Favorite Airports

Discussion in 'Social Life, Food & Drink, Travel' started by mm84321, Mar 21, 2011.

1. Bohdathone

Bohdathone Senior member

+1 on Copenhagen. Nice facilities and great design. Dubai's Emirates-only terminal is good, but it's better to be in one of the lounges as getting a seat at the Burger Kings/Starbucks etc can be tough at busy times. Heathrow T5 has some nice shops/restaurants

BKK Suvarnubhumi is pretty nice, and I never seem to have to queue at Changi which is cool. Really want to check out Incheon after the recs here.

I was a bit disappointed by Narita when I was there a few weeks ago. The duty-free was below average which is a real shame when Japan is known for its great retail.

Doha is also very below average in terms of shops/restaurants which is surprising given the huge wealth of Qatar. Bahrain also isn't up to much.

Djibouti in East Africa is as crap as you'd expect. Addis Ababa has had some money spent on it and looks surprisingly good, but the service is total junk, as are the shop and cafe

2. Douglas

Douglas Stupid ass member

As domestic airports go, I know people love to hate on O'Hare and SFO, but I've had decent luck at both. I think both have nice enough terminals - nice and open, with not horrible food selection. The int'l terminal at SFO is particularly decent. Having BART run right out of there is nice. I hate the inter-terminal tram at O'Hare and their security fairly much sucks (as it does just about everywhere) but the nice open feel of terminal 1 is not half-bad.

I fly out of Dulles a lot and I really am not a fan. The buses are goofy though it's really the small, confined-feeling terminals I dislike.

Worst airports: Heathrow is a joke. The Brits generally do such a good job with public-use facilities and organization, so I think they must have done Heathrow as a cruel experiment.

I have had an awful time with JFK. Also Newark.

3. gastarbeider

gastarbeider Senior member

ICN.

it's been awhile, but i found it unremarkable.

+1 on Copenhagen. Nice facilities and great design. Dubai's Emirates-only terminal is good, but it's better to be in one of the lounges as getting a seat at the Burger Kings/Starbucks etc can be tough at busy times. Heathrow T5 has some nice shops/restaurants

BKK Suvarnubhumi is pretty nice, and I never seem to have to queue at Changi which is cool. Really want to check out Incheon after the recs here.

I was a bit disappointed by Narita when I was there a few weeks ago. The duty-free was below average which is a real shame when Japan is known for its great retail.

Doha is also very below average in terms of shops/restaurants which is surprising given the huge wealth of Qatar. Bahrain also isn't up to much.

Djibouti in East Africa is as crap as you'd expect. Addis Ababa has had some money spent on it and looks surprisingly good, but the service is total junk, as are the shop and cafe

bkk even worse.

schiphol gets my vote for ease of access.

4. Bananafish

Bananafish Senior member

I don't think it's been completed yet, but Shenzhen International in China will be a modernist architectural marvel when it's finnished!

My favorite in the US is easily Dulles Airport in DC, the original main terminal designed by Eero Saarinen. It's an amazing building.

O'Hare in Chicago is kinda neat too.

And I always enjoy stopovers at LAX for cocktails at the space age Encounter lounge. The rest is nothing special though.

I really like Charles De Gaulle in Paris as well - amazingly cool and way mod architecture!

Airports in Europe and the East (Zurich, Munich, Hong Kong, Tokyo, Singapore, etc) are just insane... they're more like mega malls with theatres, arcades, shopping, restaurants, etc. It's certainly way more convenient for long layovers, but I find them far too busy and overwhelming. I'll take the classic era of jetset when personalized catering and service came before expediency... those were the days of high livin'!

5. globetrotter

globetrotter Senior member

I love O'hare as a home airport - I can get pretty much anywhere from here.

I like miami - it has the best airport food, in my opinion

Lima airport is pretty good

Narita is pretty good, good food, good lounges

Changi is great.

the new Ben Gurion is a great airport

Istanbul is a very good airport

Munich is very good

Frankfurt and Amsterdam have a very special spot in my heart, I have spent a lot of time in them.

I like heathrow 5, its actually gown on my, and the available food and beer isn't bad

6. Bananafish

Bananafish Senior member

Forgot to mention Barajas in Madrid as well!

7. ama

ama Senior member

LGA and JFK (with the exception of the international terminal) are absolutely horrific.

8. Bananafish

Bananafish Senior member

I like miami - it has the best airport food, in my opinion

I usually fly into FLL but where do you eat at MIA?

9. globetrotter

globetrotter Senior member

I usually fly into FLL but where do you eat at MIA?

La careta - its my favorite, cuban food really lends itself to being carried on.

10. Spats

Spats Senior member

In US? LGB, blast out of the past. Hope they never remodel it (or have they)? ALL other US airports suck, designed by sadists who have deep understanding of the psychology of making the inhabitants feel off guard and uncomfortable. One would feel better in a cattle feed lot.

11. Imhoff

Imhoff Senior member

Rather enjoyed Schiphol airport in Amsterdam.

Absolutely hate the airport at Nashville.

12. Neo_Version 7

Neo_Version 7 Senior member

Rather enjoyed Schiphol airport in Amsterdam.

+1

13. cptjeff

cptjeff Senior member

Forgot to mention Barajas in Madrid as well!

Yeah, I've been there, it's quite nice.

But O'Hare? There is a reason I call that place the Hub of all Evil. The airport is indeed nice enough, but your schedule gets dicked up every time you fly through there. Without fail.

14. Unregistered

Unregistered Senior member

15. Jokerman

Jokerman Senior member

I like the new addition to RDU. Really no way for you to fuck up since its pretty much a straight shot.