• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Favorite Mercedes-Benz model(s)

Connemara

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
List with pics!
icon_gu_b_slayer[1].gif
Mine: 540 K
1935_MercedesBenz_540KSpezialRoadster2.jpg
W113 SL
800px-71-Mercedes-Benz-280SL-1.jpg
W126 560 SEC
560%20%281%29.JPG
W126 SEL.
800px-Mercedes_Benz_450SEL_Seitenansicht.jpg
W204 C36 AMG. First C-Class I like.
icon_gu_b_slayer[1].gif
800px-C63.jpg

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Connemara
1935_MercedesBenz_540KSpezialRoadster2.jpg

You can't post this first and then expect any serious debate to follow.

JayJay

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
The 560 SEC was and is my favorite MB model. A gorgeous car.

By the way, the wheels on the one in the pic are an abomination.

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by JayJay
The 560 SEC was and is my favorite MB model. A gorgeous car.

By the way, the wheels on the one in the pic are an abomination.

It really is a beauty--from back when Mercedes wasn't afraid to be Mercedes nor trying deperately to maximize market share.

ccc123

Reaction score
start and stop with 540 K - there really is no point of consideration after that.

gamelan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
ok, this looks like a fun thread. i wanna play. someone should start up a Porsche and BMW one.

my all time favorite (and i can't imagine i'd be the only one):

300SL

while growing up:

AMG Hammer

yeah, i'll probably catch some flack for this one. but they've been in the Benz lineup for years and aren't just for hauling around rappers and celebs with way too much money:

G-Wagen

-Jeff

Full Canvas

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
There are many favorites. While the 540K is up there where few others can claim to be, my personal favorite (below) is slightly more mundane. It is Lloyd Dryer's black 1955 300 SL Gullwing with the Rudge knock-on wheels and bright red leather upholstery.

Lloyd was an engineer for Lockheed and was assigned to their little outpost in the hills above Santa Cruz on Empire Grade Road. He was dating my aunt and wanted to take her to the SCCA races at Camp Stoneman near Pittsburg, California. Lloyd had just purchased the car used from Munras Motors (the Mercedes dealer) in Monterey.

He couldn't understand why my aunt didn't want to go. So, he turned to me and said, "Set your alarm for 5:00 a.m., I'm taking you to the races tomorrow if your aunt won't go." Early the next morning we roared "over the mountain" toward San Jose, up old Highway 101 to San Francisco, across the Bay Bridge to Oakland, and on to finally arrive at Camp Stoneman. The place was a U.S. Army camp during WWII and deeded to the city and other local agencies in the late 1950s - early 1960s. It was then largely unused except for sporadic events such as sports car races.

All of this happened in 1964. I took a few black and white rolls of the events with my trusty Polaroid. This image was made just after we arrived. That's Lloyd closing the Gullwing's rear lid.

Mercedes-Benz-1955RudgeGullwingatCa.jpg

___

Christofuh

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Few cars can touch the 540K for the sheer obscenity factor.
Some pre-WWII Alfas and Lancias, perhaps.

RyJ Maduro

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've always been partial to the early-70's 280 SE cabriolets.

800px-1971_Mercedes-Benz_280_SE.JPG

Bradford

Current Events Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Connemara
List with pics!
icon_gu_b_slayer[1].gif
Mine:

800px-71-Mercedes-Benz-280SL-1.jpg

This picture is of a 1971 280SL, but it's exactly the same body as the '68 250SL that my parents had when I was in high school. I got to drive it quite a bit including taking it to prom. However my sister who is 3-years younger had it as her daily driver - at least until one night coming home from a party she totaled it
frown.gif

I still meet people from my high school who know my sister as "the girl who wrecked the Mercedes".

JoeWoah

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by gamelan
ok, this looks like a fun thread. i wanna play. someone should start up a Porsche and BMW one.

my all time favorite (and i can't imagine i'd be the only one):

300SL

-Jeff

I think we are done here.

fritzl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Full Canvas
He couldn't understand why my aunt didn't want to go. So, he turned to me and said, "Set your alarm for 5:00 a.m., I'm taking you to the races tomorrow if your aunt won't go." Early the next morning we roared "over the mountain" toward San Jose, up old Highway 101 to San Francisco, across the Bay Bridge to Oakland, and on to finally arrive at Camp Stoneman. The place was a U.S. Army camp during WWII and deeded to the city and other local agencies in the late 1950s - early 1960s. It was then largely unused except for sporadic events such as sports car races.

i envy this
laugh.gif

Nicholas

Reaction score
Originally Posted by ccc123
start and stop with 540 K - there really is no point of consideration after that.

i concur.

johnapril

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I like the 1971 280SL. I'd prefer one that was worn like a ball glove so I wasn't worried about door dings all the time. Understated but would be fun to drive in nice weather.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads