• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Favourite 'European' movies?

whodini

Conan OOOOOOO"BRIEN!
Reaction score
Besson: Taxi, The Big Blue, La Femme Nikita

The rest: Stalingrad (how has no one said this yet?), Amadeus (shot entirely in the Czech Repub...does that count?), Good Bye, Lenin!, Day of the Jackal, Intermission (If you haven't seen this, RENT IT NOW), Habla con Ella, The Bicycle Thief, Burnt by the Sun (fine, Russian), Das Boot, Life is Beautiful, Nosferatu, Amelie, Layer Cake, Run Lola Run, Cinema Paradiso, Europa Europa, My Life as a Dog, Red Lights... That's about all I can think of off the top of my head. "No Mans Land" should be in there somewhere even if it's Bosnian.

Britalian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Earthmover
Hollywood remade it into Wicker Park. it sucked quite spectacularly.
glad to hear that!
smile.gif

benecios

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I can't believe La Haine hasn't been mentioned.Also Snatch,I know it probably isn't everybodys cup of tea but I think it is hilarious.

Britalian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by benecios
I can't believe La Haine hasn't been mentioned.Also Snatch,I know it probably isn't everybodys cup of tea but I think it is hilarious.
It has.

I think many prefer the better London -based crime stuff of the sixties and seventies. Mr Ritchie's po-mo, 'mockney' fantasy played out at one remove.
The Long Good Friday comes to mind as a better example, possibly with less gags though.
The genre has never really appealed personally, possibly because it's home-grown. Have there been any decent Brit gangster flicks of recent years comparable the TLGF?

johnapril

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Fabienne

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Fuuma
Commenting on the avatar: what's great about kids is they can get away with bright yellow hoodies. And they're not even fussy about it, for all we know he might have jumped in a mud ditch just for the hell of it 3 seconds after this picture was taken.
icon_gu_b_slayer[1].gif

As for european movies (that's quite diverse, no realy unity there either) I'd say, since such a sizeable portion of movies were made here, they occupy, of course, a large chunk of my fav or current viewings. I'd start a post with my top 100 movies with small comments but I've already posted it on two forums so I'd feel like a major list recycler, maybe I'll do one with only european movie for this thread.

He nearly fell into a deep ravine, 3 seconds after the picture was taken...

Can you explain this part of your sentence: since such a sizeable portion of movies were made here

Where's "here"?

benecios

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Britalian
It has.

I think many prefer the better London -based crime stuff of the sixties and seventies. Mr Ritchie's po-mo, 'mockney' fantasy played out at one remove.
The Long Good Friday comes to mind as a better example, possibly with less gags though.
The genre has never really appealed personally, possibly because it's home-grown. Have there been any decent Brit gangster flicks of recent years comparable the TLGF?

I was sure it would have been mentioned but I read through the list twice and couldn't see it,I probably need new glasses.
smile.gif

I want to hate Snatch because Ritchie does annoy me because of the whole mockney thing,but I can't.It is just so funny on so many levels.

Fuuma

Franchouillard Modasse
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Fabienne
He nearly fell into a deep ravine, 3 seconds after the picture was taken...

Can you explain this part of your sentence: since such a sizeable portion of movies were made here

Where's "here"?

here=there (in Europe)

Not surprised about the ravine thing, the countryside is haven for kids but often quite stressful for parents.

Fabienne

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Fuuma
here=there (in Europe)

Not surprised about the ravine thing, the countryside is haven for kids but often quite stressful for parents.

I thought you were based in Canada, hence my question.

Is "Un meurtre" out in Canada? I heard E. Beart attended a film festival in Canada to present the film. Even though the director is French, I guess it's still listed as an American movie, though. Saw a scene on French TV. Bof. Not impressed by either Keitel or Beart. But out of context, so who knows.

Britalian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by benecios
I was sure it would have been mentioned but I read through the list twice and couldn't see it,I probably need new glasses.
smile.gif

I want to hate Snatch because Ritchie does annoy me because of the whole mockney thing,but I can't.It is just so funny on so many levels.

see page 5

Love Benigni in the Rome section of Night On Earth, confessing:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=agKs4...e=user&search=

Fuuma

Franchouillard Modasse
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Fabienne
I thought you were based in Canada, hence my question.

Is "Un meurtre" out in Canada? I heard E. Beart attended a film festival in Canada to present the film. Even though the director is French, I guess it's still listed as an American movie, though. Saw a scene on French TV. Bof. Not impressed by either Keitel or Beart. But out of context, so who knows.

"Un crime" isn't out in Canada AFAIK. Might have been presented at TO film fest though. Or maybe in MontrÃ
00a9.png
al, I'm a cinÃ
00a9.png
phile but I haven't been following recent releases much lately.

skalogre

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by whodini
Besson: Taxi, The Big Blue, La Femme Nikita

The rest: Stalingrad (how has no one said this yet?), Amadeus (shot entirely in the Czech Repub...does that count?), Good Bye, Lenin!, Day of the Jackal, Intermission (If you haven't seen this, RENT IT NOW), Habla con Ella, The Bicycle Thief, Burnt by the Sun (fine, Russian), Das Boot, Life is Beautiful, Nosferatu, Amelie, Layer Cake, Run Lola Run, Cinema Paradiso, Europa Europa, My Life as a Dog, Red Lights... That's about all I can think of off the top of my head. "No Mans Land" should be in there somewhere even if it's Bosnian.

Stalingrad was indeed good. I forgot about it.

Has anyone mentioned Luc Besson's Deep BLue? I also liked Il Postino, which someone mentioned a little earlier.

whodini

Conan OOOOOOO"BRIEN!
Reaction score
Originally Posted by skalogre
Stalingrad was indeed good. I forgot about it.

Has anyone mentioned Luc Besson's Deep BLue? I also liked Il Postino, which someone mentioned a little earlier.

"The Big Blue"=Deep Blue

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 38.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads