favorite pizza

Discussion in 'Social Life, Food & Drink, Travel' started by matadorpoeta, Mar 14, 2007.

1. whodini

whodini Conan OOOOOOO"BRIEN!

thin crust, light sauce and light cheese

toppings: pepperoni, mushroom, black olive, spicy italian salami

Albano's in LA has my fave pizza ever

CPK's "sicilian" pizza is surprisingly good for a 'chain' and is my #2 pick of best in LA

I worked a block from Albano's for over a year and while I didn't hate it, there's no way I'd call it good NY pizza. That said, GS, PLEASE take the missus to Nicky D's in Silver Lake (http://www.nickydspizza.com/). It will change your religion, bed sheets, etc. I recommend their pepperoni,basil & tomato pizza to keep things simple. Thank me later.

2. DocHolliday

DocHolliday Senior member Dubiously Honored

I like chicken and pesto. Of the traditional toppings, sausage.

Not a big pizza fan, and have little experience with the good stuff. I'm sure I'm missing out.

3. Jovan

Jovan Banned for Good

Best pizza I ever had was California style with fontina, mozzarella and a few other different than usual cheeses, topped with diced tomatoes and pepperoni. Leonardo's 706 is a place I'd eat every week if I could.

4. Get Smart

Get Smart Don't Crink

That said, GS, PLEASE take the missus to Nicky D's in Silver Lake (http://www.nickydspizza.com/). It will change your religion, bed sheets, etc. I recommend their pepperoni,basil & tomato pizza to keep things simple.

Thank me later.

ima do that. If it sucks I'm gonna send you the bill too.

5. Jovan

Jovan Banned for Good

Screw this. This thread is making me want pizza and I have no cash.

6. Get Smart

Get Smart Don't Crink

yo Who-weenie...I'm sure you've been to Mama Petrillos.....have an opinion of their pizza? It's my fave local joint...dig their crust, it's got that nice chewy/crusty type of texture. Only neg is their mushrooms, they use canned not fresh

Gonna try to hit up Nicky Ds this weekend

7. Jovan

Jovan Banned for Good

Fresh mushrooms > canned. If the pizza's made right, they shouldn't dry up.

8. spertia

spertia Senior member

Anyone here from SF ever go to Pauline's Pizza? Best gourmet pizza in the country in my opinion.

9. whodini

ima do that. If it sucks I'm gonna send you the bill too.

What you take me for, a bleedin' c&%# ?

yo Who-weenie...I'm sure you've been to Mama Petrillos.....have an opinion of their pizza? It's my fave local joint...dig their crust, it's got that nice chewy/crusty type of texture. Only neg is their mushrooms, they use canned not fresh

Gonna try to hit up Nicky Ds this weekend

I think that's the place over by Tokyo Lobby. If so, I've only driven past it as it never looked like anything other than a run-of-the-mill joint. Oh yeah, and I passed it on the way to Shakey's. [​IMG]

There used to be a pizza place across the street from Carl's Jr. on Las Tunas until it turned into a Mex joint, then back to pizza, then...who knows what now. That place had the best "gourmet" pizza in the valley while it existed.

Parking around Nicky D's can be dodgy along Rowena but there's usually plenty of spots up the hill from the restaurant/bakery on the corner of Glendale.

10. Get Smart

Get Smart Don't Crink

There used to be a pizza place across the street from Carl's Jr. on Las Tunas until it turned into a Mex joint, then back to pizza, then...who knows what now. That place had the best "gourmet" pizza in the valley while it existed.

actually that pizza place still exists, they just moved over to Mission St right across from the SGMission. It's a much bigger, nicer spot, holds a lot more people which is good because that old location was always packed since it only had like seating for 30. they have some of the best free starter bread I've had, those garlic-y rolls things.

11. whodini

Ha...no way. It sounds like it's next door to my friend's catering company. Now I've got an excuse to go back.

12. Britalian

Britalian Senior member

Before hitting a pizzeria I always tell myself I'll have a change. I always end up having a Siciliana.

13. gamelan

gamelan Senior member

probably pizza heresy considering it's a chain restaurant but Buca Di Beppo's thin crust sausage and mushroom is my favorite.

-Jeff

14. romafan

romafan Senior member

I've come to the realization that w/ pizza, like many other things, less is more. Basic margherita, maybe some mushrooms (no canned!) - here in NYC there are a good # of choices depending where you are: Manhattan - Lombardis, Johns, La Pizza Fresca, Ottimo, Arturos, Patsys, Lil' Frankies, Sullivan St. Bakery, Pala, Una Pizza Naploetana, etc.; Brooklyn - Grimaldis, Totonnos, DiFaras; Queens - Nicks

Have not been, but Una Pizza Napoletana is supposed to awesome (this is a good website, too):

http://www.sliceny.com/archives/2004...izza_napol.php

*edited - DeMarcos is in Manhattan & run by Dom's (DiFaras) daughter(?) - site of beginning of tragic shooting last night that saw two auxiliary PO's killed

15. lawyerdad

lawyerdad Senior member

I worked a block from Albano's for over a year and while I didn't hate it, there's no way I'd call it good NY pizza.

That said, GS, PLEASE take the missus to Nicky D's in Silver Lake (http://www.nickydspizza.com/). It will change your religion, bed sheets, etc. I recommend their pepperoni,basil & tomato pizza to keep things simple.

Thank me later.

whodini, whereabouts in silverlake is it? (link doesn't seem to be working)
    nm, been reading my way back up the thread