Favorite shirt material?

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by chorse123, Dec 19, 2008.

1. Hany

Hany Senior member

Silk is great for the summer.

Otherwise cotton.

2. fritzl

fritzl Senior member

Not as durable I suppose? I like being able to abuse my OCBDs without mercy.

Are you serious about growing up in the U.S and A.

Chambray is a national treasure. I discoverd it through Ralph twenty years ago. I love'em

Btw, you haven't lived unless, you own one.

PS: They would compliment your Rubinacci's in a blissful manner. Ask your mentor.

3. Manton

Manton RINO Dubiously Honored

Are you serious about growing up in the U.S and A.

Chambray is a national treasure. I discoverd it through Ralph twenty years ago. I love'em

Btw, you haven't lived unless, you own one.

PS: They would compliment your Rubinacci's in a blissful manner. Ask your mentor.

Growing up, I knew all about chambray, or thought I did, but always associated it with stuff that I would never wear in a dress shirt. Seeing the S&G swatches was a revelation.

4. EL72

EL72 Senior member

Light blue end-on-end or chambray.

I also love a simple 1" sq. light blue check on white in twill or broadcloth. Perfect for when a white ground is better than blue but you can't go with solid white.

5. AndrewRogers

AndrewRogers Senior member

I can't go past oxford cloth. For me, it does everything I want, and most people I work with know so little about dressing that they don't really care about its 'inappropriateness'. It also makes me look a little more buff than I really am [​IMG]

6. fritzl

fritzl Senior member

Growing up, I knew all about chambray, or thought I did, but always associated it with stuff that I would never wear in a dress shirt. Seeing the S&G swatches was a revelation.

First: I didn't address it at you, anyway. Revelation, that's what I do not get?

As far as I remember fan's Rubinacci's are sport coats and I didn't say, that it is the stuff for dress shirt's.

You would be the "first" to have a chambray with french cuffs and shark collar. [​IMG]

7. Mildly Consumptive

Mildly Consumptive Senior member

Considering that we're in the middle of Snowmageddon right now and it is minus 21 Celsius, my favourite shirt cloth is Acorn's Kendal made from 80% cotton and 20% wool. It's warm to the touch.

8. Manton

Manton RINO Dubiously Honored

First: I didn't address it at you, anyway. Revelation, that's what I do not get?

As far as I remember fan's Rubinacci's are sport coats and I didn't say, that it is the stuff for dress shirt's.

You would be the "first" to have a chambray with french cuffs and shark collar. [​IMG]

Ever the gentleman.

My point is that your contention that Americans ought to appreciate chambray appears to be based on a misunderstanding of the stuff we are used to, the stuff that gets mass-marketed here. It is, frankly, not very good. Certainly not worthy of cutting into a fitted shirt meant for a tie, even a casual tie with tweeds. It's work cloth.

The S&G chambray, on the other hand, is very good.

9. mafoofan

mafoofan THE FOO Dubiously Honored

And suits, too. But I don't hesitate to wear OCBDs with my suits, so I imagine chambray would be no problem.

Still, I don't really have a need for them. I have all my bases covered as is: (1) OCBDs for casual and less dressy wear, and (2) much finer shirts (mostly twill) for when I want to dress up and iron more.

10. speedster.8

speedster.8 Senior member

Twill

coton/cashmere or linen/coton

11. fritzl

fritzl Senior member

Ever the gentleman.

My point is that your contention that Americans ought to appreciate chambray appears to be based on a misunderstanding of the stuff we are used to, the stuff that gets mass-marketed here. It is, frankly, not very good. Certainly not worthy of cutting into a fitted shirt meant for a tie, even a casual tie with tweeds. It's work cloth.

The S&G chambray, on the other hand, is very good.

My conclusion of this evening/night is, that "we" are all walking in a good direction.

That's what I take home from tonight.

12. fritzl

fritzl Senior member

And suits, too. But I don't hesitate to wear OCBDs with my suits, so I imagine chambray would be no problem.

Still, I don't really have a need for them. I have all my bases covered as is: (1) OCBDs for casual and less dressy wear, and (2) much finer shirts (mostly twill) for when I want to dress up and iron more.

ad 1 sorry for missing the suits. I wouldn't recommend chambray(I know) with dress suits. OMG, I talk like ACAC [​IMG]

ad 2: There's no need. Just have a look. Tongue in cheek: Normally you listen to your mentor.

13. Artisan Fan

Artisan Fan Suitsupply-sider

Riva fabrics.
    Various cotten/linen blends.
    I like the Kiton royal oxford cloth a lot but forget the maker.

14. yfyf

yfyf Affiliate vendor Affiliate Vendor

Plain 'ol white cotton oxford or pinpoint.

15. andreyb2

andreyb2 Senior member

Pardon my ignorance, but what S&G stands for?

ANdrey