• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Favorite Red Wine

BostonRussell

Reaction score
Originally Posted by VKK3450
When I was living in the US I noticed that people have a real aversion to rose or blush wines. Seemed that most of those were sickly sweet Gallo white zin, but does this still exist and does it extend to the rest of the "pink color"?

I've found myself really enjoying a cold bottle of rose hanging out with friends on a hot summer day. (and no, I am not ****)

K

Yes. While I don't consider myself educated to make strong judgements about rose wine (still exploring red) I can say the perception falls under two categories:

1. That's it's effeminine.

2. That it's probably some sort of cheap flavor infused wine, some Arbor Mist esque ordeal.

I think that since rose wine has failed to take root in the states many people don't realize that it's a respected wine some places (which I assume it is). When most Americans think rose wine they think of college girls with Arbos Mist sparkling strawberry white zin.

I'd have a hard time feeling masculine with a pink wine myself, but if needbe I would just be snarky about it. Point out that a Manhattan takes on a pinkish hue as well sometimes. 99% of the time anyone insecure enough to look down on your drink choice is drinking a Vodkatonic anyway. Whiskey has become a strange measure of manhood in the states.

visionology

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm not a huge wine drinker, but with reds I like Malbecs. I can't think of a favorite, I don't keep a journal after trying them all, perhaps I should?

Lucky7

Reaction score
Originally Posted by BostonRussell
When most Americans think rose wine they think of college girls with Arbos Mist sparkling strawberry white zin.

THERE IS NOTHING WRONG WITH COLLEGE GIRLS WITH ARBOR MIST!!!!

Johnny_5

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Been trying to further my wine education/acquire a taste as of recent. I have been really fond of Joseph Phelps and Jordan Cabs. Mostly all Californias. Something about them that I prefer over Italians (seems like more character and not as dry?), which sucks since I have insane access to italian wine. I also loved David Bruce Pinot Noir. Unfortunately, these are too expensive for a daily drinker. Can anyone recommend something more affordable?

How are the wines coming from Chile? I have been a fan of Santa Ema Merlot and Caberne for daily drinkerst.

John

binge

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by audiophilia
Some excellent red wines over the last two months:

Freemark Abbey 2002 Merlot (Napa)
Franciscan 2003 Merlot (Napa)
Grgich Hills 2002 Merlot (Napa)
Tawse Winery 2005 Pinot Noir (Niagara)

Any specific comments on the Grgich? They, along with Cakebread are labels I find consistently good across varietals and years.

mockingboy

Reaction score
Originally Posted by binge
Any specific comments on the Grgich? They, along with Cakebread are labels I find consistently good across varietals and years.

Cakebread is a huge wine every year and has risen in price based on reputation. It is overpriced in my opinion and you can get much better wines for half the price. Do you like Big wines or more earthy/lower alcohol?

Lucky7

Reaction score
Originally Posted by mockingboy
Cakebread is a huge wine every year and has risen in price based on reputation. It is overpriced in my opinion and you can get much better wines for half the price. Do you like Big wines or more earthy/lower alcohol?

I have to agree with Cakebread being overpriced. I like Big Wines...and I think for the money Grgish is great! I also like Heitz (Pricey), but the best deal I came across was a 2000 Artesa Cabernet for under $25..they normally sell in the $40's.

mockingboy

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Lucky7
I have to agree with Cakebread being overpriced. I like Big Wines...and I think for the money Grgish is great! I also like Heitz (Pricey), but the best deal I came across was a 2000 Artesa Cabernet for under $25..they normally sell in the $40's.

Heitz is one of the best and oldest of the California Cab's, especially for the price. A lot of the Cali Cabs are just too big now, but Heitz is still money...Everyone loves plumpjack, cakebread, silver oak, etc. but I actually think Pinots (i.e. from Sonoma) offer great value and would be happy to send you some recs.

lbcgav

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Lucky7
I'm a fan of Barolo. Many people do not like paying high $ amounts for Italian wines such as Barolo or Amarone, however I have some 1997 Barolo and Amarone in the cellar.
Have you ever had a Ripasso? It's a Valpolicella which is fermented with the sediment left over after making an Amarone. This imparts some of the Amarone flavor to the wine, but costs a fraction of an Amarone. 1997's huh? You lucky bastard. I'll take a good Italian wine over a Cali any day.

audiophilia

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

A fine Merlot. About $50.00 up here. Great balance and flavour. Better than the fine Freemark and Franciscan and much better than the expensive Atalon.

I'm a red wine ingenue. Sorry a reviewer cannot describe it to you better than that, other than we really enjoyed it with some fantastic artisan cheeses.

binge

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by mockingboy

My comment about Cakebread and Grgich was more of a general statement as to their quality across varietals and years. I can't say I've had reds from either in quite a while, some whites this past summer and fall, but not reds recently, which was why I wanted to know what audiophilia thought.

As for reds, I usually go for pinots, or occasionally a cab when I cook a steak.

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
As for reds, I usually go for pinots, or occasionally a cab when I cook a steak.

+1 for Pinot Noir. Outside of white zin, easily my favorite wine.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads