1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

favorite pizza

Discussion in 'Social Life, Food & Drink, Travel' started by matadorpoeta, Mar 14, 2007.

1. Get Smart

Get Smart Senior member

That reminds me, if I don't like the TaT suit I get can I send you the bill?

touche....................................bitch.

2. whodini

whodini Senior member

All that tailorin' makin' you a bit cranky in your old age, eh? BTW, I got my hands on a burned copy of "This is England" if you want one. Who's the bitch now?

I forgot my other favorite pizza was found in Vienna at one of the many pizza/falafel stands around the city (and most of Germany/Austria for that matter). Thin with ham and corn. Odd but cheap and delicious.

3. Get Smart

Get Smart Senior member

All that tailorin' makin' you a bit cranky in your old age, eh? BTW, I got my hands on a burned copy of "This is England" if you want one. Who's the bitch now?

HOLY CRAP??!!! are you serious??????? ok, what perversity do I need to go thru to get a copy of that?

4. Huntsman

Huntsman Senior member

Nice.
    Heh, thanks. It is. (note the modesty). It, unfortunately, does not have the benefit of arriving at the door upon request.

5. nioh

nioh Senior member

Thin crust pizza at Pizza Meine Liebe, topped with buffalo mozzerella, sliced tomato, whole fresh basil leaves and slices of smoky cured speck.

Pretty much the same sans the cured speck at Il Forno in Stockholm. Baked in an old wood heated oven. For pizzas as with most things in life... less is more.

6. hopkins_student

hopkins_student Senior member

Sausage, ground beef, and bacon at Puccinni's Smiling Teeth in Lexington, KY.

7. ratboycom

ratboycom Senior member

Pesto, Kalamata Olives, Artichoke Hearts, Chicken, Feta, Fontina, and garlic.

"TerriNeggi" thin crust was freakin good too.

8. aspriel

aspriel Senior member

Edwardo's Natural Pizza - CHICAGO, IL - the only city where good pizza is served.

9. tiger02

tiger02 Senior member

Heh, thanks. It is. (note the modesty). It, unfortunately, does not have the benefit of arriving at the door upon request.
    At times I've made huge batches of dough and frozen the extra. Cuts prep time down to almost nothing, and is usually far and away better than anything local. (I'm not good enough to call it my favorite, mostly because I've spent more time in Naples than the average). For some odd reason though the bar next door has great Roman-style pizza for just a couple of euros. I've been hitting it far too often while waiting for my pots and pans to get delivered.

10. johnapril

johnapril Senior member

I used to think it was a deep dish Chicago style, specifically that made by Zachary's in North Oakland (Rockridge). Then I moved east, and learned to love the thin crust. First, Patsy's. Very good. Then Lombardi's on Spring. Quite a bit better. Then (finally) Grimaldi's under the east tower of the Brooklyn Bridge. Best of all. John's is good too, but only the one in the Village. The one in Times Sqaure is just OK.

Zachary's is a shithole, Manton, for yuppies. You there is like you wearing Prada. My god, man, you've been through hell.

11. wEstSidE

wEstSidE Senior member

Hit Conte's up Witherspoon St; it's the closest that you're going to find. They also make wine in their bathtub that's terrible, but great at the same time. Tre Colore is good for an everyday slice but Old World's buffalo mozzarella is outstanding. 5 years ago is was $16 or $20 for a pie, can't imagine now.

My favorite pizza chef is Peppino, who last I saw him was working at a little place just outside Centrale. He wasn't there on my last trip to Napoli; I'm worried that I've lost him.

Tom

oh yeah--if you have a car, go to De Lorenzo's in Trenton. Peer Ee Ud. There are two of them. IIRC, "Tomato Pies" not "Pizza." On Hudson, not Hamilton. BYOB.

Thanks for the advice. I've heard of De Lorenzo's and their interesting "tomato pies" but have not been there yet. Does Old World really charge that much? I guess I'll give it a shot after spring break. Conte's sounds good, but it's past PMC. Don't know if I want to walk down there.

12. Manny Calavera

Manny Calavera Senior member

You can't beat a good thin-crust Margherita. The New Yorkers will scoff, but DC does have some good sources for pizza. Pizza Paradiso (Dupont Circle location) is my favorite. A lot of people prefer Two Amys, but I've never been. Matchbox is awfully good as well.
    Agreed. Both are the closest to Neapolitan you'll get outside of Una Pizza Napoletana in the East Village. The bianca there is the greatest pizza I've ever eaten, and I know my pizza. [​IMG] No seriously, that's not a subjective statement. It's actually the greatest pizza in the country, albeit extremely expensive and often closed. They're open two days a week from 5 to whenever they run out of ingredients. Everything is of the highest quality, imported from Italy. The owner/chef is a little mean, but overall, it's the greatest pizza place in the country.

13. globetrotter

globetrotter Senior member

back before the italian economy picked up, there were a lot of italians who were in germany, running pizzarias. a staple was "pizza diavlo" - italian style thin crust pizza, cooked in a brick oven, maybe 30 cm in diameter, with fresh tomato souce, light amounts of buffalo mozzorella, salami and a chilli enfused oil.

it was pretty much a german dish - you could get a pizza diavlo in italy, but it wasn't the same. and now that the economy is better in italy and the italians have gone home, you can't get them any more at the same quality.

14. visionology

visionology Senior member

Pepe's in New Haven is good but I'd say most people that live here would say that either Sally's or Modern is the best in New Haven. BAR also makes some good and strange pizzas, their mashed potato and bacon is different... Good atmosphere too with a dance club in the back.

Midstate I'd say that Little Rendezvous in Meriden is awesome. It's a good solid brick oven pizza in a hole in the wall place that has been here forever. It just doesn't get the notoriety being away from a major city.

15. Manton

Manton Senior member Dubiously Honored

Zachary's is a shithole, Manton, for yuppies. You there is like you wearing Prada. My god, man, you've been through hell.

What the?!? Where are the Berkeley guys when I need them? Sauce? Lawyerdad? Can you help me out here?

Anyway, I have not been there in an long time, and when I did go I was assuredly not a yuppie. I don't know what it's like these days.

16. johnapril

johnapril Senior member

What the?!? Where are the Berkeley guys when I need them? Sauce? Lawyerdad? Can you help me out here?

Anyway, I have not been there in an long time, and when I did go I was assuredly not a yuppie. I don't know what it's like these days.

Just kidding you, man! But, anymore, is a yuppie hole.

17. whodini

whodini Senior member

I was about to say, "Zach's turning yuppie? News to me..." Sure, Cal kids take the parents to the one in Oakland vs. Berkeley, but that's hardly yuppie.

18. johnapril

johnapril Senior member

I was about to say, "Zach's turning yuppie? News to me..." Sure, Cal kids take the parents to the one in Oakland vs. Berkeley, but that's hardly yuppie.

I thought Cal was getting more yuppie. There was a Gap on telegraph the last time I was in town.

19. Manton

Manton Senior member Dubiously Honored

There's been a Gap on Telegraph since the '80s at least. But back then, there was no Berkeley Zach's; only Rockridge. I don't know when the Berkeley one opened.

20. chorse123

chorse123 Senior member

First, Patsy's. Very good. Then Lombardi's on Spring. Quite a bit better. Then (finally) Grimaldi's under the east tower of the Brooklyn Bridge. Best of all.

I used to live around the corner from Lombardi's (before they expanded) so it has some sentimental value. The pizza is still pretty good.

Patsy's is edible, but I think it's pretty mediocre.

Grimaldi's is excellent. The lines are a pain, but it's worth it.