1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Favorite troll?

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by esquire., Oct 1, 2004.

1. esquire.

esquire. Senior member

I also remember when somebody on this forum decided to impersonate marc39 here with a username that would identify himself as the infamous marc39. I thought it was so surreal that somebody would do this, considering how many times mark had taken up multiple aliases himself. Unfortunately, that post got deleted.

2. kidkim2

kidkim2 Senior member

Reminds me of the time Jim Carey did an impersonation of Jimmy Stewart doing an impression of Jim Carey With the real Jimmy Stewart looking on.

3. Nick M

Nick M Senior member

Yeah, that was me, sorry everyone. I was waiting at home for a delivery, and was bored out of my mind. Â [​IMG]
    I'll PM you a very long list. Â [​IMG]

4. A Harris

A Harris Senior member Dubiously Honored

I missed this.. Anybody got a link?

5. Alias

Alias Senior member

I loved that Hilfiger/Lang/Ford bit. Also, people have their definition of a "troll" confused with the definition of a "gimmick." A troll is someone who flames up threads for absolutely no reason at all except to simply be a dork. A person can flame once in a while and not be a troll. A person who consistently hijacks threads and generally makes reading it and participating in it unbearable is a troll. A gimmick is something like Tommy Hilfiger. It's a guy hiding behind the anonymity of the Internet to pretend he's someone else. Some are funny. Most are not. So what you had with kalra was both a troll AND a gimmick, a stunning combination of awfully bad posting. My favorite has to be marc39 though, especially when he just right out of the blue made an anti-French attack against Pierre (the same one on the London Lounge, I believe.) Edit: Here's the link to the Tommy Hilfiger thread with Lang and Ford. It is pure hilarity and one of my favorite threads ever. http://www.styleforum.net/cgi-bin....0;st=30

6. Nick M

Nick M Senior member

Here you go. I should point out that I was just Lang and Ford, I have no idea who 'Tommy Hilfiger' was. (And I was going to do Hedi Slimane and Marc Jacobs as well - their pictures were all on the same page - but J locked the topic.) [​IMG]

7. Thracozaag

Thracozaag Senior member

I have a new personal favorite, but I won't divulge his name. [​IMG] koji

8. VMan

VMan Senior member

(A Harris @ 04 Oct. 2004, 02:22) I missed this.. Anybody got a link?
    Here you go. I should point out that I was just Lang and Ford, I have no idea who 'Tommy Hilfiger' was. (And I was going to do Hedi Slimane and Marc Jacobs as well - their pictures were all on the same page - but J locked the topic.) Â [​IMG]
    Yeah, I wonder who he could have been.... [​IMG]

9. marc37

marc37 Senior member

Does anybody have a list of the pseudonames marc39 was using on the askandy site.
    marc39=savile1, cityslicker, brummel, kirkland, marc38. l suspect he may have been others but l am uncertain. Marc39 was an excellent troll, he was entertaining. Kalra sucked: he was disruptive and boring. He hijacked too many threads and invaded them with copious waffle. P.S: l think marc39 has re-entered AFF as stylesubstance. [​IMG]

10. marc37

marc37 Senior member

The problem with marc39 was that he never was good at taking on different identities, he was always tripping up and revealing himself. He would always use the same [unusual] punctuation and phrasing; eg ** Sometimes he even forgot to log off as marc39 and would talk as cityslicker. Very funny. l miss him and hope he will be back soon. l have tried to convince Malinda and Andy to give him another go after a short ban. l believe marc39 will appear soon.

11. marc37

marc37 Senior member

12. marc37

marc37 Senior member

This guy is so sick he even made over 1200 irrelevant posts.

Kalra was this guys apprentice.

13. christian

christian Senior member

How were you guys able to track these people down? One time, I found something that let you find a person's IP address, but I think they charged money to do this. And, is that all the info you can find, just their IP and the city? Or, can you actually find more info.

How did everybody figure out marc39 was really marc goldstein when he signed his name as marc grayson?

14. esquire.

esquire. Senior member

marc37,

I hate you so much for putting up that link about tagman77. I was really bored, so I decided to see how somebody could post over 1000 irrelevant posts. They were vulgar, sexist posts or just the stupidest things I've ever read. I've felt that I've learned so much from this forum. After reading some of his posts, my IQ has dropped. He must be a troll; nobody could be that inane or stupid.

I'm just wondering what the rules are to a forum like this, and what we could do if he ever found this site? Is there some rule that states that any posts must pass a certain threshold of intelligence?

15. Steve B.

Steve B. Senior member

We cannot reveal our secrets.

16. A Harris

A Harris Senior member Dubiously Honored

Steve, that comment next to your Doctor Evil avatar is hilarious [​IMG]

17. Kasper

Kasper Senior member

This might seem like an odd thread to resurrect but having joined only recently I only began to understand some of the inside jokes on SF after reading through the replies here. It might be good for other new members who don't want to feel so out of the loop. There are still a bunch of references I still can't figure out but I guess is part of the appeal of a place like this...

18. lawyerdad

lawyerdad Senior member

This might seem like an odd thread to resurrect but having joined only recently I only began to understand some of the inside jokes on SF after reading through the replies here. It might be good for other new members who don't want to feel so out of the loop. There are still a bunch of references I still can't figure out but I guess is part of the appeal of a place like this...
    No, it's just you.
    [​IMG]

19. thinman

thinman Senior member

Kasper are you a troll?...unwilling to let your handiwork fade into oblivion?[​IMG]