• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Favorite state capitol building

AintDatRite

Reaction score
For me, its South Carolina's capitol, but I'm biased:

60-state-house-from-above.jpg

It has bronze stars on the side of the building indicating where Sherman's army hit it with shells... and, more importantly, I'm considering running in 2010 to occupy an office in that building.

AintDatRite

Reaction score
Well, people have said Florida resembles a flaccid penis... why shouldnt the state capitol be a phallic symbol. Whomever designed that HAD to realize what the building with two 'globes' would do to the view...

JetBlast

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
That building looks like a prison watch tower.

FLMountainMan

White Hispanic
Reaction score
Originally Posted by AintDatRite
Well, people have said Florida resembles a flaccid penis... why shouldnt the state capitol be a phallic symbol. Whomever designed that HAD to realize what the building with two 'globes' would do to the view...

It's absolutely hilarious. My house is five blocks away (to the left of the overpass) and I take newcomers out on that overpass and show them all the time. I actually met a girl when I was lobbying who said she worked in "the left nut" (Senate).

Connemara

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by SField
Austin for me, by a long shot. Philly's town hall makes you feel like you're in Paris. It might just trump all government buildings in the US. It's so shockingly beautiful, it looks like something from a dream.
Wow, gorgeous.
philacityhall.jpg
and, more importantly, I'm considering running in 2010 to occupy an office in that building.
I'll manage your campaign.
smile.gif
Originally Posted by FLMountainMan
It's absolutely hilarious. My house is five blocks away (to the left of the overpass) and I take newcomers out on that overpass and show them all the time. I actually met a girl when I was lobbying who said she worked in "the left nut" (Senate).
Wait, you mean that monstrosity is actually part of the capitol complex? What the **** does the nice, stately building serve as if the balls are the Senate/House chambers?

random-adam

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
For me, its South Carolina's capitol, but I'm biased...

It has bronze stars on the side of the building indicating where Sherman's army hit it with shells... and, more importantly, I'm considering running in 2010 to occupy an office in that building.

I lived in Rosewood for a bit; that was an exceptionally nice-looking building to drive past on the way to work. That, and the incongruity of riding a bicycle past the rebel flag out front on my way to Art Bar on Friday nights... Columbia was a surprisingly fun & quirky town.

FLMountainMan

White Hispanic
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Connemara
Wow, gorgeous.

philacityhall.jpg

I'll manage your campaign.
smile.gif

Wait, you mean that monstrosity is actually part of the capitol complex? What the **** does the nice, stately building serve as if the balls are the Senate/House chambers?

The nice, stately building is the old capitol. Its current function is only as a museum (and they almost bulldozed it in the 70's). The penis houses the executive offices and some of the legislative. The left nut is the Senate, the right nut is the House. There are also three more shorter buildings attached to it by one or more skywalks. The place is a real maze. The complex is on the highest hill in the city (Tally is remarkably hilly - I live 160 ft above seal level and the end of my block is 95 feet) and no other building can come within a certain height of the penis.

And that Philly capitol is beautiful. Just amazing. I wish we had that here.

kwilkinson

Having a Ball
Reaction score
I like Naptown.

indianastatehouse.jpg

statehouse.jpg

statehouse2.jpg

Inside view across the rotunda:
statehouserotunda.jpg

And looking up into the rotunda is pretty breathtaking IRL.
rotunda.jpg

AintDatRite

Reaction score
Originally Posted by random-adam
I lived in Rosewood for a bit; that was an exceptionally nice-looking building to drive past on the way to work. That, and the incongruity of riding a bicycle past the rebel flag out front on my way to Art Bar on Friday nights... Columbia was a surprisingly fun & quirky town.

Small world! I own two rental properties in Shandon and I go to Art Bar once or twice a month... rather interesting crowd.

Yup, the Confederate battle flag is still flown on the state house grounds but at least they defeated the bill by a certain state senator who wanted to build a 6-foot bronze statue of a fetus on the state house grounds. He said it would be a 'tourist attraction' and funded mostly by private funds. It was supposed to indicate the state was against abortions.... Give me a break! I cant believe they even considered that asinine idea much less letting it get to the final rounds before it was defeated. I'm sure it wouldve been a tourist attraction - for a few unbalanced people.

SField

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
As a kid I got to travel all around the world and had seen a lot of great things but for some reason, when we first rode in from the airport into Philly, it literally took my breath away seeing that building. I guess it was the context, the modern american city. I don't know why but I honestly stare at it every time I go back. The kimmel center is also really great, I love that place. Philly is just awesome to be honest.

robbie

Pleading Poverty
Reaction score
I believe OK, was one of the last to get a dome, and is one of the only ones with active oil derricks on the property.

Dakota rube

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by robbie
Nebraska:
Nebraska.jpg

My great-grandfather actually was the chief glazier on this building.
smile.gif

I'll submit this for consideration among the ugliest (North Dakota):
AOB2451.jpg

And this among the prettiest (Minnesota):
the-minnesota-state-capitol-building.jpg

crazyquik

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Dakota rube

I'll submit this for consideration among the ugliest (North Dakota):
AOB2451.jpg

This is not the North Carolina state capitol (old, small, outgrown long ago), however it is the building that the legislature sits in, and makes all the laws, so its essentially the functional capitol building.

legbuilding.jpg

uhoh.gif

romafan

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Has anyone actually been inside City Hall in Philly?
lookaround.gif
cry.gif
uhoh.gif
eek.gif
crazy.gif

Perhaps it's been fixed up some. It was a true sh!thole '87 - '94. A more depressing place I can not imagine....

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads