• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Fat Guy Help

jb7761

Reaction score
First and foremost this forum is great, been reading for days and decided to jump in.

I am fat, consequently finding proper fitting clothing tends to be a struggle. Being fat and non proportional makes buying a suit near impossible. I had managed to build up a decent collection of clothing but then decided it was time for a life change and started a diet/exercise program where I have lost just over 60lbs

I have made all the possible alterations made to every suit I own (short of a recut) but I have run out of options, I need to make some new purchases.

I am not done with my weight loss but a few events coming up will require the purchase of one or mores suits. Since I hopefully will shrink out of them I don't want to break the bank.

Currently I am 6ft even, 225lbs. My chest measure 43, and my waist 41 (very disproportional). When I head to the department stores I always end up in a 46/47R suit in order to provide the proper pant size and jacket over belly size but this leaves the upper part of the suit simply lacking.

Anyone else out there proportionally similar? Do you have any recommendations? Remember I am still loosing so I don't want to break the bank here.

Thanks

ragdoll

Reaction score
Buy a cheap suit and have it altered until you are done with your weight loss.
Congratulations on getting in shape; it will make purchasing a new wardrobe even more gratifying.

Concordia

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I'm in something of the same boat, but with 46/47 chest, wide shoulders, and short-ish legs for someone of my height.

Sadly, bespoke is the only way I can shop with confidence. If you're expecting to lose a lot of weight, my only advice would be to get a few classic suits that can be worn every other day, and buy them from a cheap custom tailor. HK or Mr. Ned, something like that. By the time they show wear from the extra use and dry cleanings, you'll be ready to start over.

Some tailors can cut down their work to make it last longer-- the Savile Row shops can often work small miracles there.

You might find that a DB jacket survives that surgery better than SB, given that the square bottom is easier to adjust. I say that last bit without actual knowledge, however.

For RTW, it sounds as though you need pleated trousers and a heavily draped style on the jacket, to provide room on the back and chest. I don't know precisely who carries those-- maybe RL?

Another option would be suit separates from Brooks or similar. They tend not to be the very most expensive options, and are pretty classic looking. Buy a large enough jacket to fit the shoulders/chest, get trousers separately, take them both to a really good alterations tailor.

FriscoSoxFan

Reaction score
I've been a lurker here for a while, but this is my first post.

You might want to take a look at Syms. They usually have a decent size rack of both "athletic" and "Portly" cut suits. The athletic cut suits are a 8" drop and the portly cut suits are a 4" drop. Most suits can be let out or taken in on the pants 2". So, with a 2" drop as you have, you might be in business. Then you could keep taking them in as you go along.

jb7761

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Concordia

Another option would be suit separates from Brooks or similar. They tend not to be the very most expensive options, and are pretty classic looking. Buy a large enough jacket to fit the shoulders/chest, get trousers separately, take them both to a really good alterations tailor.

The notion of seperates has crossed my mind a few times, the options just sem so limited there. I will have to do more digging.

You also say to buy a large enough jacket to fit shoulders/chest but when I do that I cant button it due to the waist, this can be fixed with alterations? Most stores keep upping the jacket size until I buttons comfortably which leaves me with lots of extra room in the chest shouders.

Concordia

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by jb7761
The notion of seperates has crossed my mind a few times, the options just sem so limited there. I will have to do more digging.

You also say to buy a large enough jacket to fit shoulders/chest but when I do that I cant button it due to the waist, this can be fixed with alterations? Most stores keep upping the jacket size until I buttons comfortably which leaves me with lots of extra room in the chest shouders.

Ah-- I misunderstood. For that, you might have to go custom.

Although the Brooks sack cut is more generous in the waist than many, and sort of narrow across the chest for a given size, IIRC. Color options are limited, of course, but if you're only getting one or two to tide you over, how eccentric can you afford to be?

JBZ

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Given your height and weight measurements above, you're not THAT heavy. Still, you're probably right on the cusp of needing to go to a big and tall store (at least for tailored clothing). My guess is that B&T stores deals with folks having your measurements on a regular basis, and probably have suits cut to fit them. Also, since you're still losing weight and don't want to spend a lot at this point, a reasonably priced suit is probably the way to go (don't go custom - it will be extremely expensive for a suit you won't be wearing for the long haul).

BTW, welcome, and good luck with the weight loss (you've already made some great progress). I've been there. It's a tough road, but worth it.

Teacher

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Welcome, jb, and congrats on your continuing weight loss! I used to sell suits, and what you need to look for is "portly cut" suits. They will have more generous wiast and hip measurements than most traditionally cut suits. JC Penney at least used to have a stock/special order program with lots of options in this area. Good luck, and update us!

jmatt

Reaction score
Try the separates at JosABank. Not the highest quality, but not the highest price either. A decent suit to bridge the gap between your old weight, and whatever your new weight and shape will be.

Also, you could buy sportcoats from ebay and odd trousers as well. Brooks Brothers Jackets can be had for $30. They tend to have the "sack" shape, which would allow you the most room in the waist for any given chest size. Buy a 44 chest. Not a permanent solution, but for $30 while you're still losing weight, you'll be better dressed for the money than most people you'll see.

jb7761

Reaction score
Originally Posted by jmatt
Try the separates at JosABank. Not the highest quality, but not the highest price either. A decent suit to bridge the gap between your old weight, and whatever your new weight and shape will be.

Also, you could buy sportcoats from ebay and odd trousers as well. Brooks Brothers Jackets can be had for $30. They tend to have the "sack" shape, which would allow you the most room in the waist for any given chest size. Buy a 44 chest. Not a permanent solution, but for $30 while you're still losing weight, you'll be better dressed for the money than most people you'll see.

I will have to look on ebay, good advice. Buying online scares me, but if the price is right......

I did look at JosABank seperates online, the price is right but I really wanted to try some things on. When I went to the store I was completely turned off with the sales staff, they quickly move you toward the most expensive items in the store and when I made it clear that I was not committed to purchasing but rather gather information I could not get ANY help!

Rolo

Reaction score
Originally Posted by jb7761
I will have to look on ebay, good advice. Buying online scares me, but if the price is right......

eBay is what I've been using during my "transition" phase. I've just knocked off 15% of my body weight with about another 10% to go. My old stuff is too big to cut down and I don't want to invest too much until I stabilize my weight.

eBay has been a great source for items to carry me through. You can even make more than a few mistakes and still be much better off from a financial perspective.

rdawson808

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My local SYMS also carries "portly" sizes. I'm not sure how extensive it is, or what is really available, but they are available. I suspect other SYMS stores must also.

Good luck with it.

bob

Cuff Link

Reaction score
I have been in your situation both on the way up in pounds and on the way down. Forget the "portly." The pants will be bags on you.

Try the separate route at Jos. A. Bank during one of their perpetual sales. They have good quality at the mid price mark and that's were you seem to want to be.

Keep on losing. Be proud of your loss. You are not fat by any realistic definition.

Cuff

teacha.gif

Teacher

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Cuff Link
I have been in your situation both on the way up in pounds and on the way down. Forget the "portly." The pants will be bags on you.

Not if he has, as he says, a two inch drop. And not if the trousers are cut and altered correctly. And don't forget that different suits are cut and styled differently. I fitted a good many gentlemen into portly cut suits that flattered their physiques, where the "regular" cut suits (manufacturers' name, not mine) would have made them look like Oliver Hardy.

jb7761

Reaction score
Thanks all, it seems that seeking out "portly" cut suits may be the best bet at this time. A 44 fits so much better than a 46 on the upper body and if the "portly" version of the 44 gave me just a wee bit more room in the waist then the 44 would probably button and lay well.... not pull a bit like a regular 44. That combined with the smaller drop in waist size should work decent.

I am going to miss some of the suits / sports coats that I have to get rid of... sniff sniff... but I get to look forward to sometime next year when I am no longer fat, and hopefully proportional and can buy quality clothing that will look good and last!

In the mean time it looks like there is a few cheap department store "portly" suits in the cards. Better fit and lesser quality should look better than quality but no fit.

Jason

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 38.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads