• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Favorite Anime? What show do you plan on next?

faustian bargain

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
GitS
inlove.gif
... i also love the manga, and anything else by masamune shirow. Appleseed is fun to read. I also have the anime movie, but haven't gotten around to watching it yet.

I like Gundam stuff, mainly because i'm a fan of the plastic models. i like the 0083 series.

N.G.Evangelion i've watched, but i guess it never really resonated with me. i'm not 'Otaku' enough, i guess.

i watched battle of the planets when i was a kid.

there's another old-school one that i like, 'armored trooper VOTOMS'.

as you can tell i'm mostly keen on the mecha / mobile suit shows. (luckily there's a lot of them.)

Thracozaag

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Tokyo Slim
I was wondering why Koji was always depressed... now I know...
Constant exposure to Grave Of The Fireflies.

Sou desu-yo
smile.gif

koji

Get Smart

Don't Crink
Reaction score
Ninja Scroll and Wicked City are my all time faves. Lots of good anime mentioned in this thread. I'm quite partial to "chick" animes like Ranma ½ and Urusei Yatsura. Also Bubblegum Crisis (original), Gunbuster, Project A-ko, AD Tank Police, LA Blue Girl....list goes on.

Ramses

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Get Smart
Ninja Scroll and Wicked City are my all time faves. Lots of good anime mentioned in this thread. I'm quite partial to "chick" animeslike Ranma ½ and Urusei Yatsura. Also Bubblegum Crisis (original), Gunbuster, Project A-ko, AD Tank Police, LA Blue Girl....list goes on.

Reminds me of Sailor Moon, I fell in love with those girls
inlove.gif

tundrafour

Reaction score
I don't watch much anime, but agree with those who have recommended Grave of the Fireflies (depressing as hell, yes, but a fantastic movie), Miyazaki's films (My Neighbor Totoro and Kiki's Delivery Service are my two favorites), and Neon Genesis Evangelion.

TKDKid

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Arethusa
Augusto, stay away from Kenshi. The OVA is superb. It's Kurosawa in anime. The series is a pile of pathetic garbage. How the two have anything to do with eachother, I will never understand.
What didn't you like about the TV series? It's a lot closer to the original manga than the OVA. Admittedly the Tokyo arc was so-so, but I thought the Kyoto arc was great. Agree that all of the episodes afterwards were garbage though - should just get the manga.

Honorable mentions to Champloo for being awesome, if lightweight, Hellsing for being pure style over substance, and the Escaflowne movie for not being like the Escaflowne series.
I take it you mean you didn't like the Escaflowne TV series either then...
smile.gif

I don't understand why everyone loves Cowboy Bebop so much. While I liked a few of the episodes (particularly Pierrot Le Fou, Cowboy Funk and Hard Luck Woman), I found the rest of them to be pretty forgettable.

I've had Fullmetal Alchemist recommended to me - anyone seen it?

javyn

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Akira (movie)

Ranma 1/2

What else do you need

Gericaux

Reaction score
On Miyazaki:

Roger Ebert wrote that Grave of the Fireflies was the only animated film that manged to break him to tears. So profound that it broke the emotional limitations of it's medium, and it made it in his Great Movies list, along with My Neighbor Totoro (which is not depressing). Strangely enough, Studio Ghibli worked on both of these films at the same time. Imagine the dual personality disorder that ensues for the staff! I wouldn't watch 'Grave' again because it will ruin my day just like going to the funeral of someone you know. The stupor will be a genuine experience from the duration of watching the film, to several days after finishing it.

Nausicaa of the Valley of the Wind is good, but if you want more of it I suggest reading it's story from a manga that Miyazaki penned. It took him 13 years to finish it, and it is a big manga. I think it wouldn't be an overstatement to say that that manga is nothing short of a true Epic, in graphic novel form. All the narrative elements that make up an Epic are there. It's story is similair to Princess Mononoke, and I found myself delving into it from start to finish. And then re-reading it days later. Highly recommend.

To tie the topic of clothes and Miyazaki, Porco Rosso is a jolly film of his. You will see alot of suits, since it takes place in 1930's Adriatic sea. Everyone is either wearing a classic suit or pilot gear. But it is not about clothes, morsoe Air pirates and vigilantes. Still, the look of the characters match the setting. Splendid action sequences. Originally this was supposed to be a short film screened only on airflights, but turned into a full blown feature.

So thats my take.

Thracozaag

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Since we're on Miyazaki, I just re-watched Castle of Cagliostro--it's quite wonderful (slapstick style).

koji

tutee

Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
My vote would be for Macross Plus 4 episodes OAV. Considering it came out 10 years ago, the animation is jaw dropping. Not to mention a beautiful soundtrack, excellent strory and unusually well done dubbing. Subtitled version of course is a given.

It is loved by critics and fans alike, which is usually rare. & A Must for any jet aircraft / pilot / valkyrie fans.

Bear in mind, it is very little to do with the TV macross (Robotech) series.

I also liked Metropolis. The last 5 minutes (catastophy scene w/ music) are very well done.

Gericaux

Reaction score
Miyazaki's early stuff is always a gut buster, as you find the same style pervading throughout every consecutive film he's done. Lots of intricate flying, shove- eating, falling, fighting stupid Irish boxing style, cars breaking down comically, and characters on the verge of death doing the most stressful chase sequences. Oh yeah and the heroines.

Aside from Miyazaki, how can we forget Golden Boy?

Brian SD

Reaction score
Any of you seen Monster? I rarely get into any animes (those I can tolerate I really enjoy, those I can't tolerate I absolutely hate) but this one is truly excellent. The Anime Keep sub is apparently the best one. I believe its still available through torrents.

My favorites:
Hajime no Ippo
Evangelion
Monster
FLCL
Cowboy Bebop

Go Surface

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I haven't been in to anime since middle school. But movies/shows that stuck with me.

Ronin Warriors
Vampire Hunter D
Gundam
Ninja Scroll

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 36.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads