• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Favorite coffeemaker

Ivan Kipling

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
chefschoice.jpg

I've tried lots and lots of coffee making machines; this one is my favorite. An electric French Press. Boils the water for you. Turns out rich, silky smooth coffee each time. Strong and robust, but not bitter. Made in Germany, from Chef's Choice. What's your favorite coffee making machine? What about those old style, metal percolators? Any of you still use them?

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
The best coffee I have ever had is from Mr. K's, an absurdly expensive Chinese restaurant in DC. It's hard to describe how they make it, but basically they use a contraption that looks a chemistry experiment. The water is boiled in a beaker and forced up into a container directly above, where the grounds are. They mingle there for a while, then the waiter cuts off the heat supply, and all the liquid (which by now is coffee) drains a back into the beaker below, minus the grounds. Excellent!

Ivan Kipling

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
denimdestroyedmylife, that is one impressive setup! Seems to have a build in grinder? Nice!
Manton, I know exactly what you're talking about . . . will look for a photo. The Peterman Company used to offer a contraption like that. I have an electric range; it doesn't work too well with coffee pots, etc. Otherwise, I'd buy one of those vacuum coffeemakers.

Ivan Kipling

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
untitled.jpg
There you go, Manton . . . is this what you're describing?

spertia

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I don't drink coffee, but my wife does. Every morning she grinds the beans, boils some water, and puts it all in this piece by Eva Solo:

16003.E7D80753.jpg

From the manufacturer:

"The CafeSolo coffee-maker makes original coffee. Brewed on the basis of the original method. Without steam or pushing and pulling. Without machinery and filters. Simply coffee beans and water. Spoon the ground coffee into the glass flask and add boiling water. Stir for 10 seconds and place the drip-free filter funnel in the flask. Wait 4 minutes and pour."

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Ivan Kipling
untitled.jpg
There you go, Manton . . . is this what you're describing?

Looks sort of like it. Same principle, I would guess, but a different maker.

Ivan Kipling

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
spertia, that's a well dressed coffeemaker!
coffeeveins.gif

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Ivan Kipling
denimdestroyedmylife, that is one impressive setup! Seems to have a build in grinder? Nice!
thanks! actually, no built in grinder. i'm not sure what you are looking at. the water goes through the spout above the reservoir, then drips through the arm into the filter above the pot. i disable the heating element so that the coffee doesn't cook in the pot. the coffee is perfect, though. i love this machine.

Ivan Kipling

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Understood. Thanks for explaining.

Hawkeye

Reaction score
This is funny, I just got into the market for a new coffee maker. One of my housemates anonymously shattered my French Press by dropping a handful of silverware into it! Apparently, I need something a little tougher so I'm leaning toward a Bialetti, anybody have one? I've heard they are in 9 out of 10 households in Italy.

Baron

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I use a Gaggia Tebe Espresso machine and a burr grinder. I never thought I could deal with the hassle of making espresso every morning, but now that I've started I'm a complete snob about it. Nothing is more annoying than a barrista in a cafe that doesn't know how to make proper espresso.

vaclava krishna

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
1131138881-1962.jpg

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads