Favorite Beers...

Discussion in 'Social Life, Food & Drink, Travel' started by JoeWoah, Feb 25, 2008.

1. chronoaug

chronoaug Boston Hipster (Dropkick Murphy)

Duchesse de Bourgogne was awesome. Something i'm definitely going to pick up again in the near future. A girl i was hanging out with said it almost tasted like soda and wanted more as she'd never drank non-typical beer. She was hooked.

delirium tremens was pretty good. Something i'd drink again. It was just overshadowed because i liked DdB so much.

I need to get a decent glass for beer. I have tall thin glasses or wider plastic cups now.

2. skalogre

skalogre Senior member

Duchesse de Bourgogne was awesome. Something i'm definitely going to pick up again in the near future. A girl i was hanging out with said it almost tasted like soda and wanted more as she'd never drank non-typical beer. She was hooked. delirium tremens was pretty good. Something i'd drink again. It was just overshadowed because i liked DdB so much. I need to get a decent glass for beer. I have tall thin glasses or wider plastic cups now.
    Excellent [​IMG] . For the Duchess, just use a red wine glass, medium sized would do (that is what their official glass is, too). I usually use a tulip goblet for most of what I drink, I just find it to be the most flexible in the characteristics it allows through...

3. skalogre

skalogre Senior member

doublepost

4. dusty

dusty Senior member

I really like Anchor Steam right now.

5. Spencer Young

Spencer Young Senior member

Any Chicago folks had the Goose Island Bourbon County Stout? I believe it's limited release (comes in the 4 packs, costs $20). It's magnificent, pours like a liquid black hole and is sublimely smooth with its bourbon cask influence. Mmm.

6. unpainted huffheinz

unpainted huffheinz Senior member

German's Paulaner

They have awful US distribution. It was fine until the mid to late 90s and has sucked since. I cannot find the Salvator now and I live in perhaps the nation's largest beer market.

7. leftover_salmon

leftover_salmon Senior member

What I can always rely on:

Guinness
    Sierra Nevada Pale Ale
    Newcastle
    Brooklyn Brown Ale
    Brooklyn Black Chocolate Stout
    Brooklyn EIPA
    Beck's
    St. Ambroise Pale Ale
    St. Ambroise Oatmeal Stout
    Stella Artois

8. dkzzzz

dkzzzz Senior member

Lowenbrau, Carlsberg, Prosdroy, Medovar.

9. chronoaug

Ugh. I unfortunately drank more natural light the past 3-4 days than anyone should in a lifetime. I'll never get that taste out of my mouth....

10. Nantucket Red

Nantucket Red "Mr. Fashionista"

Guinnesss
    Chimay blue label
    . . . and on the other end of the spectrum . . .
    Hoegarden

11. skalogre

skalogre Senior member

Guinnesss Chimay blue label . . . and on the other end of the spectrum . . . Hoegarden
    As you're in Japan, NR, have you tried Kiuchi Brewery's Hitachino Nest White Ale? I think it is better than Hoegaarden, although not as good as Witterkerke. Very good interpretation of a Belgian witbier, IMHO. [​IMG] I like it. I also tried just recently their Espresso Stout, was pretty good. As is their Red RIce ale (very interesting, that one).

12. dusty

dusty Senior member

Ugh. I unfortunately drank more natural light the past 3-4 days than anyone should in a lifetime. I'll never get that taste out of my mouth....

What taste?

13. Nantucket Red

Nantucket Red "Mr. Fashionista"

As you're in Japan, NR, have you tried Kiuchi Brewery's Hitachino Nest White Ale? I think it is better than Hoegaarden, although not as good as Witterkerke. Very good interpretation of a Belgian witbier, IMHO. [​IMG] I like it.

I also tried just recently their Espresso Stout, was pretty good. As is their Red RIce ale (very interesting, that one).

Never heard of it, actually. Beer is my drink of last resort after gin, wine, whisky and Cognac.

That said, Yona Yona Ale is probably the best Japanese beer I've had. A while back, they produced a stout called Tokyo Black that was excellent.

I'll have to look for Kiuchi Brewery beers.

14. chronoaug

I'll probably drink these over the next week or two. At a liquor store with a good individually bottled beer selection i went with some old favorites and a few new ones i wanted to try. [​IMG]

15. skalogre

skalogre Senior member

I'll probably drink these over the next week or two. At a liquor store with a good individually bottled beer selection i went with some old favorites and a few new ones i wanted to try.

http://img143.imageshack.us/img143/8...ture042vx6.jpg

NICE!

Bavik's Witterkerke is hands down my favourite witbier (prefer it to Hoegaarden).

P.s. Bavik also make the Petrus Oud Bruin. It is related to the flemish reds like the Duchess, but less acidic and "oakier"; as its name suiggests it is a "brown" ratrher than red ale. I have not been able to have it in years, I loved it [​IMG]