Favourite Female Vocalist?

Discussion in 'Entertainment, Culture, and Sports' started by gamelan, Nov 10, 2006.

1. skalogre

skalogre Senior member

I haven't, actually. Saw her live once; it was otherworldly. I literally felt euphoric afterward. Partially it was that I was just incredibly impressed with her range and power, but much as I love her, it was also partly one of those "because it feels so good when it stops" moments. She's amazing.

Must have been quite the experience [​IMG]

2. Tck13

Tck13 Senior member

I like some of the others mentioned. I really love Diana Krall's voice. Haven't seen her mentioned yet.

3. Britalian

Britalian Senior member

I too saw Galas at a local theatre a couple of years ago. Great set of lungs.[​IMG]
    A surprise for my date, for whom it was quite a different experience to her normal fare. Needless to say I got none that night: obviously she had no taste. [​IMG]

4. lawandorder360

lawandorder360 Well-Known Member

Mariah Carey will always be The Voice...but mostly the old stuff is any good and lives up to her title.

(putting flame suit on)

5. Saucemaster

Saucemaster Sized Down 2

I too saw her at a local theatre a couple of years ago. A surprise for my date, for whom it was quite a different experience to her normal fare. Needless to say I got none that night: obviously she had no taste. [​IMG]
    Haha, definitely not date material unless the girl is either infinitely cool or maybe real heavy into BDSM.... Only vaguely related, but my fiancee, back when we first started dating, asked me once to make sure that whatever happened, I'd wake her at 7am the next morning. I think she was imagining me bringing her a freshly-brewed cup of coffee and gently calling her name. What she got was Merzbow. I didn't get any that night, either. [​IMG]

6. Quirk

Quirk Senior member

I like some of the others mentioned. I really love Diana Krall's voice. Haven't seen her mentioned yet.

Yeah, she takes quite a bit of unfair ragging, IMO, but she's got a nice, natural sound, and she's got solid piano chops.

Mariah Carey will always be The Voice...but mostly the old stuff is any good and lives up to her title.

(putting flame suit on)

No kidding, I remember thinking Mariah Carey had some real chops back in the day, though I don't know what I'd think of it if I heard it now. I remember hearing her first track on the radio and going around to record stores looking for it, and having clerks look at me and say "Maria Who?"

How could I forget Janis Joplin? +1
    Oh, and Oleta Adams

7. Britalian

Britalian Senior member

. What she got was Merzbow.

Love The Merz!!!

8. skalogre

skalogre Senior member

Haha, definitely not date material unless the girl is either infinitely cool or maybe real heavy into BDSM.... Only vaguely related, but my fiancee, back when we first started dating, asked me once to make sure that whatever happened, she woke up by 7am next morning. I think she was imagining me bringing her a freshly-brewed cup of coffee and gently calling her name. What she got was Merzbow. I didn't get any that night, either. [​IMG]
    HAHAH! Was it from the album "Morning nature sounds and Songs by Masami Akita" [​IMG] ? (As a sidenote, I suggest you look in to SINO (re-build projects). More structured by Merzbow but good stuff) Edit: Wow, that is two people so far that know of Merzbow. Nice [​IMG] Edit 2: As for the date material stuff, I think I just lucked out with my lovely wife. She even asked me recently why we have not been to any doom/black metal shows in a few years. Noisy and weird music is not something I have to be concerned that will insult her [​IMG]

9. whoopee

whoopee Senior member

PJ Harvey, Kate Bush, Joplin, Molaskey, Ella, Bjork, Apple +1

Elizabeth Fraser
    Harriet Wheeler
    Joanna Newsom
    Emiliana Torrini
    Beth Gibbons
    Tori Amos

Neko Case
    Jenny Lewis
    Amy Milian (with these three the music they sing is more impressive than their voice)

10. kronik

kronik Senior member

Billie, Etta, Ella, Sade.. list goes on..

11. Saucemaster

Saucemaster Sized Down 2

As for the date material stuff, I think I just lucked out with my lovely wife. She even asked me recently why we have not been to any doom/black metal shows in a few years. Noisy and weird music is not something I have to be concerned that will insult her

Actually, my fiancee is really open-minded about music, and loves some of my more esoteric and avante-garde tastes. She just draws the line at extreme noise, especially at 7am (which felt even earlier in college). [​IMG]

Elizabeth Fraser
    Joanna Newsom

Wow, huge +1's on both of those.

I've always thought that Renee Fleming had a voice that was occasionally transcendent, at least in studio recordings. Unfortunately, she doesn't seem to have a particularly interesting repertoire.

12. skalogre

skalogre Senior member

Actually, my fiancee is really open-minded about music, and loves some of my more esoteric and avante-garde tastes. She just draws the line at extreme noise, especially at 7am (which felt even earlier in college). [​IMG]

Oh I am with you on the 7am thing. I have got myself in trouble for a LOT less than japanoise when played very early or very late [​IMG]

13. Histrion

Histrion Senior member

They may note be the very best ones, but I really, really like the voices of Chan Marshall and Aimee Mann.

14. whodini

whodini Conan OOOOOOO"BRIEN!

PJ Harvey, Kate Bush, Joplin, Molaskey, Ella, Bjork, Apple +1 Elizabeth Fraser Harriet Wheeler Joanna Newsom Emiliana Torrini Beth Gibbons Tori Amos Neko Case Jenny Lewis Amy Milian (with these three the music they sing is more impressive than their voice)
    Another Harriet Wheeler fan. Yes.

15. GQgeek

GQgeek Senior member

what!? No barbara streisand? [​IMG]