Favorite guitarist

Discussion in 'Entertainment, Culture, and Sports' started by Connemara, May 10, 2008.

1. grundletaint

grundletaint Senior member

jeff beck
    neil young
    hendrix
    david gilmour
    jeff beck
    john scofield
    duane allman
    jeff beck
    keith richards
    eric krasno
    john mclaughlin
    jeff beck

2. grimslade

grimslade Senior member

Page.

3. grundletaint

grundletaint Senior member

4. whodini

whodini Conan OOOOOOO"BRIEN!

Sorry if it's for real, but it sounds like one of those spoof solo things which that Finnish guy did on youtube, where he overdubbed some videos of Clapton, Yngwie, Vai, etc with atonal or just wrong notes (googling "(guitarist name) shred" usually does it).

If it's bonafide, I guess I'm not ready for the avant-garde stuff [​IMG]

It's definitely real. Greenwood wrote a computer patch that sampled the sound from his guitar at random intervals and with random looping. The result was a bridge between analog and digital which to me was nothing short of genius since it came as such an unexpected twist in a relatively subdued rock song. I appreciate the classic rock gods but do become bored with their rather forumulaic approach to tackling a solo. Greenwood is the one musician I look up to the most as he is consistently reliable for a shot in the arm and a kick in the pants, musically speaking. Could he play that outro like the standard bluesman? As a classically-trained musician, sure. But would he be happy with applying the bare minimum? Never. In the end I suppose it's just a matter of you enjoy your music inside or outside the box.

5. JohnnyGringo

JohnnyGringo Member

SRV
    Duane Allman
    James Burton
    Scotty Moore
    Albert King
    BB King

6. clarity

clarity Senior member

Hard to pick just one but I like Jeff Beck, Slash, SRV and Hendrix the most.

7. Lawman

Lawman Senior member

In no particular order:

Steve Lukather
    Gary Moore
    Stevie Ray Vaughn
    Larry Carlton
    Neil Schon
    Eddie Van Halen

8. finch

finch Senior member

Hard to choose...

Eddie Van Halen
    Robert Cray
    Eric Clapton
    Santana
    SRV
    Duane Allman

9. Tourangh

Tourangh Senior member

I left out two on my list: Eric Clapton and Slash. There are alot of good blues guitarists being named that are underrated since blues is not as popular as other genres such as classic rock. Although SRV definitely seems to be getting some attention [​IMG]

10. CunningSmeagol

CunningSmeagol Senior member

It's definitely real. Greenwood wrote a computer patch that sampled the sound from his guitar at random intervals and with random looping. The result was a bridge between analog and digital which to me was nothing short of genius since it came as such an unexpected twist in a relatively subdued rock song.

I appreciate the classic rock gods but do become bored with their rather forumulaic approach to tackling a solo. Greenwood is the one musician I look up to the most as he is consistently reliable for a shot in the arm and a kick in the pants, musically speaking. Could he play that outro like the standard bluesman? As a classically-trained musician, sure. But would he be happy with applying the bare minimum? Never.

In the end I suppose it's just a matter of you enjoy your music inside or outside the box.

I agree that classic rock guitar solos get boring and repetitive, esp the blues based ones, but there are many ways of breaking out of this idiom, many ways of not playing blues. For me, music should be purpose driven; randomness and atonality do not get it done to my ear. My favorite music, harmonically and melodically (excluding for a moment rhythm, dynamics, etc.), typically falls well within 'tonal' boundaries but outside of, though perhaps including, what we'd call blues. Ick, what a sentence.

Anyway, anyone from Jim Hall to Pat Metheny to Kurt Rosenwinkel are decidedly not playing SRV-type 'blues', but they're going from V to I just like anyone else. The difference between these guys and Greenwood is that they're expanding and hopefully improving an existing vocabulary, while JG is throwing all that history out the window. Two ways to skin the cat, I suppose, but I tend to prefer the former.

11. robbie

robbie Pleading Poverty

Jack White III
    Pete Townsend
    Junior Brown

Those are the first 3 that came to mind I didn't already see in the thread.

12. downwithianbrown

downwithianbrown Senior member

13. DBoon

DBoon Senior member

14. why

why Senior member

Angus! Angus!

15. brlfvr

brlfvr Senior member

+1 on Angus
    Jon Brion
    Page