1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Favorite troll?

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by esquire., Oct 1, 2004.

1. esquire.

esquire. Senior member

With all the recent publicity, it seems we're also starting to get our fair share of trollers as well. I just feel that the Spencer Karter character must be a troll. If you've read askandy's posts, you'll understand why. He always mentions that he's 18, and that he has autism. Very strange.

Any favorites? Any special topics that were classics?

For my criteria, I still feel a troll should be relevant to the focus of the forum. So, someone like Tagman77 on the askandy forum automatically gets disqualified because he just randomly posts these inflammatory posts that have nothing to do with anything clothes related, and then never responds.

And, I also feel that even if it was a troll, they should add something to the discussion or at least, start an interesting discussion. Or, just be plain funny.

This and the askandy has had their share of trolls: there was the paramilitary guy who wanted advice bout women, marc39 assuming all these different aliases to attack other people, the indian billionare. For awhile, I thought that marc37 was one too when he was posting about his vitamin water.

I really liked what the Karla character did. He didn't come right out; he slowly built up the charade. And, he was totally committed to that character.

2. VMan

VMan Senior member

Kalra was the best, hands-down.

3. Mike C.

Mike C. Senior member

4. Thracozaag

Thracozaag Senior member

Nothing, I repeat NOTHING will ever top Josh on the old askandyforum.

koji

5. jcusey

jcusey Senior member Dubiously Honored

I wonder if he's found any clear metal collar stays yet.

6. Thracozaag

Thracozaag Senior member

(Thracozaag @ 01 Oct. 2004, 07:58) Nothing, I repeat NOTHING will ever top Josh on the old askandyforum.
    Someone should post that entire thread; it's beyond classic. And his picture of the improperly inserted shoetrees is absolutely priceless. koji

7. Bic Pentameter

Bic Pentameter Senior member

I miss Josh too. He was so engaging, and unlike many other trolls, so good natured. Unless anyone wants to step forward and take responsibility for that character, I am sticking by my theory that he was a bored Jerry Seinfeld.

Bic

8. aybojs

aybojs Senior member

Another memorable troll from the old days was the Miami Vice guy from the MM forums. He would rant on and on about how he was railing against conformity by buying 2378974 unconstructed pink sportcoats from International Male, then ironically start bashing anyone who didn't conform to his own stylistic tastes. I think there were two different incarnations of him IIRC.

9. jcusey

jcusey Senior member Dubiously Honored

Here's the clear metal collar stay thread. Alas, the picture is gone, but here's the thread featuring the improperly-inserted shoe trees.

10. imageWIS

imageWIS Senior member

(Thracozaag @ 01 Oct. 2004, 07:58) Nothing, I repeat NOTHING will ever top Josh on the old askandyforum.
    He hasn't. I'm in regular contact with Lt. Cmdr Scott and he has not received any inquires regarding any transparent metal collar stays. [​IMG] Jon.

11. Thracozaag

Thracozaag Senior member

Absolutely; he VERY much reminds me of the character who wrote "Letters from a Nut"--my theory is it's either Seinfeld or Larry David.

koji

12. T4phage

T4phage Senior member

(Thracozaag @ 01 Oct. 2004, 08:03) Someone should post that entire thread; it's beyond classic. Â And his picture of the improperly inserted shoetrees is absolutely priceless.
    Here's the clear metal collar stay thread. Alas, the picture is gone, but here's the thread featuring the improperly-inserted shoe trees.
    Although I was not a member of clothing forums back then, those links are rich... [​IMG] Thanks Jcusey. I'm just looking thru some of the topics like "wool pants", excellent. Why can't the current trolls be like that?

13. Ambulance Chaser

Ambulance Chaser Senior member

My vote goes to ClassyFreddy.  He came swinging right out of the gate, like Mike Tyson in days of old.  I think he holds the record for fastest banning.

14. imageWIS

imageWIS Senior member

You mean topics like why NM only accepts their Charge Card and AmEx only? (sorry, I'll stop [​IMG] ) Jon.

15. MikeF

MikeF Senior member

16. Mike C.

Mike C. Senior member

Best Josh thread: Do drycleaners exist? and the one about the exhaust from cars ruining his pants.

MikeVice was awesome too. Someone please dig up his rant about how the style of Miami Vice is timeless.

Also, GQAirlinePilot was hilarious on the old GQ Forum. Thanks to him this board was created.

17. Thracozaag

Thracozaag Senior member

I believe Josh once also was distressed over the fact that his suits weren't properly allowed to "breathe" and were thus in danger of being suffocated.

koji

18. norcaltransplant

norcaltransplant Senior member

Strangely enough I was a lurker on both the modernman and ask andy forum around the arrival of Josh. I think the sheer entertainment value of his posts encouraged my entry into these forums.

newyawkcal

19. Nick M

Nick M Senior member

Yeah, Josh5414 was an excellent character: If nothing else, he certainly spurred vigorous debate. My favorite, I think, was the one where he 'revealed' that instead of sending his Lands' End wool trousers to the dry-cleaner, he would simply exchange them for a new pair every few months. Or the thread where he wanted to know the most conservative side on which to part his hair. [​IMG] My theory is that he 'evolved' into Joshua on the Ask Andy board. I also enjoy Marc39's many pseudonyms, especially when they have entire conversations with each other in threads made with the express purpose of promoting/bashing one product or another. The gimmicks usually give themselves away in their initial posting, always saying something like 'I'm a long-time lurker, and I've learned a lot from everyone here, especially that stylish Marc Grayson'.

20. MikeF

MikeF Senior member

By the way, I am steadfast in my belief that Josh was not a troll. I really do think he was just a very confused teenager.