Favorite Albums

Discussion in 'Entertainment, Culture, and Sports' started by acidboy, Aug 25, 2006.

1. Alter

Alter Senior member

Reviving this thread because I rediscovered an old gem: [​IMG]

2. Bandwagonesque

Bandwagonesque Senior member

Goooooooooood call. Matthew Sweet is a power pop god, but holy shit has he gotten fat recently! I sure hope nothing's wrong with him...

If you like Matthew Sweet, Brendan Benson's The Alternative To Love is worth checking out.

3. Sharon_NBS

Sharon_NBS Member

I like many albums and bands... But my all time favourite is

The Beatles: Rubber Soul

4. gamelan

gamelan Senior member

5. romafan

romafan Senior member

Reviving this thread because I rediscovered an old gem:

[​IMG]

Divine Intervention [​IMG]

6. Droog

Droog Senior member

Who's Next - Who
    The Doors - Doors
    Are You Experienced? - Hendrix
    High Voltage - AC/DC
    Back in Black - AC/DC
    Led Zeppelin I - LZ

Am I dating myself?

Two years ago, I was on the table of the angioplasty room after resurgent heart symptoms (I had a stent go bad on me) about to get the bad news that I would need a double bypass.

Well, the technicians who work in the room are the jet pilot types in the hospital and always have rock playing. I perked up to listen and said, "Can't we do better than Bon Jovi?"

They replied, "Sure, what do you want to hear?"

I said, "How about AC/DC, but I'm not sure if 'Hells Bells' would be appropriate at the moment." They complied with some other AC/DC album.

The doctor came in a little later to give me the bad news and then asked the staff, "What's with the music?"

They smiled knowlingly and nodded, saying "Patient's choice!"

I'm doing ok BTW.

7. Bona Drag

Bona Drag Senior member

Really? Three pages and no mention of the man who made [​IMG] and [​IMG] ? Edited because 1) I didn't notice the nod to Jimi in the post directly above this one and 2) I was briefly overcome by music-snobbery-induced rage. [​IMG]

8. aportnoy

aportnoy Senior member Dubiously Honored

Divine Intervention [​IMG]

Altered Beast is quite good too. "Devil with the Green Eyes" and "Someone to Pull the Trigger" are in constant IPod rotation.

9. Bandwagonesque

Really? Three pages and no mention of the man who made

[​IMG]

and

[​IMG]

?

Edited because 1) I didn't noticed the nod to Jimi in the post directly above this one and 2) I was briefly overcome by music-snobbery-induced rage. [​IMG]

After the cover song thread, I've think the majority of the forum couldn't give a damn about Bob Dylan. How anybody can say Bryan Ferry's versions are superior to the original is beyond me. Sometimes this place can become just one big Bryan Ferry circle jerk. [​IMG]

10. aportnoy

aportnoy Senior member Dubiously Honored

After the cover song thread, I've think the majority of the forum couldn't give a damn about Bob Dylan. How anybody can say Bryan Ferry's versions are superior to the original is beyond me. Sometimes this place can become just one big Bryan Ferry circle jerk. [​IMG]

Dylan is about as good as it gets. I doub't anyone other artist can compete with the sublime quality of this list (just a sample of his best)...[​IMG]

Another Side of Bob Dylan
    Bringin' It All Back Home
    Highway 61 Revisited
    Blonde on Blonde
    The Basement Tapes
    John Wesley Harding
    Blood on the Tracks
    Desire
    Infidels
    Slow Train Coming

11. Bandwagonesque

Yeah, that list pretty much nailed the essential Dylan. But I would add Freewheelin', Times..., and the compilations, Biograph, Bootleg Vol 3, Live 66 and 75.

12. Bona Drag

Bona Drag Senior member

I edited my post because I didn't want to start a huge music dork flame war, so instead of wagging my finger at other members I'll just say amen to aportnoy (although I don't know about the last two - no pun intended, har har...).

It's sort of cheating because it's not a studio album, but my desert island album would be Live 1966, without a doubt.

Also, I realize this thread is for favorite records, not a generic list of the all-time greatest; the above two happen to be a couple of my faves, but there's a ton of really good stuff on here, so keep 'em coming.

13. Bandwagonesque

I just start the musical flame wars. I'm not cool enough to carry it through and defend my choices while bashing others. [​IMG]

Yeah, it's a tough call between listing "the classics" and really good under appreciated stuff.

14. Alter

Alter Senior member

I just start the musical flame wars. I'm not cool enough to carry it through and defend my choices while bashing others. [​IMG]

Yeah, it's a tough call between listing "the classics" and really good under appreciated stuff.

The point of this thread, I thought, was to identify great albums...in that the whole work is exemplary. Because of that I have ignored alot of musicians that I love because, though there are stallar songs, the album in totality is lacking something.

But that's just me.

15. countdemoney

countdemoney Senior member

Still their best.

[​IMG]