• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Favorite "cheap" watch?

chorse123

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
What is your favorite watch under $250? I'm not talking an eBay steal; I mean a watch readily available (can be on-line, and discount) for under $250. I know this is in many ways an absurd question. $250 is at once a good chunk of change, and yet nothing when it comes to "real," "serious" watches. Still, I'm curious what your favorites are. Can be any style and movement.

I'll offer this: Tissot PRS 516 automatic (ETA 2836-2, 25 Jewel)
T91_1_413_51.gif

JBZ

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I really like (and own) the Seiko SKX031K2 Diver.

SKX031K2.jpg

16520Man

Reaction score
For that price range, nothing beats vintage. You can find many reliable, solid gold pieces with a simple Google search.

Hamilton%2001.jpg

skalogre

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

skalogre

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Addendum:
I agree with 16520Man! You can find some really amazing deals on vintage watches, as long as it is not a Big Name (like Omega Rolex et al).

skalogre

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by JBZ
Looks very nice!

Wish I could take photographs of that calibre. All his pics of the watch are just stunning. It helps that the watch is really nice looking, of course
smile.gif
- and only around $130!

Ambulance Chaser

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Seiko Orange Monster

gdl203

Purveyor of the Secret Sauce
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by 16520Man
For that price range, nothing beats vintage. You can find many reliable, solid gold pieces with a simple Google search.

I don't think the word "reliable" should feature in that sentence.

Reliability with vintage watches is a craps shoot unless you can verify that the movement was recently serviced and you actually trust the watchmaker who serviced it

skalogre

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by s0upb0ne
looks like a knockoff of a IWC Portuguese.
It is actually a copy/reissue of the chronometer used by the Chinese Air Force in the early 1960's. The story goes that the Soviets were offerred the tooling for the Venus 175 around the mid 1950's but they already were happy with what they previously got from Valjoux (with later improvements it became the ubiquitous and sturdy Poljot 3133 movement). As relations between the PRC and the USSR were cold to say the least, it was not politically feasible to get military chronometers from the Soviets. So when the Chinese were offerred the tooling for the Venus 175 they took it - with development it became this movement (ST19 is apparently a civilian designation). The model is called 1963 unofficially because it mirrors the chrono of that period. Frankly, even if it were a copy of an IWC, it is not such a problem for me. THis watch has its own character and quite the provenance and history
smile.gif
Edit: gdl203: Excellent point regarding the servicing. Especially in these days of Geek Squad-style watch repairs
frown.gif

gdl203

Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
chorse123 - Since you picked a sports watch as an example for your post, the two brands that come to mind and that I would recommend (in the new watch category - i.e. not vintage or second-hand) are Seiko and Hamilton.

Here's an example of Hamilton that I like in that price range:
B0006IQ1B8.01-AMH7PAW9F6IK3._SS500_SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg

Are you actually looking for one or is it just a discussion topic?

gdl203

Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by s0upb0ne
looks like a knockoff of a IWC Portuguese.

I don't think it does. At all

skalogre

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
gdl203:

What Hamilton is that?

JBZ

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by gdl203
chorse123 - Since you picked a sports watch as an example for your post, the two brands that come to mind and that I would recommend (in the new watch category - i.e. not vintage or second-hand) are Seiko and Hamilton.

Here's an example of Hamilton that I like in that price range:
B0006IQ1B8.01-AMH7PAW9F6IK3._SS500_SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg

Are you actually looking for one or is it just a discussion topic?

Before I bought my Seiko, I seriously considered a Hamilton similar to this. I ended up going with the Seiko because I've always really liked the look of the Rolex Submariner (which the Seiko blatantly copies). However, based on my research, I would have been pretty happy with the Hamilton.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads