• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Fat/skin(?)/general looseness left around midsection after weight loss--what to do?

wmmk

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hey SF,
I post a lot in the streetwear threads, but am a noob to this part of the forums.

So, I'm 15 and had always been a very kid until about 7 years ago. I've never been obese or "fat," but I was rather pudgy for a while. Anyway, I was 6'0," 190 lbs. in May and am now closer to 6'1," 153 lbs. Regardless of the weight loss, I still have a bit of unwanted looseness around the belly button and in the upper thighs.

I'm not going for popping 8-pack abs or anything, but would like to tighten up that area in general without losing too much weight. Any tips on doing this well?

Also, I was a bit worried that the ~6-7 years of being close to overweight would make it hard to have a tight midsection without filling excess skin with muscle (as I said, I don't like the aesthetic of popping muscle). Might that end up being a problem? Anything I can do about it?

Thanks much,
wmmk

MetroStyles

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Is it loose skin or is it fat? Shouldn't be too hard to tell.

wmmk

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
There seems to be a bit of fat on the back/sides of the thigh bones. The stuff in front seem to be more like loose skin, but there isn't tons of it.

MetroStyles

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by wmmk
There seems to be a bit of fat on the back/sides of the thigh bones. The stuff in front seem to be more like loose skin, but there isn't tons of it.
You are young enough that you should be fine, I'd think. The last few pounds are the hardest to get off, especially that stubborn fat around the midsection. You will have to keep up the cardio and healthy eating, but I'll let someone like Eason take care of the details. Since you are getting pretty light for your height, make sure to keep lifting to maintain muscle mass as you get the fat off. In short, you still have a ways to go so keep it up!

wmmk

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Interesting, thanks.

I get that cardio and healthy eating should get rid of the fat, but does the loose skin just gradually take care of itself as I grow [taller, older, etc.], or will I have to fill it with muscle mass?

Also, I actually haven't really been lifting? Any tips on lifting to increase total mass & get some definition while still keeping slim and being able to fit into regular slim clothes?

MetroStyles

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by wmmk
Interesting, thanks.

I get that cardio and healthy eating should get rid of the fat, but does the loose skin just gradually take care of itself as I grow [taller, older, etc.], or will I have to fill it with muscle mass?

Also, I actually haven't really been lifting? Any tips on lifting to increase total mass & get some definition while still keeping slim and being able to fit into regular slim clothes?

Should be tons of good threads on stuff like this if you do a search on this forum.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads