1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

favorite pizza

Discussion in 'Social Life, Food & Drink, Travel' started by matadorpoeta, Mar 14, 2007.

1. Get Smart

Get Smart Senior member

yo Who-weenie...I'm sure you've been to Mama Petrillos.....have an opinion of their pizza? It's my fave local joint...dig their crust, it's got that nice chewy/crusty type of texture. Only neg is their mushrooms, they use canned not fresh

Gonna try to hit up Nicky Ds this weekend

2. Jovan

Jovan Senior member

Fresh mushrooms > canned. If the pizza's made right, they shouldn't dry up.

3. spertia

spertia Senior member

Anyone here from SF ever go to Pauline's Pizza? Best gourmet pizza in the country in my opinion.

4. whodini

whodini Senior member

ima do that. If it sucks I'm gonna send you the bill too.

What you take me for, a bleedin' c&%# ?

yo Who-weenie...I'm sure you've been to Mama Petrillos.....have an opinion of their pizza? It's my fave local joint...dig their crust, it's got that nice chewy/crusty type of texture. Only neg is their mushrooms, they use canned not fresh

Gonna try to hit up Nicky Ds this weekend

I think that's the place over by Tokyo Lobby. If so, I've only driven past it as it never looked like anything other than a run-of-the-mill joint. Oh yeah, and I passed it on the way to Shakey's. [​IMG]

There used to be a pizza place across the street from Carl's Jr. on Las Tunas until it turned into a Mex joint, then back to pizza, then...who knows what now. That place had the best "gourmet" pizza in the valley while it existed.

Parking around Nicky D's can be dodgy along Rowena but there's usually plenty of spots up the hill from the restaurant/bakery on the corner of Glendale.

5. Get Smart

Get Smart Senior member

There used to be a pizza place across the street from Carl's Jr. on Las Tunas until it turned into a Mex joint, then back to pizza, then...who knows what now. That place had the best "gourmet" pizza in the valley while it existed.

actually that pizza place still exists, they just moved over to Mission St right across from the SGMission. It's a much bigger, nicer spot, holds a lot more people which is good because that old location was always packed since it only had like seating for 30. they have some of the best free starter bread I've had, those garlic-y rolls things.

6. whodini

whodini Senior member

Ha...no way. It sounds like it's next door to my friend's catering company. Now I've got an excuse to go back.

7. Britalian

Britalian Senior member

Before hitting a pizzeria I always tell myself I'll have a change. I always end up having a Siciliana.

8. gamelan

gamelan Senior member

probably pizza heresy considering it's a chain restaurant but Buca Di Beppo's thin crust sausage and mushroom is my favorite.

-Jeff

9. romafan

romafan Senior member

I've come to the realization that w/ pizza, like many other things, less is more. Basic margherita, maybe some mushrooms (no canned!) - here in NYC there are a good # of choices depending where you are: Manhattan - Lombardis, Johns, La Pizza Fresca, Ottimo, Arturos, Patsys, Lil' Frankies, Sullivan St. Bakery, Pala, Una Pizza Naploetana, etc.; Brooklyn - Grimaldis, Totonnos, DiFaras; Queens - Nicks

Have not been, but Una Pizza Napoletana is supposed to awesome (this is a good website, too):

http://www.sliceny.com/archives/2004...izza_napol.php

*edited - DeMarcos is in Manhattan & run by Dom's (DiFaras) daughter(?) - site of beginning of tragic shooting last night that saw two auxiliary PO's killed

10. lawyerdad

lawyerdad Senior member

I worked a block from Albano's for over a year and while I didn't hate it, there's no way I'd call it good NY pizza.

That said, GS, PLEASE take the missus to Nicky D's in Silver Lake (http://www.nickydspizza.com/). It will change your religion, bed sheets, etc. I recommend their pepperoni,basil & tomato pizza to keep things simple.

Thank me later.

whodini, whereabouts in silverlake is it? (link doesn't seem to be working)
    nm, been reading my way back up the thread

11. Earthmover

Earthmover Senior member

Clam/bacon pizza at Pepe's in New Haven. Nothing else comes close.

12. Get Smart

Get Smart Senior member

Ha...no way. It sounds like it's next door to my friend's catering company. Now I've got an excuse to go back.

that wouldnt be Pulciano's deli would it?

used to at lunch there on weekends quite a bit

13. Get Smart

Get Smart Senior member

whodini, whereabouts in silverlake is it? (link doesn't seem to be working)
    nm, been reading my way back up the thread

www.nickydspizza.com

14. lance konami

lance konami Senior member

Oh, you guys are talking about great pizza places? Well, you're all wrong. Accept that.

The BEST pizza on God's green earth is a place called Brooklyn Pizza Works in placentia, orange county, CA, on Imperial Highway. This shit is no joke, I've been eating there on a regular basis for over 10 years because it's the most addictive pizza I've ever had. In fact, most of the customers there are strictly regulars, some of them have been eating there weekly for the past 20 years. Total die hards.

But seriously, this shit's delicious. 100% new york style, their cooks are like perfectionists. It bothers them if a pepperoni is out of place. Try the Mild Maggie and the East Coast Greasy. Order them THIN AND CRISPY. Very important.

100% awesomeness. Do it. Really friendly service too. Also try the zappolis for desert.

15. Huntsman

Huntsman Senior member

16. Get Smart

Get Smart Senior member

Oh, you guys are talking about great pizza places? Well, you're all wrong. Accept that.

The BEST pizza on God's green earth is a place called Brooklyn Pizza Works in placentia, orange county, CA, on Imperial Highway. This shit is no joke, I've been eating there on a regular basis for over 10 years because it's the most addictive pizza I've ever had. In fact, most of the customers there are strictly regulars, some of them have been eating there weekly for the past 20 years. Total die hards.

But seriously, this shit's delicious. 100% new york style, their cooks are like perfectionists. It bothers them if a pepperoni is out of place. Try the Mild Maggie and the East Coast Greasy. Order them THIN AND CRISPY. Very important.

100% awesomeness. Do it. Really friendly service too. Also try the zappolis for desert.

my folks live 5 min from there. I am gonna test this out and will be sending you the bill, along with Whodini's NickyD bill if it just "aint all that"

17. tiger02

tiger02 Senior member

Mine.
    Nice.

18. whodini

whodini Senior member

Link should have been http://www.nickydspizza.com/ . You can google directions, but it's across the street from the fire dept. on Rowena & Glendale in Silverlake.

I personally like it for being informal and cozy, making it great for a date while feeling like you're at the LA's best-kept secret. It's family friendly so bring the kids. Prices are a little higher than standard fare, but this stuff's woodfired and the ingredients are fresh. Again, my go-to pizza is the rec I gave GS. Can't miss.

19. whodini

whodini Senior member

my folks live 5 min from there. I am gonna test this out and will be sending you the bill, along with Whodini's NickyD bill if it just "aint all that"
    That reminds me, if I don't like the TaT suit I get can I send you the bill?
    that wouldnt be Pulciano's deli would it? used to at lunch there on weekends quite a bit
    Nope. This place doesn't have an actual restaurant, just banquet space and a kitchen for their events.

20. lawyerdad

lawyerdad Senior member

Link should have been http://www.nickydspizza.com/ . You can google directions, but it's across the street from the fire dept. on Rowena & Glendale in Silverlake.

I personally like it for being informal and cozy, making it great for a date while feeling like you're at the LA's best-kept secret. It's family friendly so bring the kids. Prices are a little higher than standard fare, but this stuff's woodfired and the ingredients are fresh. Again, my go-to pizza is the rec I gave GS. Can't miss.

[​IMG]