• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Favorite bottles of Red for under $20?

skalogre

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Taurino, Salice Salentino.
KEO Othello (hard to find) - preferably Grand Reserve.
Boutari Naoussa.

Concordia

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Good cru Beaujolais (e.g., Morgon, Julienas, Moulin-a-Vent, et al.). The 03s were good, but you're never far from a good year if you stay with artisanal producers.

Cotes du Rhone is a reliably good deal. In fact, Parallele 45 is consistently one of the best $10 investments you can make in a bottle of red wine. Some of the higher-end Cotes from smaller producers (e.g., Tardieu-Laurent) are good buys, too, and won't generally crack $20.

Occasionally I dip into southern Italian wines. Some interesting experiences, but I can't tell you producers or even regions that were especially good.

You used to get some good minor Northern Rhones for less than $20. Graillot's Crozes or St-Joseph, for example. Those have gone the way of the overvalued dollar.

There will be some good minor Bordeaux for under $20 that can, in good years, give happy drinking. 2005 may be a year to back up the truck on those. Otherwise, some of the Grands Crus in minor years like 1997 can be excellent value. That year got crushed by overpricing as futures and merely good reviews. Talbot may be available for around $20, or Grand-Puy-Lacoste.

mbc

Reaction score
I rarely buy the same bottle twice, but a couple that come to mind are the Wild Horse Pinot Noir (usually $25 but can be had for less) and Castello di Gabbiano Chianti Classico Riserva.

faustian bargain

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
ravenswood rosemount charles shaw
laugh.gif
yes! two buck chuck! it's cheaper than water!

Mr. Checks

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'll second the red Rhones. Usually well under $20

SGladwell

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
There are a bunch of good Riojas under $20, though I don't have a bottle in front of me to give you the name from right now.

Fabienne

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I usually stay away from French wine in the US.

I would highly recommend the selection at... yes... Costco. In the 8-20 dollar range, they actually have very good choices, and the same bottles are 4 to 5 dollars more at a regular liquor store. I recently had a cab from the Kunde winery, I think it was a 2002, and it was quite decent. A few times, I have bought, at about $16, a flacon from the St Francis winery (Sonoma). As an every day wine, I have been known to get a cab by Mondavi at $8 or something like that. They also have Rancho Zabacho at under 8 dollars.

Bouji

Reaction score
M&S Macon Rouge

chrysalid

Reaction score
can anyone suggest a good budget pinot noir to be had in the uk?

Bouji

Reaction score
Originally Posted by chrysalid
can anyone suggest a good budget pinot noir to be had in the uk?
M&S Bourgogne Rouge, and slightly more expensive, but still quite cheap, M&S Nuits St. Georges

romafan

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Concordia
Good cru Beaujolais (e.g., Morgon, Julienas, Moulin-a-Vent, et al.). The 03s were good, but you're never far from a good year if you stay with artisanal producers.

Some incredibly tasty stuff is produced by Pierrre Chermette under several different labels (Domaine Vissoux and a few others)

For Zins, Cline & Ravenswood are good bets.

Find some place with a decent Italian selection and you will do OK sticking DOC designated bottles....

alflauren

Reaction score
My wine bible is the San Francisco Chronicle's wine competition winners list. I usually just buy their top selections, and I've never had a bad bottle. Plus, their top selections are usually pretty easy to come by.

They organize wines by type and price, so it's easy to pick a wine under a certain amount.

http://www.winejudging.com/medal_win...006/index.html

Tyto

Reaction score
Originally Posted by romafan

For Zins, Cline & Ravenswood are good bets.

Seconded. I'd also add Coppola's Diamond Series and Rabbit Ridge. Both can often be found at Trader Joe's or Cost Plus.

faustian bargain

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
rabbit ridge - thumbs up.

another cheapie that we like as a daily drinker is the napa ridge pinot

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads