• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Favorite cashmere sweater maker?

radio3

Reaction score
Time to get some cashmere. Females love a guy in need-to-touch cashmere and, except for their delicate-ness and susceptibility to moths, I love them myself as well.

Can anyone list their favorite values? Uniqlo is of course very popular. Everlane apparently too, though I’m a little scared of reports they might be more on the relaxed than slim size?

Could anyone share any more ideas for high value affordable cashmere? Extra appreciation for anyone who might be able to report a manufacturer that offers an actually interesting color.

Attachments

• 38B6D706-1D7E-4BBE-851E-6F253FB0A401.jpeg
    38B6D706-1D7E-4BBE-851E-6F253FB0A401.jpeg
    97.5 KB · Views: 832

breakaway01

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
what is your definition of "affordable"?

radio3

Reaction score
Around $150 and below. Maybe it’s cheap :). I don’t generally do luxury clothing but can stretch a little in order to have cashmere. $150 is about the limit for me, though.

breakaway01

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Derek (@dieworkwear) has written a number of good articles on quality cashmere. Basically (and I completely agree with him), high quality cashmere is expensive and you won't find a 'good' new cashmere sweater that won't pill and/or stretch out in a few seasons for under $300 retail.

At $200 and less, if you really want high quality cashmere I'd strongly recommend finding a vintage cashmere sweater on eBay, especially those made in Scotland like Pringle, Smedley, Alan Paine, Ballantyne -- the old Ballantyne though. Sometimes you'll find good value on Yoox and other sites if you know what you're looking for (Malo, Fioroni, Drumohr for example). If you want to buy new, consider merino or lambswool instead.

radio3

Reaction score
Ok thanks for the advice. I’ll look around on some of those brands. I guess it’s not the greatest time of the year to be finding good stuff on sale (basically the worst). How is the fit on vintage sweaters? Are they liable to be very “90s” fit etc? I’m slim at only 6’ 150lb. Do you find the fit very variable?

breakaway01

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm 5'10 and 140-145 lb so I understand where you're coming from. It can be hard to find vintage sweaters in smaller sizes on eBay and the like. I've had more success on sites like Yoox especially as the Italian makers generally produce trimmer-fitting sweaters.

radio3

Reaction score
Do you happen to know how good the Yoox 8 brand cashmere is? It’s competitive with Uniqlo on price and made in Italy rather than China. Maybe it’s better than most cheap stuff?

breakaway01

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
No personal experience but I think others have said here that it’s good. That being said, there’s really no way around the fact that high quality cashmere yarn is expensive. It’s kinda like asking how to find cheap gold or diamonds. The raw material is expensive.

Last edited:

Panama

Reaction score
Vintage Alan Paine was made in Surrey, then South Wales.

Jan Capek

Reaction score
Ah, the red sweater. The one thing that most men hate but know turns female heads.
(I have a theory that it is not the sweater, actually, that achives the effect. The females of the species are such suckers for masculine confidence that when they see a guy in a red sweater, they feel immediate attraction to the uber-confidence that compels him to don such attrocity).
In the price range mentioned I would suggest Patrick Assaraf, Holt Renfrew house label (or other higher-end stores' own labels), Galeries Lafayette, Autumn Cashmere, or www.shopstyle.com. Be aware however that in this price range you are getting comfortable but not durable knitwear, unless significantly discounted (Isaia cashmere of lovely colors and quality can be had from Woodbury for under 200 dollars, and I purchased a few Loro Piana ones for about the same price).

Attachments

• IMG-3227.jpg
    IMG-3227.jpg
    199.6 KB · Views: 608

southwind9

Reaction score
interesting. when did you score those loro piana and isaia?

i felt all knitwear designers have reduced their supply (selection and quantity) even to their full price store last year.

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads