• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Favorite leather messenger bags (not briefcases)?

josepidal

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Lots of people have posted favorite briefcases here, especially when kolecho was discussing his Swaine Adeney Brigg projects.

On a less ambitious note, my canvas messenger bag is just so beat up I want to replace it (I know it has character, but the straps and fastening have given way so it's close to unserviceable). I was hoping to get some kind of leather messenger or saddelbag type thing that is obviously not a leather briefcase and would work great for travel or long leisurely walks. Ideally, it would have enough room for a camera, flask, hardcover novel, sunglasses, etc. and possibly a large laptop.

I was looking for some ideas so I have something in mind when I go look around, so was wondering if people here might have photos of their favorite leather messenger bags?

dkzzzz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
"Stork-sak" diaper bag.

LabelKing

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by dkzzzz
"Stork-sak" diaper bag.

bag-klm.JPG

jefferson

Reaction score
I went through a similar task a few years back. I needed a bag to carry everyday to the office, a bag suitable for client meetings, and a bag for more casual applications (carrying books, etc). Originally, I wanted to get one bag to do it all, but after some research and thought, I decided to get dedicated bags for each application. For a more casual use, the bag I ended up with was a Waterfield Bag. Although I'm a little biased as they are based locally in San Francisco, do a little research and you'll see that they are known for great construction and attention to detail. They also provide hundreds of different laptop cases for each specific model, also customizable in terms of dimension and color. I also needed some customization on my bag so I dropped an email, to which they responded by phone, and they were happy to rip the bag apart to make the modification I wanted. All at no extra charge. Great company.

(After reading my post, it sounds kind of sales-pitchy. Oh well.
smile.gif
)

ms244

Reaction score

Gus

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
A favorite of mine for casual use is this vintage, all leather, U.S. Mail carriers bag. It has loads of room. It is the first one I ever saw that had the shoulder strap in perfect condition so I bought it and I'm glad I did.

Gus

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
These only have some leather trim but I also like them for casual use. The fishing creel is lined with a removable rubber liner that snaps in and out. When my son was born, I refused to carry some flowery baby bag so I went out and got this. It was a big hit and perfect for diapers, bottles and toys. Now, 21 years later, I am still using it although it has yet to hold a fish!

The larger portfolio bag is new. I purchased it at the Dover Street Market in London last year. It is made by the same classic English company as the fishing creel. It is roomier and ideal for carrying larger art pieces and portfolios.

Both are made by Brady in the UK.

TheHoff

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've posted this before but since you ask...
29nuo0o.jpg

ms244

Reaction score
Not to hijack this thread, but when you have a messenger bag, is there some way to avoid damage where the bag and the strap rub against your clothes?

GuidoWongolini

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have a nappa leather from Giorgio Armani Black Label, slim & very soft too touch. As it is cut 'portrait' not 'landscape', it sits flatter across the side of my body (also my MacBook fits perfectly.
20071026gXX.jpg
20071026dXX.jpg
20071016aXX.jpg
20071012XX.jpg

SoCal2NYC

Fashion Hayzus
Reaction score
Up until you said a lap top I was going to reccomend the Louis Vuitton "sac plat" in Utah leather. Right now I have in mine a book, sunglass case, phone, wallet, keys and bottle of water. Still has room if you needed a few more odds and ends without over stuffing it. It's a great size for "long walks" and will prevent you from carrying excess stuff.

Augusto86

Sean Penn's Mexican love child
Reaction score
I can heartily recommend the Schlesinger Korchmar single-buckle messenger. It actually has a spring-loaded clasp under the buckle so you can either unbuckle or unclip the flap, it's got a nice lining and two smaller compartments, it has some structure so a 15 in. laptop sits nicely in it and it stays upright even when empty, and the leather is soft, smooth, and feels bulletproof.

ClothingShots069-bag-crop.jpg

Sander

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Augusto86
I can heartily recommend the Schlesinger Korchmar single-buckle messenger. It actually has a spring-loaded clasp under the buckle so you can either unbuckle or unclip the flap, it's got a nice lining and two smaller compartments, it has some structure so a 15 in. laptop sits nicely in it and it stays upright even when empty, and the leather is soft, smooth, and feels bulletproof.
I just looked Korchmar up and their products do look interesting. Where did you get it? If I recall correctly you don't live in the states as well, so there might be a chance that they're available somewhere in Germany as well?

soulstylist

Reaction score
...waht do you think of the remake of the old German Posttasche by Manufaktum?
54915.jpg

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads