Favorite Beers...

Discussion in 'Social Life, Food & Drink, Travel' started by JoeWoah, Feb 25, 2008.

1. Brad

Brad Senior member

I like Raison d'Etre as well, but I was referring to Raison d'Extra, which is a hoppier, far more potent higher alcohol variation that I would never drink more than one of and have frequently split with someone else.

Well, I certainly have egg on my face. I'm going to try to track one of those down.

The abv is 18%? That's nearly as insane as the 120 min IPA.

2. hookhook

hookhook Well-Known Member

3. pescado

pescado Member

Coopers Sparkling absolute must try

4. johnapril

johnapril Senior member

We've gotten a lot of mileage from those tall bottles of Duvel from Trader Joe's.

5. Joffrey

Joffrey Senior member

Favorite Cheap beer: Natural Light (bottles), Pabst Blue Ribbon (Cans)
    Favorite Middle of the Road Beer: Michelob, Stella, Bass
    Favorite High brow beer (as in hard to find, or at specialty Menus/bars): Weihenstephan

6. lee_44106

lee_44106 Senior member

It sounds like you're good to go. Let me know what you think of the Three Philosophers.

Really quite good. It's billed as a quadrupel, a mixture of 98% Belgian-style ale and 2% Lindemans kriek. I must say, it taste very similar to the regular Ommegang ale at first, the cherry lambic sourness only kicking in as a subtle aftertaste on the palate.

It's not an everyday drinking beer in my opinion.

7. totally epic

totally epic Senior member

It sounds like you're good to go. Let me know what you think of the Three Philosophers.
    3 Philosophers is disgusting.

8. Brad

Brad Senior member

3 Philosophers is disgusting.

I don't mind it that much, but I don't think I'd want to drink more than one 12 oz bottle.

9. chronoaug

chronoaug Boston Hipster (Dropkick Murphy)

Er, http://www.styleforum.net/showpost.p...&postcount=239.

I'm an idiot but blame 18 different beer threads for me missing it. Thank you though. I think i'll try and split it with a friend one of these days. I think they had raison d'extra but i figured i liked raspberries more than raisins.

I had Unibroue 16 a week or two ago and it was pretty good. Reasonably priced too ($9 for a 750ml 10% beer). I saw 17 at this store the other day and probably should go back to pick it up for a friend who wanted it. I like most of Unibroue's brews enough though even though it hasn't blown me away. Some have a bit of celery taste to it (maybe la fin de monde or trois pistoles) but still tasty and at the store a stone's throw from my place.

I'll probably drink my bottle of Duchesse de Bourgogne tonight. I never heard of it and being a history major, i was drawn to the bottle artwork.
    [​IMG]

edit: i thought this was interesting for all the pizza heads out there http://orbitalr0x.blogspot.com/2008/...izza-beer.html I kinda want to try it for fun as i eat a ton of pizza

10. Brian278

Brian278 Senior member

^^^You may also like St. Bernardus (the Witbier is palatable to most any beer drinker) for it's livery, as well as being a quality brewery.

11. skalogre

skalogre Senior member

I'm an idiot but blame 18 different beer threads for me missing it. Thank you though. I think i'll try and split it with a friend one of these days. I think they had raison d'extra but i figured i liked raspberries more than raisins.

I had Unibroue 16 a week or two ago and it was pretty good. Reasonably priced too ($9 for a 750ml 10% beer). I saw 17 at this store the other day and probably should go back to pick it up for a friend who wanted it. I like most of Unibroue's brews enough though even though it hasn't blown me away. Some have a bit of celery taste to it (maybe la fin de monde or trois pistoles) but still tasty and at the store a stone's throw from my place.

I'll probably drink my bottle of Duchesse de Bourgogne tonight. I never heard of it and being a history major, i was drawn to the bottle artwork.
    http://www.saveur-biere.com/images/d...urgogne-33.jpg

edit: i thought this was interesting for all the pizza heads out there http://orbitalr0x.blogspot.com/2008/...izza-beer.html I kinda want to try it for fun as i eat a ton of pizza

The Duchesse is my favourite Flemish sour red and probably one of my all-time top beers (yes, above the modern Rodenbachs - never had the R. Alexander though). Just be prepared, if you have never had a sour red before you may be in for a shock.
    If you don't want it to be too acidic, have it colder. However, letting it get closer to room temperature brings out a ridiculous amount of complexity, it can rival many complex Bordeaux wines handily. Just be prepared for the sourness.

P.s. it also ages well - I kept a few of them around for 3-4 years, the acidity went up but it also became mopre "oaky"...

12. totally epic

DdB is one of the more balanced sour ales and my favorite. Have you had La Folie from New Belgium? That shit's terrible.

13. skalogre

skalogre Senior member

DdB is one of the more balanced sour ales and my favorite. Have you had La Folie from New Belgium? That shit's terrible.

Hmm, I have tried 2-3 different ones from NB, have not been impressed. At all. Not even a price thing with me, I dont drink much so I would rather pay more for one beer to enjoy than get several to quaff down.
    I don't recall trying that one specifically but I have realised that their high-ranking over at Beer Advocate means that the tastes of the vast majority of "Belgian-style" beer enthusiasts over there are very different from mine [​IMG]

14. totally epic

Exactly. Those ratings are why I take BA reviews with a grain of salt anymore. La Folie tastes like Jolly Ranchers soaked in apple vinegar.

15. skalogre

skalogre Senior member

Exactly. Those ratings are why I take BA reviews with a grain of salt anymore. La Folie tastes like Jolly Ranchers soaked in apple vinegar.

[​IMG]

That sounds both horrid and hilarious.