• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Favorite Leather Conditioner??

DannyB1

Reaction score
It's that time of the year, where leather needs extra moisture to combat the frigid temperatures and salty streets here in the Midwest. I'm wondering what everyone's favorite leather conditioner is?

I've used both lexol and leather honey. I have not noticed a a big difference between them in terms of results. Lexol is much lighter, leather honey is very thick, but both seem to make leather feel th same. I mainly use them on shoes and bags.

Also, I have used AE cleaner/conditioner, but feel it is not a deep moisturizer.

What is your preferred leather care product?

Last edited:

MomofAnAngel

Reaction score
My very favorite Leather Conditioner is one by Howard.
They are famous for their wood care products, but also make a leather conditioner that is out of this world!
Here is a link to their website and I believe you can call them or use a locator on their site.
www.howardproducts.com

Good luck!
smile.gif

patrickBOOTH

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Depends on the kind of leather, what the intended use of the leather is, and the finish I am trying to create/preserve.

dohare

Reaction score
i drunkenly had a bum condition my boots on the streets of philadelphia at 4am outside of the club, idk what he used, but they look damn good. only gave him $11 too.

patrickBOOTH

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
It was probably a combination of stool and urine. You should ask him what he eats.

coloRLOw

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
generally, for gloves and briefcase, which conditioner should i choose?

patrickBOOTH

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Honestly, you can't go wrong with Lexol or Bickmore's Bick4. I would say for gloves and brief you want something like Lexol because its technology is designed for leathers that come into contact with clothing and skin, it's a conditioner that doesn't "migrate" onto other surfaces or leave a tacky, oily finish (when used as instructed) that attracts dust, dirt, and gives you spots and oil marks on your clothes.

Last edited:

ryewo[i dmfsOZI490w

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Honestly, you can't go wrong with Lexol or Bickmore's Bick4. I would say for gloves and brief you want something like Lexol because its technology is designed for leathers that come into contact with clothing and skin, it's a conditioner that doesn't "migrate" onto other surfaces or leave a tacky, oily finish (when used as instructed) that attracts dust, dirt, and gives you spots and oil marks on your clothes.

I used Obenauf's LP on a horsehide briefcase, and was annoyed that it became sticky and would transfer to my trousers. I'll use Lexol next time, thanks for the tip.

patrickBOOTH

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
If you're going to use Obenauf's on briefcases, or furniture or whatever you should use the Leather oil, not the LP, it absorbs easier, but still you have to use it sparingly and really work into into the leather and let it sit a while (day or so) to let it be absorbed, then buff it with a cloth to get up remnants.

ryewo[i dmfsOZI490w

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

If you're going to use Obenauf's on briefcases, or furniture or whatever you should use the Leather oil, not the LP, it absorbs easier, but still you have to use it sparingly and really work into into the leather and let it sit a while (day or so) to let it be absorbed, then buff it with a cloth to get up remnants.

It was probably my mistake - I used it on my Wolverine's to protect them for snow/salt/water, and thought it would be good on my briefcase. So I'll either use the Lexol or the Obenauf's leather oil next time.

DWFII

Bespoke Boot and Shoemaker
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

It was probably my mistake - I used it on my Wolverine's to protect them for snow/salt/water, and thought it would be good on my briefcase. So I'll either use the Lexol or the Obenauf's leather oil next time.

To the extent that it's sticky (as you observed regarding your briefcase) it's not better for your boots than for your other leather goods. Sticky collects dirt and salt and that leads to deterioration and cracking of the leather.

I recommend Montana PitchBlend for waterproofing work boots but stipulate that it should be gently warmed with a hairdryer to get it into the leather and off the surface.

patrickBOOTH

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I have used both Obenaufs and Montana and I think both react the same way if used as directed vs. overused. I think people tend to overdo it with both products. FWIW, both are completely natural, just from different sources, Montana is pine pitch, Obenaufs is propolis. I think both have a beeswax base.

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads