• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Favorite video game soundtracks

toothsomesound

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My favorite video-game composer is hands down (yes even over Nobuo) Kota Hoshino. The dude is very divisive, but I think he's a mad genius. He makes some very dissonant music, often times in strange time signatures of having no time at all. He also does some very evocative, ethereal, melodic stuff. He makes frequent use of strange keyboard effects and warped vocals. He is know best for his work at FromSoftware most notably for the Armored Core series. He is also the crazy brilliant asshole behind the soundtracks for the eccentric but subpar action-rpg's Evergrace and Forever Kingdom, which are my two favorite OST's EVER. **** sounds like Sigur Ros on psychotropic drugs.
bounce2.gif
A lot of this is not easy listening....

Armored Core

IMPORTANT NOTICE: No media files are hosted on these forums. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website. We can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. If the video does not play, wait a minute or try again later. I AGREE

TIP: to embed Youtube clips, put only the encoded part of the Youtube URL, e.g. eBGIQ7ZuuiU between the tags.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: No media files are hosted on these forums. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website. We can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. If the video does not play, wait a minute or try again later. I AGREE

TIP: to embed Youtube clips, put only the encoded part of the Youtube URL, e.g. eBGIQ7ZuuiU between the tags.

Evergrace

Forever Kingdom

THIS SONG IS A MASTERPIECE!!!
worship2.gif

barims

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm fond of a great many, to the point that I have a few gigs worth of these soundtracks:

Kazuhiko Uehara's work for TMNT IV: Turtles in Time and TMNT: Tournament Fighters for SNES. He may or may not have worked on the first TMNT Game Boy game, which I also love
Mega Man 2
Stunt Race FX
The Japanese Philharmonic performances of Nintendo music pieces
Star Fox 64
Balloon Kid
F-Zero 64
Frontlines, which does a great riff on John Powell's scores for the Jason Bourne trilogy
Moji Pittan. There are a few original and oddly affecting "picopop" tracks, some of which are remixed by a selection of then-top ranking Japanese pop production wizards/recording artists
Liar's Game, produced by Moji Pittan remixer and prolific producer of bona fide pop stars Capsule, Perfume, MEG and various others; Yasutaka Nakata
Tekken 2
Coloris, which features compositions from one of my favourite ever artists and producers, Cornelius
Super Smash Brothers
A number of Mario Brothers games, principally Doctor Mario
The Metal Gear Solid series
Robocop's Game Boy introduction theme, which also doubled as the theme from the Ariston adverts

I also like chiptune; the genre comprised of people composing original music from 8-bit technology or emulators. YMCK, from Japan, is my favourite act; their jazz and rock'n'roll inflected songs are quite the treat

Slopho

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Also, Spider man and Rambo 3 for Sega Genesis

XenoX101

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
A few of mine Tyrian, one of the first soundtracks I got into, surprisingly good considering it was a fairly lighthearted top down shooter.

TIP: to embed Youtube clips, put only the encoded part of the Youtube URL, e.g. eBGIQ7ZuuiU between the tags. Battle Squadron for Amiga, sounds very dated now but man this was the **** back in the day

TIP: to embed Youtube clips, put only the encoded part of the Youtube URL, e.g. eBGIQ7ZuuiU between the tags. Hybris for Amiga, same diff as the above, still love it

TIP: to embed Youtube clips, put only the encoded part of the Youtube URL, e.g. eBGIQ7ZuuiU between the tags. Novastorm was also good, incredibly good, and again it was a shoot em up style game. (I've only picked one song but the whole soundtrack is equally good)

TIP: to embed Youtube clips, put only the encoded part of the Youtube URL, e.g. eBGIQ7ZuuiU between the tags. Lotus Esprit Turbo Challenge for Amiga, what a great game this was, pity you could only hear music at the start and in between levels, but boy was it god.

TIP: to embed Youtube clips, put only the encoded part of the Youtube URL, e.g. eBGIQ7ZuuiU between the tags. Alien Breed for Amiga, this soundtrack kicked, utter, ass.

TIP: to embed Youtube clips, put only the encoded part of the Youtube URL, e.g. eBGIQ7ZuuiU between the tags. Another World for Amiga, the music was very simple, but showed how effective music can be in conveying a mood, however simple it may be.

TIP: to embed Youtube clips, put only the encoded part of the Youtube URL, e.g. eBGIQ7ZuuiU between the tags. Diablo creeped me out when I was young just through the soundtrack

TIP: to embed Youtube clips, put only the encoded part of the Youtube URL, e.g. eBGIQ7ZuuiU between the tags. Starcraft's unique soundtrack never got tired

TIP: to embed Youtube clips, put only the encoded part of the Youtube URL, e.g. eBGIQ7ZuuiU between the tags. Command & Conquer, especially the concluding song of GDI

TIP: to embed Youtube clips, put only the encoded part of the Youtube URL, e.g. eBGIQ7ZuuiU between the tags. Total Annihilation, don't really need to say anything but put simply, it was just incredible. And it came as such a surprise, keep in mind this was over 10 years ago before games had a significant market, soundtracks of this caliber in games were completely unheard of.

TIP: to embed Youtube clips, put only the encoded part of the Youtube URL, e.g. eBGIQ7ZuuiU between the tags. More to come as I think of them..

milosh

Reaction score
I loved the Quake 2 soundtrack done by Sonic Mayhem.

Descent into Cerberon

Quad Machine

Rage

fwiffo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
This will probably show my age but I played mostly PC games when I was young so my favourites were Deus Ex, Myth (1, not the sequels), ..oh of course Star Control 2.

I guess I tend to gravitate towards electronic things.

The one that is addictive as hell is the original Game Boy Tetris one.

Deluks917

Reaction score
Some of my favorite re-interpretations of Castlevania songs. Ignore the costume on the second guy. Bloody Tears Remix:

TIP: to embed Youtube clips, put only the encoded part of the Youtube URL, e.g. eBGIQ7ZuuiU between the tags. Vampire Killer played on Violin:

TIP: to embed Youtube clips, put only the encoded part of the Youtube URL, e.g. eBGIQ7ZuuiU between the tags. Arranged version of Dwelling of Doom:

Slopho

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by alenmcmilan
Zelda
Final fantasy series
Modern Warfare
Super Mario
Tekken 2
Need for speed

This has music?

Don Carlos

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Slopho
This has music?

Modern Warfare 2 has some pretty awesome music, actually, of the admittedly cheesy and rousingly overdone Hans Zimmer variety (actually composed by Hans Zimmer, if I recall). But it's pretty great. Really adds to the tension and the mood in certain levels, and gives the game a cinematic quality even during normal gameplay, and not just in cutscenes.

Best all-time game soundtrack, IMO, is either Final Fantasy 3/6 or Xenogears. Great game music was one of the best rewards for those of us nerdy enough to have frittered away some junior high or high school weekdays on RPGs.

Contingency Plan

Reaction score
Mgs3
Ff8/10

Edit: And Silent Hill 2

Can't believe I forgot Quake 1 + 2 - a treat for Industrial Rock fans (NIN/Sonic Mayhem, respectively)

burningbright

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by fwiffo
This will probably show my age but I played mostly PC games when I was young so my favourites were Deus Ex, Myth (1, not the sequels), ..oh of course Star Control 2.

I guess I tend to gravitate towards electronic things.

The one that is addictive as hell is the original Game Boy Tetris one.

I actually went back a couple months ago and found a torrent of Myth. I can't believe I forgot how much I loved that game. The soundtrack coupled with the journal narrator continues to remain a superb combination and even the playability of the game after 12 years was still engaging.

Too bad O'Donnell and Salvatori both bit hard off this soundtrack and stuck a lot of the music in Halo.

Definitely brought back memories of playing Half-Life and MDK. Speaking of MDK, anybody remember that weird music video they played after you beat the game? Just dug it up and watched it again. It has not withstood the test of time quite as well as the game.

Blackfyre

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
No love for goldeneye? :roma:
Metalgear series
Devil may cry 1
Halo
Shadow of the colossus (sp)
Hitman series

scugger

Reaction score
I'm gonna go ahead and say Final Fantasy 6 and Chrono Trigger on SNES.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 88 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.6%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads