• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Favorite Tee Brands

teeman1

Reaction score
so for those of you that do like graphic tees, what brands do you like?

BrettChaotix

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
See pages 1 & 2 of same thread
sarcasm.gif

Big Pun

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Casey
I don't know if I've ever found the prefect tee. I have a bunch that I like but none actually have everything that I want. However, if American Apparel tees actually fit people who aren't fat hipsters with beerguts, they'd be perfect.

FTFM

Originally Posted by tagutcow
Alternative Apparel Eco Heather (extremely flattering)
JC Penney / Arizona ($5.00 a pop on sale, as it always is. Fits me better than AA)

Do the JC Penney tees taper?

Oh yeah some graphic tees I like (and I'm picky as ****)

Wings + Horns
The cast
Yoko D (RIP I think)

tagutcow

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Big Punisher
FTFM

Do the JC Penney tees taper?

They seem more square cut to me, but they're stretchy, and a reasonable length.

American Apparel certainly has the economies of scale to make several cuts of t-shirts, so I don't see why they don't. At least, they could test market something, maybe give it a name like "American Apparel's new SaneFitâ„¢ T-Shirts". There are tons of people like me who would love nothing more than to buy American-made t-shirts, but just can't get behind AA.

Also, I bought two Bana Republic slim fit Ts. One is navy and fits great, the other one is grey and has a neckhole that's too tight. Production variances FTL. Another reason I guess you should check everything out in the fitting room first.

Big Pun

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yeah I definetely lost the urge to buy unknown brand tees online anymore. I may try alt apparel as I've heard it fits slim, however. That's it.

tagutcow

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yeah I definetely lost the urge to buy unknown brand tees online anymore. I may try alt apparel as I've heard it fits slim, however. That's it.

There are differences even among the Alt.A shirts. I bought a tonal stripe tee and a scrum rugby crew (since returned) and both fit more like American Apparel. The acid wash shirts and eco-heather crews fit very well, especially in length.

If excessive length is a problem, just look for the Alt.A shirts that are unisex-cut. Ironically, the unisex t-shirts fit my rugged manly form better than the non-unisex shirts.

The crews are always on sale at Amazon, and you can get the v-necks for a similar price whenever Tobi has a sale. Honestly, I love the eco-heather v-necks so much I've even considered making them my own "uniform".

Big Pun

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks, tagut. The problem isn't length, it's that most brands don't fit my "athletic" body type well. I've even considered buying A&F tees. (
facepalm.gif
) I'm going to try an eco heather v-neck.

tagutcow

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks, tagut. The problem isn't length, it's that most brands don't fit my "athletic" body type well. I've even considered buying A&F tees. (
facepalm.gif
)

Heh. I play pool with some fratty guys at college bars, and most of them wear those tight-fit A&F t-shirts that are washed to the color of dryer lint, along with light wash denim, presumably also from A&F. Really, if you have the physique for it, it's not the worst look in the world.

I'm going to try an eco heather v-neck.
I can't praise them enough. What else can you get for $15 that's 200% style?

Plus, not only do you get an awesome shirt, but they throw in a cool sampler CD and fap-worthy magalog. Quite unlike American Apparel models, Alt.A models haz bewbs.

stylesmurf

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Robert
Graphics t-shirts feel silly on me. Could be an age-appropriate thing.

Yup. Older folks can still pull it off with some graphic tees that are alot more subtle/rare/interesting in informal situations but once you get up there fogghet it.

Asch

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Big Punisher,

Have you tried Target's Mossimo athletic-fit tees? Quality control is awful (as with many t-shirt manufacturers), so you'll want to try on a couple in the changing room to account for variations in cut, but in general, they fit very well, with a significant taper, slim sleeves, and lengths a lot more reasonable than American Apparel's. I agree with you that AA shirts fit well only if you're skinny or overweight.

Banana Republic's slim tees are also good, though their sleeve length and body length can be a bit short sometimes.

cocostella

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
http://www.gap.com/browse/product.do...d=1&pid=648975 Fit similar to old AA non-deep v necks, but with much softer hand. Sleeves are just a tad shorter and overall length is much shorter than AA's current version. MUCH softer material and very consitent fit quality. FYI Gap SM = AA MD. My red one, like the one linked above is breaking into a kind of nice Nantucket red.

stylesmurf

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Asch
Big Punisher,

Have you tried Target's Mossimo athletic-fit tees? Quality control is awful (as with many t-shirt manufacturers), so you'll want to try on a couple in the changing room to account for variations in cut, but in general, they fit very well, with a significant taper, slim sleeves, and lengths a lot more reasonable than American Apparel's. I agree with you that AA shirts fit well only if you're skinny or overweight.

Banana Republic's slim tees are also good, though their sleeve length and body length can be a bit short sometimes.

I have two of those Mossimo tshirts (plain) and while the fit is great, they have started to pill very early.

everybodynobody

Reaction score
The basic American Apparel cotton shirts work best for me. At my height and build, its difficult to find relatively slim fitting shirts that aren't too short. I appreciate the generous length of AA Ts. There are probably better T-shirts, but I'm not willing to pay more than $10 or so for a plain T-shirt to knock around in. For the price-quality-fit ratio, AA is hard to beat at eBay reseller prices.

Asch

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have two of those Mossimo tshirts (plain) and while the fit is great, they have started to pill very early.
Strange -- I have had over a dozen of them, some of which I have washed (warm) and dried (hot) dozens of times, and none has showed any pilling. I'm not sure I've had any brand of t-shirts pill, in fact
eh.gif

Big Pun

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The Mossimo had cartoonishly tight sleeves and long blousy bodies. I tried on like 10 also. Sucks because I like their shallow vee necks. I'll just see how the Alt App works out.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 88 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 37.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 37 15.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads