• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Faux Buttonhole stitches or no?

Albern

Reaction score
Originally Posted by a tailor
yes albern its true, a substantial foundation is needed to make buttonholes. on the coat front you have two layers of wool fabric and one layer of canvas between. on sleeves you need two layers of wool fabric and two layers of wiggan in between.
wiggan is the cotton reenforcement at the sleeve bottom.

Thank you "a tailor" for confirming this for us.

In regards to the wiggan where is it exactly? Would it be under the fabric at the bottom of the sleeve? I always thought that what felt like an additional layer was just the fabric being folded underneath itself.

brittain

Reaction score
Originally Posted by porcelain monkey
It's a personal decision. I have working buttonholes put on my Black Label suits.

same here. Some of my suits came with the faux stuff, but everything that comes with a plain sleeve gets functional holes.

a tailor

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
what i just wrote about is for real buttonholes. you do not need those under layers for faux buttonholes.

Albern

Reaction score
Originally Posted by a tailor
what i just wrote about is for real buttonholes. you do not need those under layers for faux buttonholes.

I see. Thanks.

elippsis

Reaction score
a little off topic but..I heard adjusting the length of the sleeve is difficult with functioning cuffs, but can it be done? and how much (length) can be done easily by your tailor?

Thanks.

83glt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by elippsis
a little off topic but..I heard adjusting the length of the sleeve is difficult with functioning cuffs, but can it be done? and how much (length) can be done easily by your tailor?

Thanks.

It depends. How much length will be added/removed, and if in doing this alteration the existing button holes end up too close to or to far from the cuff. Even worse, if you're shortening the sleeve and you end up with the cuff right in the middle of where the existing buttonholes are. Obviously that's not going to work and will just look silly. But if you're just making a minor alteration of say 1/4 to 1/2 an inch, you can probably get away with it on most jackets.

83glt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by cgo
I would like that however it might be costly no?
I think you can usually get it done for about $10 a hole. So $80 a jacket - assuming each sleeve has 4 holes.

Albern

Reaction score
a little off topic but..I heard adjusting the length of the sleeve is difficult with functioning cuffs, but can it be done? and how much (length) can be done easily by your tailor? Thanks.
Originally Posted by 83glt
It depends. How much length will be added/removed, and if in doing this alteration the existing button holes end up too close to or to far from the cuff. Even worse, if you're shortening the sleeve and you end up with the cuff right in the middle of where the existing buttonholes are. Obviously that's not going to work and will just look silly. But if you're just making a minor alteration of say 1/4 to 1/2 an inch, you can probably get away with it on most jackets.
I heard that depending on how the jacket was made, even with surgeon cuffs the sleeve can be lengthened or shortened from the shoulder. Again it depends on a number of factors which can include the amount of fabric available, how tapered (?) the sleeve is to be able for it to be re-fitted onto the arm hole, etc... It isn't impossible but if is done it is more complex, and requires more time and money.

Journeyman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Thanks.

It can be done by a competent tailor, but it will be a lot more expensive than adjusting from the cuff end of the sleeve.

As an example, my tailor in Australia charges me $40 to shorten a sleeve at the cuff, but $160 to shorten from the sleevehead (at the shoulder). This is, quite simply, because the latter involves a lot more work.

Typically, a sleeve can only be shortened at the shoulder by a couple of inches, otherwise the sleeve will no longer fit into the hole at the shoulder. Also, if the fabric of the suit is patterned and the shoulder/sleeve/chest are pattern-matched (that is, the stripes/checks in the fabric pieces match up where they meet together at the shoulder), you will most likely lose this if you shorten the sleeve at the shoulder, unless you are fortunate enough to shorten the sleeve to precisely the same scale as the fabric pattern.

I hope that this helps.

83glt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Albern
I heard that depending on how the jacket was made, even with surgeon cuffs the sleeve can be lengthened or shortened from the shoulder. Again it depends on a number of factors which can include the amount of fabric available, how tapered (?) the sleeve is to be able for it to be re-fitted onto the arm hole, etc... It isn't impossible but if is done it is more complex, and requires more time and money.
That's definitely true. Forgot about that method. As you said, it can't be done on every jacket, and I wouldn't trust but the experienced tailor to do it. I have had it done on at least one jacket with great results. It did cost more though.

elippsis

Reaction score
Thanks for all the great replies. I was actually thinking of very minor adjustments, about .25 or .50 inches...I assume that would be quite simple?

zjpj83

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks for all the great replies. I was actually thinking of very minor adjustments, about .25 or .50 inches...I assume that would be quite simple?

yes

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads