• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

favorite pizza

hopkins_student

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Sausage, ground beef, and bacon at Puccinni's Smiling Teeth in Lexington, KY.

ratboycom

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Pesto, Kalamata Olives, Artichoke Hearts, Chicken, Feta, Fontina, and garlic.

"TerriNeggi" thin crust was freakin good too.

aspriel

Reaction score
Edwardo's Natural Pizza - CHICAGO, IL - the only city where good pizza is served.

tiger02

Militarist
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Huntsman
Heh, thanks. It is. (note the modesty). It, unfortunately, does not have the benefit of arriving at the door upon request.
At times I've made huge batches of dough and frozen the extra. Cuts prep time down to almost nothing, and is usually far and away better than anything local. (I'm not good enough to call it my favorite, mostly because I've spent more time in Naples than the average). For some odd reason though the bar next door has great Roman-style pizza for just a couple of euros. I've been hitting it far too often while waiting for my pots and pans to get delivered.

johnapril

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Manton
I used to think it was a deep dish Chicago style, specifically that made by Zachary's in North Oakland (Rockridge). Then I moved east, and learned to love the thin crust. First, Patsy's. Very good. Then Lombardi's on Spring. Quite a bit better. Then (finally) Grimaldi's under the east tower of the Brooklyn Bridge. Best of all. John's is good too, but only the one in the Village. The one in Times Sqaure is just OK.

Zachary's is a shithole, Manton, for yuppies. You there is like you wearing Prada. My god, man, you've been through hell.

wEstSidE

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by tiger02
Hit Conte's up Witherspoon St; it's the closest that you're going to find. They also make wine in their bathtub that's terrible, but great at the same time. Tre Colore is good for an everyday slice but Old World's buffalo mozzarella is outstanding. 5 years ago is was $16 or $20 for a pie, can't imagine now.

My favorite pizza chef is Peppino, who last I saw him was working at a little place just outside Centrale. He wasn't there on my last trip to Napoli; I'm worried that I've lost him.

Tom

oh yeah--if you have a car, go to De Lorenzo's in Trenton. Peer Ee Ud. There are two of them. IIRC, "Tomato Pies" not "Pizza." On Hudson, not Hamilton. BYOB.

Thanks for the advice. I've heard of De Lorenzo's and their interesting "tomato pies" but have not been there yet. Does Old World really charge that much? I guess I'll give it a shot after spring break. Conte's sounds good, but it's past PMC. Don't know if I want to walk down there.

Manny Calavera

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Ambulance Chaser
You can't beat a good thin-crust Margherita. The New Yorkers will scoff, but DC does have some good sources for pizza. Pizza Paradiso (Dupont Circle location) is my favorite. A lot of people prefer Two Amys, but I've never been. Matchbox is awfully good as well.
Agreed. Both are the closest to Neapolitan you'll get outside of Una Pizza Napoletana in the East Village. The bianca there is the greatest pizza I've ever eaten, and I know my pizza.
inlove.gif
No seriously, that's not a subjective statement. It's actually the greatest pizza in the country, albeit extremely expensive and often closed. They're open two days a week from 5 to whenever they run out of ingredients. Everything is of the highest quality, imported from Italy. The owner/chef is a little mean, but overall, it's the greatest pizza place in the country.

globetrotter

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
back before the italian economy picked up, there were a lot of italians who were in germany, running pizzarias. a staple was "pizza diavlo" - italian style thin crust pizza, cooked in a brick oven, maybe 30 cm in diameter, with fresh tomato souce, light amounts of buffalo mozzorella, salami and a chilli enfused oil.

it was pretty much a german dish - you could get a pizza diavlo in italy, but it wasn't the same. and now that the economy is better in italy and the italians have gone home, you can't get them any more at the same quality.

visionology

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Pepe's in New Haven is good but I'd say most people that live here would say that either Sally's or Modern is the best in New Haven. BAR also makes some good and strange pizzas, their mashed potato and bacon is different... Good atmosphere too with a dance club in the back.

Midstate I'd say that Little Rendezvous in Meriden is awesome. It's a good solid brick oven pizza in a hole in the wall place that has been here forever. It just doesn't get the notoriety being away from a major city.

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
Originally Posted by johnapril
Zachary's is a shithole, Manton, for yuppies. You there is like you wearing Prada. My god, man, you've been through hell.

What the?!? Where are the Berkeley guys when I need them? Sauce? Lawyerdad? Can you help me out here?

Anyway, I have not been there in an long time, and when I did go I was assuredly not a yuppie. I don't know what it's like these days.

johnapril

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What the?!? Where are the Berkeley guys when I need them? Sauce? Lawyerdad? Can you help me out here?

Anyway, I have not been there in an long time, and when I did go I was assuredly not a yuppie. I don't know what it's like these days.

Just kidding you, man! But, anymore, is a yuppie hole.

whodini

Conan OOOOOOO"BRIEN!
Reaction score

I was about to say, "Zach's turning yuppie? News to me..." Sure, Cal kids take the parents to the one in Oakland vs. Berkeley, but that's hardly yuppie.

johnapril

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by whodini
I was about to say, "Zach's turning yuppie? News to me..." Sure, Cal kids take the parents to the one in Oakland vs. Berkeley, but that's hardly yuppie.

I thought Cal was getting more yuppie. There was a Gap on telegraph the last time I was in town.

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
There's been a Gap on Telegraph since the '80s at least. But back then, there was no Berkeley Zach's; only Rockridge. I don't know when the Berkeley one opened.

chorse123

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
First, Patsy's. Very good. Then Lombardi's on Spring. Quite a bit better. Then (finally) Grimaldi's under the east tower of the Brooklyn Bridge. Best of all.

I used to live around the corner from Lombardi's (before they expanded) so it has some sentimental value. The pizza is still pretty good.

Patsy's is edible, but I think it's pretty mediocre.

Grimaldi's is excellent. The lines are a pain, but it's worth it.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Staff online

Forum statistics