• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Favorite Bow Tie Shape for Black Tie?

Favorite bow tie shape for black tie?

• Butterfly

Votes: 9 47.4%
  • Batwing

Votes: 5 26.3%
  • Diamond

Votes: 5 26.3%
  • Other

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

jrd617

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I have a butterfly shape bow tie from Brooks Brothers, but I'm thinking about getting another shape as the butterfly is floppy looking. I think I prefer the diamond shape.

I suppose one of the parameters to consider is the collar type. Assume a turndown mid-spread collar.

Butterfly:

2v96qrn.jpg

Batwing:

pu91l.jpg

Diamond:
900x900px-LL-55ad58b1_untitled.png

Eustace Tilley

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Diamond for me.

Ianiceman

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
And just to be egalitarian / contrary, I like the batwing. Reminds me of that Dr. No era Connery early sixties slim lapel, slim tie, slim fit look.

The example above of the butterfly looks decent as its still narrow but the huge velvet monstrosities of the seventies are hideous versions.

What's a thistle? Same as a butterfly?

jrd617

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Last edited:

Eustace Tilley

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Last edited:

Eustace Tilley

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
49 bucks? Not a bad deal. My BB tie was $45 on sale.

Do you think the pre-tied one has a hook/clasp? I am marsupialed when it comes to bowtie tying.

Dude! A big no on the pre-tied.

This is the best instructional video I have found - give yourself a half-hour to practice and you'll get the hang of it: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VJv4Qh7zR3E

jrd617

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Dude! A big no on the pre-tied.

This is the best instructional video I have found - give yourself a half-hour to practice and you'll get the hang of it: [COLOR=008216]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VJv4Qh7zR3E[/COLOR]

Hmm I'd give that a try. I just watched it once, though the camera angle isn't the best.

Honestly though, pretied aren't as evil as clip-ons. There's no real way anyone could know it's a pretied without very close inspection.

bow-tie-clip-cm-1057-5.jpg

vs.
edwards-black-apron-bow-tie.jpg

Last edited:

Eustace Tilley

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Honestly though, pretied aren't as evil as clip-ons.

And insider trading isn't as evil as murder, but it's still a crime. Pre-tied bows are a sign of defeat, particularly when learning how to correctly tie a bow doesn't take much effort. Give it a go!

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads