1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Favorite Champagne???

Discussion in 'Social Life, Food & Drink, Travel' started by Soph, Aug 7, 2006.

1. dkzzzz

dkzzzz Senior member

Schramsberg Blanc de Noir is our new, regular favorite. At about $35 a bottle it is a great value. I don't recall anything under $100 a bottle that tastes as good.

IMHO, better Champagne are Gruet BdNoir-$15.00, Roederer BdNoir-$27.00

2. A Y

A Y Senior member

Roederer BdNoir-$27.00

When did Roederer make a blanc de noirs? Was it a one-off thing?

--Andre

3. c3cubed

c3cubed Senior member

Grande Dame / Veuve Cliquot

4. Stazy

Stazy Senior member

The most recent bottle of champagne I bought was a 1995 Pol Roger Winston Churchill. It hasn`t been opened yet but I`m looking forward to trying it.

5. dkzzzz

dkzzzz Senior member

When did Roederer make a blanc de noirs? Was it a one-off thing?

--Andre

They made around 3000 bottles available for sale in 2007 according to their own site.
    I have relatively hard time locating them in MA . Meaning I know two stores that carry that Champagne in Rose and I have to drive 30-40 minutes to either.
    If you call around you might find a store in your area that stocks it. Ask for Anderson Valley Roederer with Pink Foil (regular ubiquitous Roderer has a gold one).

6. A Y

A Y Senior member

According to their website, Roederer Estate Roses are made from a combination of dfferent grapes. Blanc de noirs are made only from Pinot Noir.

--Andre

7. dkzzzz

dkzzzz Senior member

According to their website, Roederer Estate Roses are made from a combination of dfferent grapes. Blanc de noirs are made only from Pinot Noir.

--Andre

Yes they call their Rose Champagne "Rose" not BdNoir that is true.

However, BdNoir is no longer made out of 100% Pinot. Regulations even in France do not require 100% Pinot content and I frankly have not heard of 100% Pinot Champagne or ever tried one. In my albeit limited experience with Champagne wines all Bd Noirs were mix of Pinot and Chardonnay.

8. A Y

A Y Senior member

However, BdNoir is no longer made out of 100% Pinot. Regulations even in France do not require 100% Pinot content and I frankly have not heard of 100% Pinot Champagne or ever tried one. In my albeit limited experience with Champagne wines all Bd Noirs were mix of Pinot and Chardonnay.

I find this hard to believe. What is the official definition of blanc de noirs then? All Champagne are made from three grapes: Pinot Noir, Chardonnay, and Pinot Meunier. You can use the two dark grapes to make a BDN, but not Chardonnay.

100-percent Pinot Noir Champagnes are still relatively easy to find.

--Andre

9. dkzzzz

dkzzzz Senior member

I find this hard to believe. What is the official definition of blanc de noirs then? All Champagne are made from three grapes: Pinot Noir, Chardonnay, and Pinot Meunier. You can use the two dark grapes to make a BDN, but not Chardonnay.

100-percent Pinot Noir Champagnes are still relatively easy to find.

--Andre

Andrew if you find 100% Pinot Champagne post it's name here please.
    I would love to try it.

10. A Y

A Y Senior member

A.Soutiran Perle Noire
    Egly-Ouriet (I forget the name)

Both are 100 percent Pinot Noir. I'm sure other people can recommend more.

For American sparkling wine, Schramsberg makes one, though I haven't tried it yet.

--Andre

11. dkzzzz

dkzzzz Senior member

A.Soutiran Perle Noire
    Egly-Ouriet (I forget the name)

Both are 100 percent Pinot Noir. I'm sure other people can recommend more.

For American sparkling wine, Schramsberg makes one, though I haven't tried it yet.

--Andre

Schramsberg makes BdNoir mix 85%-15% Chardonney. I tried it and found it severely lacking for it's price $27 to $35.

I try to look for A.Soutiran Perle Noire, thanks.

12. migo

migo Senior member

for everyday use, I like Martini & Rossi Asti. At $12, it's really good sweet champagne, and goes well with a lot of food. Plus I can afford to buy it every week. As for my favorite I can't say since I've not tasted a lot of champagnes, only Veuve yellow, and white star. One of the best I've tasted, however, was at a local wine festival in Les Menuires, in the French alps.

13. RJman

RJman Senior member Dubiously Honored

The most recent bottle of champagne I bought was a 1995 Pol Roger Winston Churchill. It hasn`t been opened yet but I`m looking forward to trying it.
    It would be sort of amusing to celebrate the man's birthday with a bottle of that and some cigars.

14. Renault78law

Renault78law Senior member

for everyday use, I like Martini & Rossi Asti. At $12, it's really good sweet champagne, and goes well with a lot of food. Plus I can afford to buy it every week. As for my favorite I can't say since I've not tasted a lot of champagnes, only Veuve yellow, and white star. One of the best I've tasted, however, was at a local wine festival in Les Menuires, in the French alps.

Stop buying Asti. Way too sweet, it's dessert wine and will not pair well with food. If you like your sparkling wine on the sweet side, try Freixenet NV Sparkling Cordon Negro Brut. It's $9 and readily available at the supermarket, and miles ahead of Asti, IMO. Another sparkling that is a phenomenal value is Cristalino, which is a Spanish cava, at $6/bottle.

15. GoSurface

GoSurface Senior member

Andre Champagne. Because its named after my friend, and is 4 dollars a bottle. [​IMG]

16. redgrail

redgrail Senior member

Andre Champagne. Because its named after my friend, and is 4 dollars a bottle. [​IMG]

Girls at my school drink Andre all the time, especially the peach flavored kind...
    Disgusting stuff, especially when you know can get drinkable cavas and proseccos for not that much more.

17. The Wayfarer

The Wayfarer Senior member

While it is by no means the "best" or even my favorite, Vueve is always a staple for parties my friends and I throw.

18. The Wayfarer

The Wayfarer Senior member

Blah, that shit is beyond awful. Some hipster-ass friend of mine had me try it awhile ago. I thoroughly regret even that single sip I took and immediately spat out.