1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Favourite Female Vocalist?

Discussion in 'Entertainment, Culture, and Sports' started by gamelan, Nov 10, 2006.

1. johnapril

johnapril Senior member

2. gamelan

gamelan Senior member

Anne Briggs.

-Jeff

3. JLibourel

JLibourel Senior member

4. romafan

romafan Senior member

5. Connemara

Connemara Senior member

Whitney Houston --- She has become a joke thanks to her never-ending tabloid presence, and her voice has been shot thanks to drug abuse. BUT, for the first 15 years of this woman's career, she was literally as good as anyone that had ever come before her. Whitney's voice was incomparable live. Strength, Clarity, Soul, Control - all there, as well as a mesmorizing stage presence. I don't care what anyone says, there is not a contemporary singer alive today that had as much control of their voice as Whitney did. Nobody who could transition from chest to head voice as smoothly and certainly noone with the vocal POWER and enough interpretive skills to ballance that strength with more subtle singing.

Whitney's recorded music never did her voice justice. But, if you listen to her live recordings, you'll hear the sheer brilliance of a legendary vocalist.

Or now, thanks to youtube, you can watch them. haha.

An old performance of Whitney singing the gospel hymn "A Quiet Place" with her mother's choir. Not a big stage. No lighting. No big show. Just the voice.

Whitney's legendary performance of The Star Spangled Banner from Superbowl XXV
    http://youtube.com/watch?v=STKSdLm2r...elated&search=

An over-the-top fan montage of some of Whitney's most spectacular vocal moments.

Whitney is great, obviously, but I still don't think she measures up to Shirley Bassey. No one can stuff emotion into each little world like Bassey does. She also is very expressive.

Check this out, for example. She sang this at the Royal Variety Show in 2005 when she was 69. Find me another person at this age who has pipes like this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qweky...elated&search=

And, of course, her legendary performance of "My Way" from 1983 or thereabouts.

One more...this is from 2003 I think..."I Am What I Am". The ending is magnificent.

6. JLibourel

JLibourel Senior member

Isn't she a Dixie Chick?

Yep, main vocalist for the trio

7. Saucemaster

Saucemaster Senior member

Siouxsie Sioux

Awwww, Siouxsie. I wouldn't put her as one of my favorite female vocalists if we're judging on sheer musical talent and vocal quality, but if we throw in persona/charisma/general badassedness, then much <3 for Siouxsie Sioux.

8. Bona Drag

Bona Drag Senior member

Mostly agree, although I kind of like her voice. I dunno, after a while I think great sets of pipes start to sound sort of generic and indistinguishable.

In a similar vein, I really like Karen O - you'd def never mistake her for a great soul diva, but she's a truly amazing performer and a good songwriter. The old cliche about the poppier second album was absolutely true in their case, and I loved it.

9. funk_soul_brother

funk_soul_brother Senior member

Whitney is great, obviously, but I still don't think she measures up to Shirley Bassey. No one can stuff emotion into each little world like Bassey does. She also is very expressive.

Check this out, for example. She sang this at the Royal Variety Show in 2005 when she was 69. Find me another person at this age who has pipes like this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qweky...elated&search=

And, of course, her legendary performance of "My Way" from 1983 or thereabouts.

One more...this is from 2003 I think..."I Am What I Am". The ending is magnificent.

yeah, Shirley Bassey is an incredible vocalist. it's a shame she isn't more recognized internationally. i'd wager that most people have never heard of her.

either way, to sound like that at age 69 is absurd. she must have always taken extreme care of her voice. i love the big voiced divas. Shirley is at times a little too theatrical to be in my top favourites, but she is surely on par with anyone in terms of power and raw talent.

10. Connemara

Connemara Senior member

yeah, Shirley Bassey is an incredible vocalist. it's a shame she isn't more recognized internationally. i'd wager that most people have never heard of her.

either way, to sound like that at age 69 is absurd. she must have always taken extreme care of her voice. i love the big voiced divas. Shirley is at times a little too theatrical to be in my top favourites, but she is surely on par with anyone in terms of power and raw talent.

I agree that she's theatrical at times, but that's part of her appeal (to me).

11. andyw

andyw Senior member

Hi all.....just notice this long lasting post and champing at the bit to contribute. Even more so than clothes, I love music and female vocalists always bring delight. Went right to the last page of this thread, so pardon the repetition, and will be thrilled if you also like these songbirds.

Brazilian divas
    Flora Purim
    Elis Regina
    Joyce
    Nara Leao
    Paula Morelenbaum

Jazz Divas
    Shirley HornAbbey Lincoln
    Karrin Allyson
    Irene Kral
    Diana Krall
    Jackin Cain (of Jackie & Roy)
    Nancy Wilson
    Billy Holiday
    Dinah Washington
    Helen Merrill
    Jean Carne

Pop/Rock/Folk/ R&B Divas
    Aretha
    Dianne Reeves
    Karen Carpenter
    KD Land
    Joni Mitchell
    Crystal Gayle
    Emmylou Harris
    Rebecca Pigeon
    Janis Siegel/ Cheryl Bentyne (Ladies of Manhattan Transfer)
    Jennifer Warnes
    Lea Delaria
    Natalie Merchant
    Linda Ronstadt
    Marianne Faithful
    Mama Cass Elliot
    Rickie Lee Jones
    Sade

12. Dakota rube

Dakota rube Senior member

A bit better than yesterday, all day vomiting for
    Pop/Rock/Folk/ R&B Divas
    Jennifer Warnes
    Linda Ronstadt
    Rickie Lee Jones
    Sade

Ooh, forgot these four. Nice list andyw.

13. life_interrupts

life_interrupts Senior member

Before she became a crackhead [​IMG] , Whitney Houston had everything you wanted in a vocalist: range, phrasing, depth of material (she could sing pop ballads, R&B burners, dirty blues, and jazz standards). She her perform live and you recognized she was the real deal.

As my favorites, I'll include

Sarah Vaughn[​IMG]
    Joni Mitchell
    Arthea Franklin
    Kate Bush
    Meshell N'Degeocello
    Ann Wilson[​IMG]

14. funk_soul_brother

Kate Bush is great, too! And Janis Joplin of course. Nina Simone is another favourite that I forgot the first time around. Here is a clip of 21-year-old Whitney, on the Merv Griffin show. It is her very first appearance on television and she sings "Home" from the Broadway musical "The Wiz". It is 100% evident, from the moment she walks out on the stage, that a Superstar was born. The camera absolutely adores her and she is such a natural performer and of course, that voice!

15. Connemara

Connemara Senior member

Kate Bush is great, too! And Janis Joplin of course. Nina Simone is another favourite that I forgot the first time around.

Here is a clip of 21-year-old Whitney, on the Merv Griffin show. It is her very first appearance on television and she sings "Home" from the Broadway musical "The Wiz".

It is 100% evident, from the moment she walks out on the stage, that a Superstar was born. The camera absolutely adores her and she is such a natural performer and of course, that voice!

Man, no one does it like Whitney.

16. funk_soul_brother

17. The Deacon

The Deacon Senior member

Phyllis Hyman-Living inside your love

Gladys Knight-anything

Flora Purim pre-1985- singing 500 miles High Live, catch the atmospheric note she ends the song with, only dogs can hear it!

Swing Out Sister's Lead vocalist singing Coney Island Man

Anita Baker-God Bless the Child

Deneice Williams-God is Amazing sung live will bring the house down!

18. andyw

andyw Senior member

19. quevola

quevola Senior member

Man alive - over 110 posts and only one person mentioned Natalie Merchant. Bummer[​IMG]

20. BankerBoi

BankerBoi Senior member

Nina Simone on so many soundtracks
    Nina Hagen
    Siouxsie Sioux
    Ute Lemper sings Kurt Weill
    Sook-Yin Lee (Bob's Your Uncle)
    Praga Khan
    Laurie Anderson
    Mikela J. Mikael
    Carole Pope