• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Favorite wholecut in brown?

bengal-stripe

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Montesquieu
Berluti Alessandro......I couldn't figure out a way to link or copy the specific picture into this thread.
Did you mean those?
84730-1.jpg

The problem with whole cuts is the fit, they have to fit exceptionally well and ideally, they should be bespoke.

There are no seams to act as stays and prevent the leather to be pulled in all directions. If the shoes are on the snug side,
they will acquire the shape of your feet, including corns, bunions etc.

If the shoes are on the full side, the leather excess will lay itself in folds, resulting in shoes that resemble potato sacks.

Cantabrigian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by gdl203
I have a pair of Newbury and a pair of Weymouth but my favorite brown wholecuts are my Sutor Mantellassi wholecuts 969

DSC_0094.jpg

The favorite out of those I've seen pictured on SF but I don't own is VR's Vass U wholecuts

The worst wholecuts IMO are the ones on clunky lasts.

But when you combine the extra sleekness that comes with a lack of seams with aggressive antiquing, it's almost always overkill.

The dirty toe antiquing is a bit too much on an otherwise nice shoe.

Edit: I vote for they C&J Weymouth or maybe EG Newbury

tonup277

Reaction score
wow, those scaforas are nice!
i read on another post that these can only be purchased if you are a scafora bespoke customer - is that true?
if it's not true, anyone know if these can be purchased in the states?

Gus

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I love the look of wholecuts when brand new and unworn. But I dislike the fact that the creases get all the attention once worn. Maybe I'll just get a pair, put them on my shelf, under glass, and gaze at them........
smile.gif

Aaron01

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Eustace Tilley
Panzer's latest post inspired me to look into Scafora. These are nice:

scarpa_tris.jpg

11.jpg

I don't usually like wholecuts, but those are exquisite.

George

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Aaron01
I don't usually like wholecuts, but those are exquisite.

Those are hideous, a wholecut is a very sleek shoe, so they should be minimalist, nothing should stand out and draw the eye away from their form in my opinion. Those soles are horrible and so is the shape. Herman Munster springs to mind.

RJman

Posse Member
Dubiously Honored
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by bengal-stripe
As the old proverb goes:
"One man's meat is another man's poison."

...must... prevent self... from making... **** joke...

George

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Uncontrol
Definitely. Not the sort of thing that I would wear but I think that they are absolutely beautiful.

I think the colouring of the shoes is very nice and the construction is probably top notch, it's just when I look at the shoe my eyes are drawn to the "clunky" soles (look at the 1st picture, the tan shoe, far left) it just doesn't look right to me. I have a pair of G&G wholecuts which I absolutely adore so I'm aware I may be a little prejudiced here. Bengal Stripe I'm interested by your point about wholecuts best being made bespoke, when I ordered my G&G's I was told that some shoe styles don't suit bespoke due to the imperfections and asymmetry of the human foot and are best realised in RTW/MTO lasts. Interesting...

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads