• I'm happy to introduce the Styleforum Happy Hour, our brand new podcast featuring lively discussion about menswear and the fashion industry. In the inaugural edition, a discussion of what's going on in retail today. Please check it out on the Journal. All episodes will be also be available soon on your favorite podcast platform.

• Styleforum Gives - Holiday Charity Auction 8: Cuir de Russie card case from Equus Leather

We are very proud to present this year's edition of the Styleforum Holiday Charity Auctions, this year in support of the Ronald McDonald House Charities of Spokane (www.rmhcspokane.org). Each Auction lasts 24 hours. Please follow and bid on all the auctions.

The 8th auction is for a Cuir de Russie card case from Equus Leather. Please bid often and generously here

Fok and the Styleforum Team.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Fat/skin(?)/general looseness left around midsection after weight loss--what to do?

wmmk

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hey SF,
I post a lot in the streetwear threads, but am a noob to this part of the forums.

So, I'm 15 and had always been a very kid until about 7 years ago. I've never been obese or "fat," but I was rather pudgy for a while. Anyway, I was 6'0," 190 lbs. in May and am now closer to 6'1," 153 lbs. Regardless of the weight loss, I still have a bit of unwanted looseness around the belly button and in the upper thighs.

I'm not going for popping 8-pack abs or anything, but would like to tighten up that area in general without losing too much weight. Any tips on doing this well?

Also, I was a bit worried that the ~6-7 years of being close to overweight would make it hard to have a tight midsection without filling excess skin with muscle (as I said, I don't like the aesthetic of popping muscle). Might that end up being a problem? Anything I can do about it?

Thanks much,
wmmk

MetroStyles

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Is it loose skin or is it fat? Shouldn't be too hard to tell.

wmmk

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
There seems to be a bit of fat on the back/sides of the thigh bones. The stuff in front seem to be more like loose skin, but there isn't tons of it.

MetroStyles

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by wmmk
There seems to be a bit of fat on the back/sides of the thigh bones. The stuff in front seem to be more like loose skin, but there isn't tons of it.
You are young enough that you should be fine, I'd think. The last few pounds are the hardest to get off, especially that stubborn fat around the midsection. You will have to keep up the cardio and healthy eating, but I'll let someone like Eason take care of the details. Since you are getting pretty light for your height, make sure to keep lifting to maintain muscle mass as you get the fat off. In short, you still have a ways to go so keep it up!

wmmk

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Interesting, thanks.

I get that cardio and healthy eating should get rid of the fat, but does the loose skin just gradually take care of itself as I grow [taller, older, etc.], or will I have to fill it with muscle mass?

Also, I actually haven't really been lifting? Any tips on lifting to increase total mass & get some definition while still keeping slim and being able to fit into regular slim clothes?

MetroStyles

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by wmmk
Interesting, thanks.

I get that cardio and healthy eating should get rid of the fat, but does the loose skin just gradually take care of itself as I grow [taller, older, etc.], or will I have to fill it with muscle mass?

Also, I actually haven't really been lifting? Any tips on lifting to increase total mass & get some definition while still keeping slim and being able to fit into regular slim clothes?

Should be tons of good threads on stuff like this if you do a search on this forum.

Styleforum is proudly sponsored by

Featured Sponsor

How many pairs of shoes do you own?

• 1 - 4

Votes: 32 3.8%
  • 5 - 10

Votes: 143 17.1%
  • 11 - 20

Votes: 276 33.1%
  • 21 - 30

Votes: 130 15.6%
  • 31 - 40