1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Favorite German fashion brands

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by SteG, Mar 29, 2010.

1. le.gentleman

le.gentleman Senior member

Schneider's of Austria produced indeed nice overcoats. However, Seidensticker are absolutely not of top notch quality imho. As mentioned above, Regent, Falke, Ign Joseph, Van Laack and Emanuel Berg are probably the only RTW/MTM brands in this thread that are of interest to most SF patrons.
    Herr von Eden is more fashion forward but certainly no artisan quality.

2. krakatoa

krakatoa Well-Known Member

3. David Reeves

David Reeves Senior member Affiliate Vendor

Jil Sander. Lagerfeld. Boss is so bad it can be good.

4. Grigory

Grigory Senior member

Lodenfrey makes great jackets. + 1 for Schneiders. Very nice overcoats of highest quality - but they are actually made in Salzburg, Austria, not Germany[​IMG]

5. erpet

erpet Senior member

A brand like Engineered Garments will *never* happen in Germany, that's why the question is too hypothetical to seriously think about.

I beg to differ. The guy on the link looks more German than anything else I've seen on this forum. Have you ever been to Berlin?

6. davesmith

davesmith Senior member Affiliate Vendor

no-one mentions patrick hellmann?

7. lasbar

lasbar Senior member

The federal police, Bundespolizei, will have consistently navy blue uniforms by the end of 2012 to be in line with EU policy. The regional police forces of the 16 federal countries, Landespolizei, will have six different blue/black uniforms among them, with Bavaria and Saarland actually keeping the old green/mustard ones. Total mess.

Bavaria and Saarland ?

They're not even real Germans anyway...[​IMG]

8. --Jonas--

--Jonas-- Senior member

Well, to the rest of the world Germans often seem to be Bavarians.

I totally agree on the Saarland though [​IMG] [​IMG]

9. JoelF

JoelF Senior member

I have a overcoat from Cinque that I bought at Globus in Geneva. Very nice coat though I don't know anything else about the brand.

10. comrade

comrade Senior member

I do not know whether they still exist, but Windsor Hosen (slacks)
    were very high quality and offered interesting fabrics.

11. 46raffke

46raffke New Member

The Janker is a traditional Bavarian / Austrian Jacket / Cardigan, which is often made of Loden or Wool. It is worn by men in"societys for traditional costumes", in german called "Trachtenverein". The Bavarian and Austrian people wear them also for "Sch├╝tzenfeste" (Celebrations with their popular Rifle Clubs) and some of them wear them in their everyday life, though i have to say that the people in munich mostly differ from the people outside. These traditional costumes became very popular sometime, and since that point the quality is getting worse. They have some other traditional costumes which are interesting, like the "Kotzen" or other Loden-Coats.

12. clapeyron

clapeyron Senior member

I have a hard on for Bogner. Pun intended. Most of my outerwear and skiing gear is from Willy Bogner.

I have more Hugo Boss items than I care to admit. Their suits, while being fused just fit me OTR. Also, their jeans and cashmere/wool sweaters, are slim cut and have extra long sleeves.

13. JTP1000

JTP1000 Active Member

I like Brax for casual pants.

14. Cant kill da Rooster

Cant kill da Rooster Senior member

Yes me too. I have jeans and linen pants by Brax and the fit is fantastic.

While in Europe I expected Hugo Boss to be priced much lower based on proximity. This was not the case, and when I asked a local (Canadian) SA why, he said that the quality is different than in North America as they are constructed in different locations. Therefore the HB available in Europe is better quality. Anyone know if there is any truth to this or was the SA full of it?

15. Kiwi Man

Kiwi Man Senior member

Why do so many in here say that Jil Sander is a bad brand?

16. SteG

SteG Well-Known Member

WUNDERKIND is German designer Wolfgang Joop's (of JOOP! clothing) couture label that he launched with womenswear in 2004 and menswear in 2010. Wunderkind production was halted in 2010. The prices were simply over the top and his investors backed out. The men's dandy-style collection in pastel colors was not everyone's taste either. The quality had better been superior - at 3000 euros for a suit. Joop presented a new WUNDERKIND women's fall/winter 2012/13 collection in early May 2012. There is no mention of menswear on the web site anymore.
    www.wunderkind.com

As for JIL SANDER: Ms. Sander returned to the label she founded 40 years ago in early 2012. Her first collection will be presented at the Milan menswear shows on June 23, 2012. Critics said, Raf Simons did a good job at Jil Sander but I didn't care for triangular metal pendants on jackets, cow-hide style overcoats or rainbow-color striped wool sweaters - to pick the not so cool examples IMHO... I have a dark blue wool and mohair overcoat from Jil Sander, though, that I consider one of my favorite winter coats. Also a few great shirts, light summer pants and a pair of beige suede loafers that I've had for years, and I still want one of their beige or dark blue ultra-light summer blazers.

Jil Sander SS2011 (the rainbow collection)
    [​IMG]

Jil Sander SS2009 (the pendant collection)
    [​IMG]

Jil Sander FW2008 (the cow-hide / marble collection)
    [​IMG]

Last edited: May 21, 2012