• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Favorite boat shoes?

Kent Wang

Affiliate Vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
146467-NAV.jpg
I just bought a pair of Sperry Top-Siders and I really like them. They're more formal than sneakers and more casual than loafers. What are your favorite boat shoes?

jester

Reaction score
I wear Sperry Top-siders pretty much any time I'm not in a suit or in workout clothes. I wear through them pretty quickly (I walk a lot), and then get a new pair.

On several occasions I've tried other brands of boat shoes, but I always come back to Sperry. It's the Standard, and when I want to wear boat shoes they're what I wear, the same way I wear BB oxfords any time I wear buttondown oxfords, and would continue to do so even if [some purportedly better manufacturer] started to make buttowndown oxfords.

StevenRocks

Reaction score

kabert

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I always have preferred the sneaker-style boat shoes over mocassin ones because they fit tighter and more securely. Gives you more secure footing and you're less likely to lose a shoe on a slippery, heeled-over deck. Another bonus is they don't slip off if you go in the drink.

zjpj83

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Sperry and Cole Haan (without Nike Air)

Kent Wang

Affiliate Vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Looks like I'm off to Nordstrom's to buy another pair of Top-siders.

Stu

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have a pair of Ferragamos that I bought a few years ago at Maus & Hoffman and they have held up really well. Very comfortable, but I have never seen them again, so don't know if MH has quit making them or what.

Altho at their price point, you can't go wrong with Sperrys.

Concordia

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Sneakers are better for higher-activity sailing. But the risk is that when they get wet, they are really uncomfortable. With original Sperrys, you just pour out the water, change your socks (if it's cold) and go right back at it. And when it's hot enough that you really appreciate ventilation, the loose cut is hard to beat.

rayk

Reaction score
I've been a dedicated fan of boat shoes for 25 years, and have worn many brands.  While I've strayed from Sperry, I've always returned.  IMHO, Sperry is the real deal.  At $75 they are a great bargain, and nearly indestructible.

guitone

Reaction score
I wore sperrys for years as they fit my narrow foot to some degree. The last pair I bought were actually Rockport which fit better and seem to my eye to be made better....I don't wear these on a boat, they are just casual summer shoes for me.

NewYorkBuck

Reaction score
The last pair I bought were actually Rockport which fit better and seem to my eye to be made better

One of the very few articles of clothing that I have paid retail for was a pair of Rockport topsiders that I bought back in college - 14 years ago. I still wear them to this day.

AlanC

Minister of Trad
Reaction score
As an overal endorsement of Sperry's, I wore Sperry canvas shoes (see the member photos thread) all through college and loved them. I have a pair of Sperry penny loafers that I've worn for several years, and they still look great. I think they make an excellent shoe for the money.

Kent Wang

Affiliate Vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Wow, those LV boat shoes are beautiful; I dig the color scheme. One of the reasons why I like Sperry's is that they are available in a lot of fresh colors.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads