• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Favourite euphemisms?

Britalian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Words or phrases, ridiculously ultra-PC, ironically old-fash. etc...

coatandthai

Reaction score
"I could care less." WTF does that mean?
"pre-owned." Oh, I guess that's better than used.
"odor and wetness." I suppose that's different than stanky and sweaty.
"feminine hygiene." 'Nuff said.
"toilet paper." Beats "butt wipes."

GQgeek

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
heard this one for the first time last week (i know too many gay ppl)...

*** hag: "A *** hag is a straight girl that is best friends with a gay guy.
Usually earlier on they are in love with them before they find out they are gay
but then they just turn into best friends and friends.
Sometimes it takes them a while to get over the fact that the love of their life is a ******....however they deal with it and eventually get on with their own love life. But only if the guy they date is alright with ****."

Huntsman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I reserve a special disdain for the way individual words get dragged into euphemism, but little phrases can be very elegant and witty. My favorite:

"...and did he enjoy the usufructs of gallantry?"

- Rex Stout as Nero Wolfe

Regards,
Huntsman

GQgeek

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by hopkins_student
That's pretty funny.

Direct quote from a gay guy who's balls I was busting (figuratively) for not hooking me up with a *** hag. He was trying to convince me that i should move to the gay village b/c then i would be "in" with gay people and gain access to their straight female friends. Gotta love montreal...

EL72

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by GQgeek
Direct quote from a gay guy who's balls I was busting (figuratively) for not hooking me up with a *** hag. He was trying to convince me that i should move to the gay village b/c then i would be "in" with gay people and gain access to their straight female friends. Gotta love montreal...

He's right; it's very good advice.

whodini

Conan OOOOOOO"BRIEN!
Reaction score
Originally Posted by EL72
He's right; it's very good advice.
My gay friends always want me to hang out with them on their home turf (aka WeHo, not the other kind) exactly for this reason. Girls will go with their gay friends to bars because they know the likelihood of being hit on is slim to nil. May not be the best way to pick up on girls, especially if they're there to avoid exactly what I'm doing, but it does work. I've always liked telling someone "catch you next tuesday" in public than just calling them a ****.

Britalian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Aaron
Huh? I've never heard that one.

Are we in Derek and Clive (Cook and Moore) territory here?

Derek (or Clive, can't recall): 'Hello, Colin. How's the wife?' etc etc .. 'Ok then see you soon. {Colin leaves} ****!'

Britalian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've always found the word 'restroom' as a euphemism for 'toilet' highly amusing. Whenever I'm around Americans or indeed in the US I insist on asking for directions to the latter.
I like 'easy on the eye' for 'attractive, beautiful, gorgeous (woman)'

RJman

Posse Member
Dubiously Honored
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
"Got to see a man about a dog"
"Got to drain the weasel" (this one's my invention, hm, how would it be in Freedom? egoutter la fouine?).

King Salmon

Reaction score
Surprise sex.

Saucemaster

Sized Down 2
Reaction score
Originally Posted by GQgeek
heard this one for the first time last week (i know too many gay ppl)...

*** hag:

If the first time you heard "*** hag" was last week, I think if anything you know too *few* gay people....

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 59 39.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 15 10.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 26 17.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 26 17.3%

Forum statistics

Threads