• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

FAT is not your enemy

TheHoff

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
And for losing weight, a low-carb diet is much tastier than a low-fat diet...
Later the National Institutes of Health would hold a “consensus conference” that concluded there was “no doubt” that low-fat diets “will afford significant protection against coronary heart disease” for every American over the age of 2. The American Cancer Society and the surgeon general recommended a low-fat diet to prevent cancer. ... But when the theories were tested in clinical trials, the evidence kept turning up negative. As Mr. Taubes notes, the most rigorous meta-analysis of the clinical trials of low-fat diets, published in 2001 by the Cochrane Collaboration, concluded that they had no significant effect on mortality. Mr. Taubes argues that the low-fat recommendations, besides being unjustified, may well have harmed Americans by encouraging them to switch to carbohydrates, which he believes cause obesity and disease. He acknowledges that that hypothesis is unproved, and that the low-carb diet fad could turn out to be another mistaken cascade. The problem, he says, is that the low-carb hypothesis hasn’t been seriously studied because it couldn’t be reconciled with the low-fat dogma.
Diet and Fat: A Severe Case of Mistaken Consensus http://www.nytimes.com/2007/10/09/sc...ca4&ei=5087%0A

adversity04

Reaction score
I read that article yesterday and it was pretty "DUH" for me, but I already knew that fat in itself isn't bad for you. It doesn't produce the hormonal response that carbs do which is why people bulge. You just have to healthy natural fats. Olive oil, nuts, avacado and a slew of others. Grass fed animal fat is actually pretty healthy due to the nutrients that can be found in there, just not all the excess which should be cut off. I plan on getting Taube's book when I have time to read it.

redcaimen

Bigtime
Reaction score
Originally Posted by TheHoff

Diet and Fat: A Severe Case of Mistaken Consensus

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/10/09/sc...ca4&ei=5087%0A

I see where you are going with this, and its downright "chilling" in its implications. Lets not start that argument again, Hoff.
devil.gif

Gradstudent78

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by TheHoff

I tend to think it's probably more about eating the right kind of carbs and the right kind of fat, more then low either one.

adversity04

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Gradstudent78
I tend to think it's probably more about eating the right kind of carbs and the right kind of fat, more then low either one.

Everything in moderation. The majority of diets in the US are probably too high in carbs.

tiecollector

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Gradstudent78

+1. There is nothing wrong with butter and animal fats or cholesterol.

greg_atlanta

Reaction score
A low calorie diet is much more effective than a low fat or low carb diet.

Brian278

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by greg_atlanta
A low calorie diet is much more effective than a low fat or low carb diet.

No ****, but since you have to eat a certain amount of calories every day, it's not a bad idea to know what form is preferable to take them in.

tiecollector

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Most people in the US get tons of excess calories from High Fructose Corn Syrup. Stay away! I couldn't believe how much weight I lost by avoiding it.

gumercindo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Personally, I go the low fat/low carb way. I try to avoid a lot of fat (butter, etc.), but try to indulge in the "good" fat (the stuff low in saturated fat).

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads