1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Favorite clothing-related occurrence in a movie

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by imageWIS, May 26, 2004.

1. untilted

untilted Senior member

2. SirWilliam

SirWilliam Senior member

The part in the movie "The Hard Way" where Michael J. Fox's is hanging off the side of a building, his shoe falls off and he goes "Oh, Shit that was a Ferragamo!"

3. voxsartoria

voxsartoria Senior member

4. idfnl

idfnl Senior member

2 that come to mind for me are both from the late great Robert Altman.

I loved the way wardrobes were portrayed in Gosford Park, truly one of the greatest movies that has ever been made... a MUST see.

Second, while nobody agrees, I loved Pret-a-Porter (ready to wear) - very funny movie. That scene where Marcelo Mastroianni (needing clothes) breaks into Danny Aiello's room and tailors his jacket, then later on Aiello spots it and says to the person he was with 'hey, I have that same jacket'.

5. idfnl

idfnl Senior member

american psycho.

+1 - brilliant

6. Ich_Dien

Ich_Dien Senior member

I always thought the character of Louis in Spielberg's 'Munich' looked rather good. Obviously, with the film set after 72' there is an awful lot of Yves Saint Laurent inspired roped shoulders and wide lapels.

In a modern setting it would look rather outrageous, but in this movie looks very good.

7. Palladio

Palladio Well-Known Member

How about the "Coffee is for Closers" speech in Glengerry Glenross?

"See this watch? See this watch?"

"Yeah..."

"This watch cost more than your car."

8. yfyf

yfyf Senior member Affiliate Vendor

Tony Leung in Wong Kar Wai's "In the Mood for Love" is the only time I have ever liked cufflinks and french cuffs.

9. Hard2Fit

Hard2Fit Senior member

A great scene from 25th hour:

Frank Slaughtery: You know, you're wearing a striped shirt with a striped tie, you know that, right?

Phelan: Yeah, I do it for the ladies.

Frank Slaughtery: Oh - the ladies ever tell you that you look like a fucking optical illusion?

+1.

10. Modernist

Modernist Senior member

Tony Leung in Wong Kar Wai's "In the Mood for Love" is the only time I have ever liked cufflinks and french cuffs.

That is a beautiful movie. And the clothes are just perfect. Tony Leung's suits are great. I like the sheen.

11. rioni

rioni Senior member

12. Albern

Albern Senior member

Second star to the right and straight on 'til morn
    At the moment, for me it has to be Gangs of New York:

[​IMG]

I love the idea of the odd jacket, odd trouser, odd waistcoat, and to finish it off with a top hat. For some reason I like wearing sportscoats more than suits most of the time. I make it a challenge to squeeze as much colour as I can into one ensemble. I guess part of that influence is from this Victorian (?) image with a twist.

13. utspg

utspg Active Member

The Hudsucker Proxy.

Paul Newman is being fitted for a suit:

Luigi: Mr. Moose-burger, I give-a you pants a nice-a dooble stitch, eh? Make 'em strong, and they look-a real sharp.
    Sidney J. Mussburger: No! Single stitch is fine.
    Luigi: But the double stitch will last forever.
    Sidney J. Mussburger: Why on earth would I need a double stitch? To pad your account? Single stitch is fine.
    [Cut to Later as Mussburger is being grasped by his pants to prevent him from falling 50 stories to his death]'
    Luigi: Ah, what the heck. Mr. Moose-burger is such a nice-a man, I give him double stitch anyway. That's some strong stitch, you bet.

14. LabelKing

LabelKing Senior member

15. darkoak

darkoak Senior member

... thought I would resurrect an old thread instead of starting a new one. So, I'm watching the movie "Family Man" with Nicolas Cage on TV. I've seen it before, but I like to watch the scene where he's dead-broke and trying on a Zegna suit. And, then he proceeds to look himself over in a mirror and immediately recommends to the SA all the necessary tailoring. It reminded me of the first time I ever heard of E. Zegna - it was a Zegna ad campaign for Al Pacino in "Simone" (never saw the movie, but still remember the cross-marketing).
    My favorite "suit" scene in Family Man was when Nicolas' Cage said " . . . and Oxxford called," to which Cage replied, "Ahh yes, my suits are ready." The next scene showed his very indulgent closet.

16. mbell

mbell Senior member

+1 for family man. I loved the "power suit" that he wanted to purchase and ended up wearing the used car salesman jacket. Classic. Anyone know the maker of the Manhattan "power suit" ?

The other thing about Family Man is Cage's character's wife sees him lusting after the Zegna suit and she later buys him a Zegna knockoff. Earlier in the movie when he is still the rich guy his secretary says something about some Oxxford suits that are to be delivered.

mike

17. kischi

kischi Senior member

18. doublebucklemonk

doublebucklemonk Well-Known Member

19. Douglas

Douglas Senior member

[​IMG]

My favorite part is when Gleason, after playing all night, washes and powders up, puts his jacket back on, and is ready to play some more.

20. JohnGalt

JohnGalt Senior member