• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

fathers - what do you do to instil "physical culture" on your kids?

chorse123

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by globetrotter
do you have kids? serious question - it just seems like kids don't play outdoors at all anymore, at least not alone. I miss that too, but you never see kids under maybe 10 outdoors without an adult any more. and you never see a pickup game of anything, anymore, either.

Tell that to the kids who set up a basketball hoop in front of my building in the summer. They're bouncing bad shots off cars all day and all night. Or were. Which is crazy, because there are three parks within three blocks.

I think sports is a great learning tool for kids. Life lessons and all that.

Beta

Reaction score
Originally Posted by thekunk07
i coach baseball and basketball for my oldest, soccer for my middle son. we do push ups together. they know i go to the gym all the time and want to know when they can start lifting.

we ride our bikes together. we swim indoors together throughout the winter. play wiffle ball and football as a family. and basketball.

they are limited to 1.5 hrs of either tv or video games each day, unless it's brutally cold out.

i also let them take turns injecting me with deca-durabolin-just kidding.

make sure they learn to aspirate properly at a young age!

thekunk07

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
^they keep hitting my sciatic but they're young. they will learn.

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My son is in hockey and soccer seasonally, as well as Karate. I am not much of a team sport guy, and my skating sucks, so I can't really do much with him there. However, he knows that I am really interested in martial arts, so he is really interested in his karate, and I will help him correct his stances (teachers don't concentrate on proper footwork anymore, it seems) hip rotations, and so on.

I have also given him the 100 pushup challenge. When I am feeling chilly in the house, I often pump out 30-50 and do some sprawls just to get my heart rate up a bit. My one and a half year old daughter thinks that this is the greatest thing, and tries to do the same stuff. (I'm trying to get her to do a straight right - progress has been spotty). She is a great coach, always asking for "more". Anyway, my son decided that he wanted in on the action. I promised him a WII if he could do 100, with only 3 10 second stops along the way. He is not up there yet, (up to about 50 with 3 stops), but I got him a WII for Christmas anyway. So now he is working his way towards some WII games. I may introduce some other challenges - if he can sidewind the length of our dining room and living room under a certain number of seconds, or if he can beat X number of sprawls in 3 minutes, and so on.

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Flambeur
It's actually sort of real to me - I'm thinking of going back to martial arts and doing judo or jiujitsu - I basically want something interesting that I can practice till I'm 70, and as much as I love MT/BJJ/MMA, I just don't think it will do my body good for a prolonged period of time now that I'm getting older.

I would think that BJJ is better for old dudes than Judo. I don't know any judo (wish that I did), but there seems to be a lot more flying through the air than in any BJJ dojo I've trained at. Muy Thai and MMA though, yeah... I can't see how that much impact can be good for your body, especially in the long term.

globetrotter

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by LA Guy
My son is in hockey and soccer seasonally, as well as Karate. I am not much of a team sport guy, and my skating sucks, so I can't really do much with him there. However, he knows that I am really interested in martial arts, so he is really interested in his karate, and I will help him correct his stances (teachers don't concentrate on proper footwork anymore, it seems) hip rotations, and so on.

I have also given him the 100 pushup challenge. When I am feeling chilly in the house, I often pump out 30-50 and do some sprawls just to get my heart rate up a bit. My one and a half year old daughter thinks that this is the greatest thing, and tries to do the same stuff. (I'm trying to get her to do a straight right - progress has been spotty). She is a great coach, always asking for "more". Anyway, my son decided that he wanted in on the action. I promised him a WII if he could do 100, with only 3 10 second stops along the way. He is not up there yet, (up to about 50 with 3 stops), but I got him a WII for Christmas anyway. So now he is working his way towards some WII games. I may introduce some other challenges - if he can sidewind the length of our dining room and living room under a certain number of seconds, or if he can beat X number of sprawls in 3 minutes, and so on.

cool.

do you know your son's teacher? I tried working with my son a little on his TKD, they really don't work on kids stances or mechanics very well, but I felt uncomfortable, I didn't want to undermine his teachers authority.

but, this whole problem wouldn't exist if they tought kids striking arts well. it seems like everybody opens up a dojo for kids, but none of them work on mechanics or stance very well. my preference would be to take a striking art with my son, or at least work with him on one.

yeah, and I started with my son pushups and sittups at night, I was going to raise his allowence on his birthday, and instead "pay" him a buck a week to do 25 of each every night with me.

but I guess the big question to me is - my son knows that I go to the dojo a few times a week. I have hanging boxing gloves and armor drying around the house, but he really isn't interested in boxing. I work with him sometimes, for maybe 5-10 minutes at a time, and then his attention falls off. I don't know if it is his attention in general, or what. but he can talk about ******* pokemon for 3 hours. any idea why your son is interested in your martial art?

globetrotter

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I would think that BJJ is better for old dudes than Judo. I don't know any judo (wish that I did), but there seems to be a lot more flying through the air than in any BJJ dojo I've trained at. Muy Thai and MMA though, yeah... I can't see how that much impact can be good for your body, especially in the long term.

yeah, judo seems to start higher up, with farther to fall. when I was younger, I thought that I would take up akido before I got to this age, but I really haven't slowed down that much.

jpeirpont

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by MetroStyles
I don't have kids yet, no. It's really a shame that they don't play outside anymore - I'm only 24 and even during my (recent) childhood (ages 7-15), all I'd do after school and in the summers was play outside. Going to the pool, pickup games of baseball (a la Sandlot), football, soccer, TONS of pick-up Bball, other assorted games like Pickle/Spud, Wiffleball. Man, that was the life for sure.

Being a kid must suck today.

+1 I remember rushing through my homework so I could go out and play touch football or basketball.

ken

Banned by Request
Reaction score
So now he is working his way towards some WII games. I may introduce some other challenges - if he can sidewind the length of our dining room and living room under a certain number of seconds, or if he can beat X number of sprawls in 3 minutes, and so on.
That's cool. If I had some reward for physical activity as a kid, I probably would have been a better athlete and had a more competitive edge. Instead, I got rewarded for grades, so I'm an engineer. Yargh. My old man used to just set up a few cheap weight sets in the basement. A couple times a week, our whole family would go down there and lift. I still remember the tips he gave me (back straight, proper stance, rudimentary stuff like that) and we'd have a lot of fun doing burpies and pushups and squats. If all you have is 20 minutes, light lifting is the best thing you can teach a kid. I also remember watching him work out alone just about every morning before he left for work and how my friends used to call him Superman because his biceps were twice the size of their own fathers'. So, yeah, your kid will remember your part in his physical youth.

TyCooN

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
but I guess the big question to me is - my son knows that I go to the dojo a few times a week. I have hanging boxing gloves and armor drying around the house, but he really isn't interested in boxing. I work with him sometimes, for maybe 5-10 minutes at a time, and then his attention falls off. I don't know if it is his attention in general, or what. but he can talk about ******* pokemon for 3 hours. any idea why your son is interested in your martial art?
I wouldn't be too worried about it. I used to do nothing but sit there with my thumb up my AZZ, and play video games as a kid. Once I started boxing I quit video games. People start boxing because they want more confidence, so if you can make him hungry for confidence he'll become a candidate for the sweet science. Knowing that you can throw down when the time comes does a lot of good for you, it's unexplainable. I'm not suggesting your son goes starting fights with other kids.

I wouldn't say I'm athletic at all in the sense that I enjoy sports. The only one I put any hard effort into is boxing. When my friends go off to play basketball I find something else to do.

Joe E Taleo

Reaction score
I was just talking to a co-worker about this. I'm already destined to be an old dad (I don't have kids yet, but if I have one this year I'll already be in my mid 30s), and I'm worried that I won't be able to keep up with them. I'll have to make an effort to push athletics somewhat. I guess I'll just have to allow options and see what sticks. The bjj suggestion sounds good, as it seems like something that I should be able to do in my forties and fifties, and it will also teach a child some self-defense.

Also, with regards to teaching kids boxing, what are kids classes like? I imagine that they don't start sparring until they're a lot older, and that they use big gloves and big head gear to prevent concussions?

globetrotter

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Joe E Taleo
I
Also, with regards to teaching kids boxing, what are kids classes like? I imagine that they don't start sparring until they're a lot older, and that they use big gloves and big head gear to prevent concussions?

yes and no, they spar, but with a lot of padding and they aren't really that strong.

thekunk07

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
i'm glad we had the kids young. boundless energy is needed with 3 boys.

NorCal

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Judo actually sounds great. I'm trying to get my boy (8) interested in BJJ but so far no luck. We swim together (mom as well), ride bikes, and try to get outdoors as much as possible. Just last weekend we went out to the Point Bonita Lighthouse (On the NW side of the San Francisco bay) and hiked all over. I'm lucky because we can play outside about 10+ months out of the year. We're also lucky in that it is a super safe family oriented neighborhood and he can play outside on the street with the other boys from the block.

NorCal

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
but he can talk about ******* pokemon for 3 hours. t?

I feel your pain, the bloody Pokemon obsession is enough to make a grown man cry.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads