1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Favorite musical decade

Discussion in 'Entertainment, Culture, and Sports' started by MetroStyles, Nov 22, 2008.

1. MetroStyles

MetroStyles Senior member

Based on what I listen to the most, 90's and 2000's. Weird how the 00's has the least votes, but I bet the majority of people's itunes libraries from this site are comprised of music made in 2000 or later. It's almost as if the person who made this thread doesn't understand his own poll. The 2000's have hahahaha after the number, which implies the poll is asking which decade produced the best quality music. The poll asks what is listened to the most, which, if you're 30 or younger, is probably music made in the last 9 years.
    New music carries the power of novelty to the ear. Old music that you still listen has more credibility. In that sense, I don't think what decade's music you listen to most reflects your favorite decade of music. I voted for the 80s because I love cheesy pop & synth. 80s pop was something I could get behind, whereas 00s pop is mass-produced faux-hip-hop beat crap to me (with intermittent exceptions, of course). I listen to it more because I live in this decade, but that doesn't mean it's my favorite. Like I said, novelty has its own value when it comes to music, but it shouldn't be misconstrued as something its not. Edit: I don't use iTunes.

2. dave

dave Senior member

Maybe heretical to some, The Who is one of the most overrated bands imo.

Ouch.

no doubt about the rest of what you said but ouch.

I could likely live the rest of my life out with only the recordings from Stax and Studio one.

3. why

why Senior member

I agree.

4. MetroStyles

MetroStyles Senior member

I agree.

I don't have too much love for them beyond Live at Leeds and Tommy, but those two are classics!

5. Tokyo Slim

Tokyo Slim Senior member

I'd say that about 75% of what i listen to is from the 90's. Check my playlist if you don't believe me. [​IMG]

6. soulstylist

soulstylist Senior member

...don't have to write it myself:

I'm going with the 60s because of it's historic merit as well as the plain ol kickassedness of everything that pre-dates the damn hippies.

60s soul is still THE staple in my rotataion.

early to mid-60s sees the birth of ska & rocksteady. (depending on who you listen to it could've been the 50s but Roland alphonso says '62 so I say '62)

late 60s is proto-punk garage rockers like the sonics, the Monks.

...but have to scratch out this part:

and the most significant development of the 60s is.....The Who.

there was also the beatles, the stones, the beach boys etc. so definitely the 60s.

...but have to feather it out a bit - love 50s and early 60s R&B and Rockabilly and also prefer late 60s, early 70s reggay to ska - ohhh and the there is FUNK!...

...but basicly thats just a frame for (mostly black) 6ts...

...my two labels would be Okeh and Pama btw...

7. odoreater

odoreater Senior member

90's: best hip hop + rebirth of soul through the acid jazz movement (not that cheesy RnB stuff) + great party music (Chicago-born true house music) + I was in my 20s

Hell yeah, Vanilla Ice and MC Hammer killin' it at the same time. That shit was off the hook.

8. robbie

robbie Senior member

Earlier I said 60's hands down, but I think I will add the 1990's as well. I wasn't even a glimmer in my dads eye in the 60's and I was not musically aware in the 1990's but a lot of what I listen to now is a product of those 2 decades.

9. gdl203

gdl203 Senior member Dubiously Honored Affiliate Vendor

Hell yeah, Vanilla Ice and MC Hammer killin' it at the same time. That shit was off the hook.
    I'd argue that the year 1990 (Hammer, Ice) was probably the culmination and end/death of the 1980's era of manufactured one-hit wonders.

10. GQgeek

GQgeek Senior member

romantic era, if that counts.

11. chronoaug

chronoaug Senior member

the 50s were awesome...

-Elvis sun records era
    -Eddie Cochran
    -Gene Vincent
    -Johnny Burnette
    -Little Richard
    -Charlie Rich
    -Mickey Hawkes
    -Joe Bennett and the Sparkletones
    -Janis Martin
    -Wanda Jackson
    -The Collins Kids
    -Johnny Cash sun era
    -The Cadillacs
    -The Crows
    -The Wrens
    -Ruth Brown
    -Lavern Baker
    -Big Joe Turner
    -The Comets
    -and countless numbers of "one hit wonders" that put out some amazing music

60s are great for reasons Dave mentioned...Atlantic Records, Tamla Motown Stax, soul, ska, garage.....fuckin amazing

Damn. I take it you and other posters don't dig the blues much, right? A lot of incredible pre-war blues acts still did some great stuff in the 50s, 60s and 70s. I'm surprised there aren't more blues fans here.

12. dave

dave Senior member

the '90s did as much to KILL good music as the 60s did to create it. the '00s are shaping up to be equally terrible.

13. Mauby

Mauby Senior member

I listen to a lot of 80s. Also 00s for electronic and new bossa nova

14. unicornwarrior

unicornwarrior Senior member

I believe people people discredit modern music simply because there is a perception that anything modern is inherently lacking soul and originality. Some of the better records I've heard in the last couple years have been released post 2000. It's purely a matter of taste.

I could argue the 80's were horrible in that I didn't enjoy bands like the Smiths or the Cure very much, yet I think it was an extremely important time in the development of hip hop and thrash metal.

Honestly, there is no great musical decade, and to me it seems unfair that try to classify music in this manner.

15. GY!BE

GY!BE Senior member

you put (hahaha) out next to 00's and the 80's is winning.... wowza, awesome guys