• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Favorite Musicals...

michaeljkrell

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I know there are some guys out there that
inlove.gif
musicals. You don't know what you are missing Whodini...

1. Seven Brides for Seven Brothers
2. Singing in the Rain
3. Westside Story

whodini

Conan OOOOOOO"BRIEN!
Reaction score
My ex-girlfriend forced me to watch "Seven Brides" once. Noticed I said..."ex." I'm not huge on film musicals, save for the token "Sound Of Music" since it's incredibly catchy and was filmed in one of my favorite cities, Salzburg. I will say, however, that while one of my all-time favorite films is a musical, "Moulin Rouge", I know most traditionalists have their complaints. One of my film professors at SC was a noted expert on musicals and even did commentary on a few DVDs ("The Dolly Sisters" is all I remember off the top of my head). I have never seen anyone have such disdain for a film that they would literally refuse to discuss it, let alone mention its title. I simply haven't seen a film where the music (lyrics included) did so much to compliment such exquisite imagery and direction.

michaeljkrell

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I actually just watched Moulin Rouge with my gf yesterday. I did like it, but it was a shock to my system. I wasn't expecting there to be modern songs in movie. I could see why a musical buff would have disdain for that movie...

I really liked Dreamgirls too...

Quirk

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by whodini
My ex-girlfriend forced me to watch "Seven Brides" once. Noticed I said..."ex." I'm not huge on film musicals, save for the token "Sound Of Music" since it's incredibly catchy and was filmed in one of my favorite cities, Salzburg. I will say, however, that while one of my all-time favorite films is a musical, "Moulin Rouge", I know most traditionalists have their complaints. One of my film professors at SC was a noted expert on musicals and even did commentary on a few DVDs ("The Dolly Sisters" is all I remember off the top of my head). I have never seen anyone have such disdain for a film that they would literally refuse to discuss it, let alone mention its title. I simply haven't seen a film where the music (lyrics included) did so much to compliment such exquisite imagery and direction.
There's a lot I find annoying about 'Seven Brides', but the dancing is worth it all. 'Moulin Rouge', on the other hand, is complete garbage IMO -- I don't know how anyone could even sit through 5 minutes of that mess -- and I love Nicole Kidman! Good Stuff: Oklahoma - terrific R&H music, and Gordon MacRae is great in the lead The King And I - because Yul rules Singin' In The Rain - Donald O'Connor's 'Make 'Em Laugh' routine is brilliant West Side Story - for dancing, Leonard Bernstein and Stephen Sondheim Candide, Concert Version - Kristin Chenoweth is amazingly talented Ok, I have to go eat some nails now...

Stax

Reaction score
Headwig and the Angry Inch

Connemara

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
"Cabaret" is always fun. My favorites, though, are "Fiddler on the Roof", "Les Miserables", and "Little Women", only because the legendary Maureen McGovern is in it. She single-handedly carried that musical.

itsstillmatt

The Liberator
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Is this the gayest thread in the history of Styleforum?

Tokyo Slim

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Happiness of the Katakuris. They open a guest house on an out of the way mountain. Guests rarely come, and when they do, they usually end up dead in the morning from one circumstance or another. This really puts a damper on the father's attempts to repair his dysfunctional family. Happiness of the Katakuris Trailer The greatest intro to any modern movie. EVER. The Katakuri's discover the first body, a suicide! Time to sing and dance! Song/Dance sequence between the "slutty" sister and a con man pretending to be a british/US naval pilot

skalogre

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Tokyo Slim

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Haha beat you to it old chap.

That being said, The Sound Of Music is watchable, if only because I LOVE nazi's as the foil in a movie. It makes every movie 10x better if the Nazi's are the bad guys in it. Even if the movie otherwise stinks.

And Mary Poppins was pretty good too. Julie Andrews was just hot.

Plus I used to pretend (when I was like six) that I was a Dick Van Dyke type chimney sweep.

Spoke in an 'orrible accent, covered me'self in soot an the 'ole lot. It ruled.

Quirk

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Connemara
"Cabaret" is always fun. My favorites, though, are "Fiddler on the Roof", "Les Miserables", and "Little Women", only because the legendary Maureen McGovern is in it. She single-handedly carried that musical.
+1 on Fiddler

lawyerdad

Lying Dog-faced Pony Soldier
Reaction score
Tokyo Slim said:
And Mary Poppins was pretty good too. Julie Andrews was just hot.

QUOTE]
+1
Maybe we should start a hot faux vintage women thread?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 81 36.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 83 37.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.4%

Forum statistics

Threads