• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Favorite Red Wine

Lucky7

Reaction score
I'm a newer member here, and one of my passions is wine. I love a big, bold, full bodied cabernet, however I appreciate many other varieties as well. I do enjoy white, however red is my favorite. Just wondering what do you guys like to drink? Saturday night I had a bottle of 1999Chateau Montelena Estate Cabernet, and Sunday afternoon/evening I had a botle of 2000 Rudd Estate Oakville followed by a 2000 Artesa Cabernet. The Artesa should retail around $40-$45 a bottle, but I bought several cases a few weeks back at $20 a bottle, which was an absolute STEAL!

Edward Appleby

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I like whatever I can get for under 10 quid at Sainsburys. Usually that ends up being Rhone reds and New Zealand or Chilean sauvignon blanc.

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
White zin is my favorite.

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Piobaire

This cannot possibly be true.

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Manton
This cannot possibly be true.
I changed my mind. Yes, white zin is my favorite.

bachbeet

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
About the only types of wines I don't like are the sweeter ones. Many of the German wines are sweet and I'm not crazy about those. Barolo is one you might try. I took a class from a sommelier who went to Paris to learn his trade and discovered some good wines. But, I still wasn't crazy about the German wines. I did like some of the dessert wines he offered as samples, but I would only recommend them in small amounts. Don't drink nearly as much as I did 10 years ago though. Some would see me as a teetotaler now.

VKK3450

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Edward Appleby
I like whatever I can get for under 10 quid at Sainsburys. Usually that ends up being Rhone reds and New Zealand or Chilean sauvignon blanc.

Sainsburys does deals quite frequently. If you run across any Pillar Box Red, either there or at the Threshers / Wine Rack / Etc... Pick some up. I get it for about 7 a pop and its well worth it

K

Lucky7

Reaction score
Originally Posted by bachbeet
About the only types of wines I don't like are the sweeter ones. Many of the German wines are sweet and I'm not crazy about those. Barolo is one you might try. I took a class from a sommelier who went to Paris to learn his trade and discovered some good wines. But, I still wasn't crazy about the German wines. I did like some of the dessert wines he offered as samples, but I would only recommend them in small amounts. Don't drink nearly as much as I did 10 years ago though. Some would see me as a teetotaler now.

I'm a fan of Barolo. Many people do not like paying high $ amounts for Italian wines such as Barolo or Amarone, however I have some 1997 Barolo and Amarone in the cellar.

Milhouse

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Piobaire

White zin + club soda = perfection!

I'm a fan of just about any good dry red, especially those with some spiciness. I like French, US, Australian, and South American reds. I'm not sure I can name a favorite varietal because they are all so delicious. Maybe I should open a bottle tonight.

Edward Appleby

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by VKK3450
Sainsburys does deals quite frequently.

Don't I know it brosef. I'm all about 15 pound bottles on half off. I'll keep my eyes out for the Pillar Box.

VKK3450

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Edward Appleby
Don't I know it brosef. I'm all about 15 pound bottles on half off. I'll keep my eyes out for the Pillar Box.

Have you checked out Majestic (have to buy 12 mixed bottles at a time, but they frequently run 50% off if you are buying more than 2 of the same thing + free delivery if you dont have a car) and Wine Rack (buy 2 get 3rd free = standard 1/3 off)

K

VKK3450

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
When I was living in the US I noticed that people have a real aversion to rose or blush wines. Seemed that most of those were sickly sweet Gallo white zin, but does this still exist and does it extend to the rest of the "pink color"?

I've found myself really enjoying a cold bottle of rose hanging out with friends on a hot summer day. (and no, I am not ****)

K

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads