• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Favourite Female Vocalist?

bachbeet

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I sincerely apologize to a long-time fave of mine:

Rickie Lee Jones.

Quirk

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Full Canvas
Stacey Kent - quite the stylist with jazz and showtunes: Hushabye Mountain, Dreamsville, Easy to Remember
Dusty Springfield - so much soul
Roberta Flack - did I miss her name in the posts above? why has no one mentioned her yet?
Kiri Te Kanawa - wow!
Dolly Parton - on "Treasures" she covers Neil Young's After The Goldrush, Cat Stevens' Peace Train, and the late Randy Van Warmer's haunting Just When I Needed You Most. This is the Dolly you didn't now about. In 2000, I was driving from Manchester to Donnington Park for the annual Club Lotus event and I almost ran off the road in Macclesfield (yes, that Macclesfield) when I heard Dolly and Alison Kraus singing Just When I Needed You Most.

Already Mentioned in Previous Posts:
Ella Fitzgerald - what's not to like, never watched her live, only television
frown.gif

Sarah Vaughan - simply superb, saw her perform at supper club in Monterey, very intimate
Nina Simone – the Priestess, so much pain never sounded so good, saw her live in San Francisco
Janis Joplin - saw her live at Monterey Pops and Winterland

+1 for Dusty Springfield, Dolly Parton (very underrated), and Allison Krauss.

I was lucky enough to see Ella Fitzgerald perform in the mid-eighties -- she wasn't what was she once had been, of course, but... it was Ella!

Nina Simone's great, but I couldn't include her in a list of my favorite vocalists -- not too shabby on the piano, though.

Yikes! How could I forget k.d. lang? She's fantastic!

gamelan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Quirk

I was lucky enough to see Ella Fitzgerald perform in the mid-eighties -- she wasn't what was she once had been, of course, but... it was Ella!

that's awesome. i was 10 when she passed but if i could go back in time, she would definitely be one artist i'd like to see live.

-Jeff

redtree00

Reaction score
Angelique Kidjo
Natacha Atlas
Sevara Nazarkhan
Cesaria Evora
Dulce Pontes
Misia

Ivan Kipling

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Judy Garland

Mr. Checks

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Ooh, there are some good ones here:

+1 on Dolly Parton: compare her version of I Will Always Love You to the excrement that is Whitney Houston and understand that it is song that is whispered, nay, whimpered to one person and not belted out at the ******* Superdome to 77,000 people.

Ella: almost unfair to compare her to anyone else because she always sang the best songs.

I know there aren't a lot of classical fans here, but I urge you to listen to Gundula Janowitz singing Strauss's Four Last Songs, check out Beim Schlafengehen if you can only listen to one. It's available on I-tunes as a stand-alone under "vier letzte lieder"...(#3 song out of 4) Berliner Philharmonic/Janowitz, 6 minutes 18 seconds. Spend 99 cents and 6 minutes doing nothing but listening to that song. Find the (very moving Hesse poem) lyrics on Google and check it out.

Connemara

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Mr. Checks

I know there aren't a lot of classical fans here, but I urge you to listen to Gundula Janowitz singing Strauss's Four Last Songs, check out Beim Schlafengehen if you can only listen to one. It's available on I-tunes as a stand-alone under "vier letzte lieder"...(#3 song out of 4) Berliner Philharmonic/Janowitz, 6 minutes 18 seconds. Spend 99 cents and 6 minutes doing nothing but listening to that song. Find the (very moving Hesse poem) lyrics on Google and check it out.

Thank you very much for the tip. This woman has a divine voice. I've heard of Strauss' "Four Last Songs", but I've never listened to them...this is quite the incentive to buy the CD.

The poem is gorgeous.

oscarthewild

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If you have not heard Diamanda Galas " The Singer", you are missing out. Like EG appreciation, her qualities are not obvious. Track 1 is a gentle introduction. Listening to track 3 in a car with the volume turned up makes one see what her fans rave about.

A beautiful cross between opera and punk.

-

pinchi22

Reaction score
I agree with most of the above, but I´m surprised that k.d. lang has been left out.

matadorpoeta

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
bjork
salli terri
astrud gilberto
the girls from nouvelle vague, especially camille
the girl from the sundays
the girl from portishead
nina persson from the cardigans
thalia
shakira
chabela vargas
charlotte gainsbourg

Quirk

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by pinchi22
I agree with most of the above, but I´m surprised that k.d. lang has been left out.

I mentioned her above.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Staff online

Forum statistics