1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Favorite guitarist

Discussion in 'Entertainment, Culture, and Sports' started by Connemara, May 10, 2008.

1. robbie

robbie Senior member

Jack White III
    Pete Townsend
    Junior Brown

Those are the first 3 that came to mind I didn't already see in the thread.

2. downwithianbrown

downwithianbrown Senior member

3. DBoon

DBoon Senior member

4. why

why Senior member

Angus! Angus!

5. brlfvr

brlfvr Senior member

+1 on Angus
    Jon Brion
    Page
    Johnny Greenwood
    Johnny Marr

6. whodini

whodini Senior member

^^^

Weird. I know Brion's multi-talented but I still think of his piano work before guitar.

I'm also not surprised to see Greenwood and Marr together in the same breath. They share a lot in common.

7. brlfvr

brlfvr Senior member

^^^

Weird. I know Brion's multi-talented but I still think of his piano work before guitar.

I'm also not surprised to see Greenwood and Marr together in the same breath. They share a lot in common.

He's more known as a guitarist than piano as far as studio hire goes. Listen to those early Aimee Mann records. He's also done a ton of studio work as a guitarist on everything from Fiona Apple to Macy Grey. Also made a record with a band called the Greys that has some great guitar from Jason Falkner as well.
    He has a great sense of country bends and melody but not so traditional.

8. whodini

whodini Senior member

That's weird because of the times I've seen him live he's usually on keys or playing with a bunch of pedals.

9. matadorpoeta

matadorpoeta Senior member

I've loved Paco ever since I first heard Entre Dos Aguas, not long after it was issued.

if you like entre dos aguas, you will love this.
    IMPORTANT NOTICE: No media files are hosted on these forums. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website. We can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. If the video does not play, wait a minute or try again later. I AGREE

TIP: to embed Youtube clips, put only the encoded part of the Youtube URL, e.g. eBGIQ7ZuuiU between the tags.

it's called rumba improvisada. he later re-worked this song into entre dos aguas but to my ears, this one is much better.

there are times when i really hate this forum and this is one of them. on the second page of this thread i posted the mother of all guitar solos; the most beautiful, passionate, expressive, noble guitar music any of you cretins has ever heard, and yet, two posts later, pocketsquare posts this:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

10. brlfvr

brlfvr Senior member

That's weird because of the times I've seen him live he's usually on keys or playing with a bunch of pedals.

I'm assuming you're talking about his performances at Largo. I'm not saying he's better at one or the other, he's also a really good drummer. The piano stuff I've seen him do is mostly that ragtime style which is fine but I really fine him more exciting as a guitarists. I've met him a few times as we have some mutual friends. I'm told he's a little bored with guitar. Oh well.

11. whodini

whodini Senior member

Largo and other times when he's helped Brad Mehldau.

12. Fulcannelli

Fulcannelli Senior member

Hendrix
    Rory Gallagher
    Chet Atkins

13. Dedalus

Dedalus Senior member

I don't think I've seen these names yet:

Lou Reed
    Joey Santiago
    Nick Drake
    David Pajo
    Steven Malkmus

14. mljones99

mljones99 Senior member

SRV
    Dimebag Darrell

15. pstoller

pstoller Senior member

if you like entre dos aguas, you will love this. it's called rumba improvisada. he later re-worked this song into entre dos aguas but to my ears, this one is much better.

Don't know about "better," but it's sublime, thank you.

Well, he's not on my personal top ten or anything, but Eddie's no slouch, and he raised the bar in some ways for a generation of rock guitarists (and fans.) So, I don't begrudge anyone loving him.

16. Tourangh

Tourangh Senior member

there are times when i really hate this forum and this is one of them. on the second page of this thread i posted the mother of all guitar solos; the most beautiful, passionate, expressive, noble guitar music any of you cretins has ever heard, and yet, two posts later, pocketsquare posts this:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

It's just personal taste in music. It seems that you like latin/flamenco/classical guitar while others prefer classic rock and whodini likes modern rock/alternative music. So I wouldn't say that anyone who likes Van Halen is to be shunned.

Anyways just over the weekend I found out that Slash does a song called obsession confession. This song I have been hearing on the local jazz station is not something I thought slash would be playing. Anyways great song.

17. djs488

djs488 Senior member

John Mayer. [​IMG] I'm dead serious too. I would recommend his Try! album which is just a live compilation as a blues trio. I could listen to SRV forever, and Robin Trower for a while as well. Mayer's tone is particularly pleasing to my ears, however.

18. riotshield

riotshield Well-Known Member

I think this kid might be. A few others: Kotaro Oshio (steel string fingerstyle) Clapton Nick Drake Elliott Smith

19. maxnharry

maxnharry Senior member

Pete Townshend
    Steve Howe
    Alex Lifeson
    David Gilmour
    Brian May
    Joe Walsh

20. Thracozaag

Thracozaag Senior member

I think this kid might be.

Wow, pretty amazing.