• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • Epaulet x Styleforum Alpine Loden Collection

Loden wool, woven in Tirol for centuries, is known for its resistance to cold and wetness. Our project in collaboration with Epaulet introduces Alpine Loden, a modern 18oz fabric blend of 75% merino wool and 25% nylon, woven in Italy. It's lighter, more durable, wind-resistant, and more comfortable than traditional Loden fabric. Partnering with Rochester Tailored Clothing, we offer custom garments like sportcoats, suits, and overcoats, made to your specifications. Learn more about the Loden collection here.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Favorite coffeemaker

saint

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Manton
The best coffee I have ever had is from Mr. K's, an absurdly expensive Chinese restaurant in DC. It's hard to describe how they make it, but basically they use a contraption that looks a chemistry experiment. The water is boiled in a beaker and forced up into a container directly above, where the grounds are. They mingle there for a while, then the waiter cuts off the heat supply, and all the liquid (which by now is coffee) drains a back into the beaker below, minus the grounds. Excellent!

I bought a similar coffee maker made by Bodum at Century 21 years ago, its kind of a pain to use. However, if you are interested they still make them, and it does make good coffee. My current fave is my Cappresso Ultimo, it turns out passable espresso etc in seconds and takes not much more time to clean.

P3R3

Reaction score
The GrindMaster OPOD
lg_opod001.jpg

aarghh

Reaction score
Coffee fanatic here. I roast my own coffee beans every weekend and use either a French press or a Rancilio Silvia espresso machine to make my coffee. The critical thing, no matter what your prep method, is to grind the beans just before brewing - keeping ground coffee for more than a few minutes sublimates oils and reduces flavor. I prefer the press for reflecting the true varietal taste, and the espresso for when I need more intensity in my coffee.

I even travel with a small french press, and am soon getting a small hand-grinder to pair with it.

Manton, the apparatus you speak of is a vacuum pot - Bodum and Cory make very famous models - and it does indeed make excellent coffee, with very even extraction.

gdl203

Purveyor of the Secret Sauce
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by iammatt
Nespresso.

+1, just like my entire immediate family

andyw

Reaction score
Hi all........thinking about what to put into the coffeemaker, my favorite bean is dark roast by Graffeo in SF. I mail order it to me in NYC. What do you grind?

mano

Reaction score
Technivorm with the SS insulated caraffe. $200 but makes excellent coffee.

Ivan Kipling

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
A couple of my friends use a technivorm, I think . . . those insulated carafes are probably the way to go . . . allowing coffee to continue to 'cook' on the hot plate, is not a good thing.
As for what beans I use, it varies. Right now I'm using Rwandan French Roast, from COSTCO. My all time favorite, is Cafe la Semeuse.

chobochobo

Rubber Chicken
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by iammatt
Nespresso.

I have two: an Alessi and a ES80 from the professional series (long story but basically was too successful during an ebay spree). Both are very good and I can make myself a latte that is nicer than Starbucks.

itsstillmatt

The Liberator
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by gdl203
+1, just like my entire immediate family
I think that it would sell as well here as in Europe if the Nestle name had the same reputation.

jpeirpont

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by dave023
Italian way...

+2 although cleaning it is a pain. Do you wash it before/after every use?

Jared

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by jpeirpont
+2 although cleaning it is a pain. Do you wash it before/after every use?
I have a theory, which hopefully the more knowledgeable can comment on, that coffee makers should not be washed after every use. If you run your finger along the inside of a coffee maker that has only been rinsed, you will note a layer of oil. Once this oil is removed the next brew will deposit a similar layer, which is less oil that ends up in your cup. I'm hesitant to give up washing indefinitely, as you would with a teapot, because oil can go rancid (keep your coffee maker in the fridge?) and creme sticks to the oil, turning it into scum.
smile.gif
Perhaps a porous material like cast iron would acquire "seasoning"?

amerikajinda

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm saving my loose change for this bad boy:
prodlargejurahg2.jpg
(if you don't recognize it, it's the Jura Capresso Impressa S9 Super Automatic Espresso Center with Dual Frother Plus and frothXpress Plus System) http://www.capresso.com/prod_super_jura.html

Featured Sponsor

Invisible Socks: Convenience or Curse?

• Convenience

• Curse

Results are only viewable after voting.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lindafassett927