1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was. I'd like to keep you abreast of the improvements we've made over the past few days.
    @notification emails have been added, in response to user requests

Attached images are now Full Size by default

Users are now all allowed three (3) links in their signature files,

SSL certification is now in place so you can all browse securely.

The server has been reconfigured so that site speeds will improve.

Notice: Right now the site is slow because we are fixing all the images from the past 4 months. Many of you noticed that these were missing, and we are fixing that problem now. Unfortunately, it is taking up a lot of resources and causing the site to be slow.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Favorite candle brand and scent

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by GusW, Nov 29, 2009.

1. fredfred

fredfred Well-Known Member

Santa Maria Novella candles are also handled via LAFCO (at least in New York, they opened the store on Lafayette near Soho).

http://www.lafcony.com/smn/

These candles are also now on sale at Bergdorf Goodman, which tells you they aren't cheap. I have two of them. The "den" smell (redwood) of the lafco candle is nice. I haven't lit the purple fleur de lis thing yet.

These are "top of the line" candles, made in Florence.

2. GusW

GusW Well-Known Member

Santa Maria also makes one of my wife's favorite perfumes.

3. GusW

GusW Well-Known Member

These candles are really beautiful. Too bad they have their brand stamped on the side.

In this case they are embossed with gold foil into the rich amber colored wax. I find that an attractive accent rather than an unsightly brand label.

The retailer who sold these told me they are made in a mountain village outside of San Miguel Mexico. They are hand made and not molded. The owner of the factory is disabled and set it up to employ local disabled people using century old candle making techniques. Here is a link (They also make hand etched glass).
    IMPORTANT NOTICE: No media files are hosted on these forums. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website. We can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. If the video does not play, wait a minute or try again later. I AGREE

TIP: to embed Youtube clips, put only the encoded part of the Youtube URL, e.g. eBGIQ7ZuuiU between the tags.

4. Korben

Korben Well-Known Member

Non soy-based candles emit benzene, a carcinogen...

before I found that out I liked Votivo Venetian Leather. It smells like pure leather.

How much benzene? I mean way back in the day in O-chem I think I might have bathed in that stuff.

5. username79

username79 Well-Known Member

I learn something new everyday here.

6. GusW

GusW Well-Known Member

Anyone get any especially nice candles for the Holidays that are worth sharing here?

7. ChicagoRon

ChicagoRon Well-Known Member

Feu de Bois is my favourite. Cire Trudon makes great candles too. I liked Empire (herbal, smoky) and Ernesto (tabac, leather) best. FrÃ[​IMG][​IMG]ric Malle is releasing a range of scented candles. I'm sure they'll be excellent but very pricey.
    Saw them in Paris last week... 60 Euro each, so I expect a $80 - $100 price tag in the states. I was told they should be burnt 2 hours at a time (not much more or less) and should be used 2-3 times per week. Each candle should last 50-60 hours. Premier Mai is an awesome scent.... I was very tempted. However, the auto diffuser box is even better.

8. Sebastian_Flyte

Sebastian_Flyte Well-Known Member

jesus christ, $50-$60 effing candles??? there's too much disposable income around here.

anyone know good ones for $10?

9. ChicagoRon

You're going to have to hit walgreens for that.

I did end up buying the Premier Mai from Frederick Malle. I love it. Have had one for about 3 months. Burn it once a week tops. It keeps the place smelling good for an entire weekend if I burn it for 2 hours on Friday and then don't cook.

10. SpooPoker

SpooPoker Internet Bigtimer and Most Popular Man on Campus

Creed Pekin Imperial is just awesome.

11. BerryWall

BerryWall Well-Known Member

Manuel Canova's Brune et d'Or is a favorite for me and my wife.

12. andrewgreg

andrewgreg Well-Known Member

I may want to buy Ernesto and try. is that good?

13. AndyMG

AndyMG Well-Known Member

I just bought my other half the Elisabethan Rose candle from Penhaligons as part of her valentines present. A truly beautiful scent. They seem to have quite a lot of their fragrances available in candle form in store.

14. starkmichael99

starkmichael99 Member

I like the smell of aromatic candles such as lavander and chamomile. I light them wen I want to relax or when I read books.

15. HORNS

HORNS Well-Known Member

16. ChicagoRon

So Fredrick Malle just came out with an air freshener spray... $140 / bottle.... CRAZY. But it works really well.

17. GusW

GusW Well-Known Member

I was in a store on Maiden Lane in San Francisco on Saturday with my wife. Everything in the store has a dark, distressed look about it (men's and women's apparel and shoes). They had candles in large jars with chains around them. Think Mad Max does candles (distressed looking dingy grays, black and rust colors). $240 each. They smelled earthy.

18. Rambo

Rambo Well-Known Member

I don't care if it smelled like the finest vaginas throughout the world, no candle is worth that much money.

Last edited: Feb 22, 2012
  19. evilgeniusdan

evilgeniusdan Well-Known Member

Le Labo Santal 26 is very nice.

20. RSS

RSS Well-Known Member

I like the scent of vervain ... assuming it's on the light side.