1. Styleforum Gives - Holiday Charity Auction 7: A Made-to-Measure suit from Lanieri

We are very proud to present this year's edition of the Styleforum Holiday Charity Auctions, this year in support of the Ronald McDonald House Charities of Spokane (www.rmhcspokane.org). Each Auction lasts 24 hours. Please follow and bid on all the auctions.

The 6th auction of the year is for a Made-to-measure suit from Lanieri. Please bid often and generously here

Fok and the Styleforum Team.

Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Fasting

Discussion in 'Health & Body' started by Stu, Oct 12, 2004.

1. Stu

Stu Distinguished Member

I was wondering if anyone had ever tried fasting. I did it on a lark the other day -- actually I had liquids. Went the whole day with some coffee in the a.m. and had a couple rounds of carrot-garlic-grape juice made in the juicer, some tea in the afternoon, 2 cups of chicken broth in the evening and tons of water throughout the day. Not a true starvation fast, but the next day I really felt better.

I was thinking of doing this maybe once a week or every 10 days to get my weight down, cholesterol under control, shrink my stomach and detoxify.

Any doctors on here who can speak to this?

2. tjmaglio

tjmaglio Active Member

Stu,

You're really willing to go through all this just to avoid exercising?

3. marc37

marc37 Senior Member

l am very experienced with fasting, l have supervised and undergone many fasts. l am busy now but l will write some more tommorrow. Fasting is an interesting topic. Fasting is very dangerous for inexperienced people.

l recommend fasting 2 days a week and one 10 day fast per year. (You should fast a total of 114 days in the year).

Best way to introduce yourself to fasting is to have only oranges in the morning for breakfast.

People that eat less live longer and have less disease.

Fasting starves cancer and other disease.

Only fast on water no longer than a day (the pollution is to harmful). Fast idealy on wheatgrass juice. You can fast on wheatgrass juice safely.

4. T4phage

T4phage Distinguished Member

Oh no Stu, what have your started...... [​IMG] Marc, don't go on about "Breatharism", people as orchids indeed.

5. Stu

Stu Distinguished Member

Actually, I failed to mention that I am hitting the treadmill M-F for 30 minutes each day of brisk walking that gradually builds up to hard running followed by 5 minutes of cooling down. Marc37: Â Hold off on the wheatgrass lectures about the freaky couple from Boston: I'm not going there [​IMG] You are correct, though in that fewer calories means longer, healthier life. I'm not crazy about a 10-day fast -- I love food too much for that. I'm just trying to get my craving for food down a bit, and the day followng my juice fast, I found smaller portions satisfied me. That and my cholesterol is 236, which is way too high for age 39.

6. marc37

marc37 Senior Member

That is exactly what a fast does Stu, stops cravings for food. A healthy clean intestine = better absorption of nutrients, therefore less need to eat.

Here are recommended herbs for fasting:
    Psyllium Seed Husks (drags out the gunk)
    Shavegrass
    Black Walnut Hulls
    Alfalfa
    Oatstraw
    Pumkin seed (ground up)
    lrish Moss (not the booze)
    Cascara Sagrada
    Licorice root
    Yucca
    Marshmallow root
    Blue viotlet leaves
    Slippery Elm
    Capsicum
    Passion Flower
    Mullein leaves
    Witch hazel
    Hibiscus flower
    Wheatgrass juice

Fasting= more energy, better memory and feeling of well being, better digestion, easier learning, happiness.

Regular fasting is the key to internal purification and weight loss.

P.S: Stu, l won't bore you with technical details, l will only mention benifits of fasting. (l could type for months on end about fasting but l will try and exercise control)

7. Debaser

Debaser Well-Known Member

The human body doesn't exactly like to function without food.

I'd like to see some actual research backing fasting, not new-age pseudo-science.

8. marc37

marc37 Senior Member

Debaser: the only reason why the body doesn't function well [when fasting] is because the body is in detox mode. There is evidence everywhere about fasting, just do abit of research.

9. nightowl6261a

nightowl6261a Distinguished Member

Lay off the caffeine, which is a natural dehydrating drug and actually will intensify the pang for food, not to mention messing with your keytones, which fasting can do as well...keeping a good balance in your keytone numbers is the most important factor in any food withdrawal from your body...it can effect your heart and kidneys.
    I think fasting can be a real good cleansing process for the body, but you must take actual consideration of your bodies protein needs as well...try instead of the tea, on a fast day, drinking a gallon of water, and a supplemental drink like ensure, it will provide the natural nutrients the body needs, without actually adding unwanted bulk to your system. And DO NOT, take a multi-vitamin on an empty stomach to provide extra zest to your day, the vitamins can actually eat a whole in you stomach lining causing an ulcer. I only give this advise based on experience from dieting the last 18 months to finally loosing 70 pounds.

10. Leo Jay

Leo Jay Senior Member

I'm not a doctor, but I will just offer that if detoxing is a goal, you should be sure to use only ORGANIC fruits and veggies, broth, etc..

11. Brian SD

Brian SD Moderator

I agree that fasting is an excellent way to reduce food cravings. I fast once or twice a month, usually drinking water and vegetable juice only.

12. Kai

Kai Distinguished Member

I fast for 24 hours once a month for religious reasons. No food, no water.

Can't say that it has been good for me, but it doesn't seem to have hurt me either.

13. matadorpoeta

matadorpoeta Distinguished Member

i have fasted for spiritual reasons rather than purely physical ones, but here's my take the physical side of it.

DO NOT drink caffeine... it's terrible for your body whether you're fasting or not, and taking it while fasting will only amplify it's effects.  

to me, fasting means ingesting water and nothing else. no juices, no fruits, only water, but i'm a purist. one of the benefits as i see it is that after a couple of days of this, when you do start to drink juice, have soup, etc... you will cease craving heavy, greasy foods.

if you fast for 2 days, you won't wake up on the third day wanting a bacon cheeseburger.  you'll gain an awareness about how your body reacts to different foods and you will naturally, without effort, crave lighter, healthier foods.

14. Debaser

Debaser Well-Known Member

"detox mode"? Sounds like more pseudo-science to me. What processes take place physiologically during "detox mode"? What is it "detoxifying" exactly? I looked for credible evidence. Found none. Would you care to post a link?

15. T4phage

T4phage Distinguished Member

(marc37 @ 13 Oct. 2004, 12:10) Debaser: the only reason why the body doesn't function well [when fasting] is because the body is in detox mode. There is evidence everywhere about fasting, just do abit of research.
    "detox mode"? Â Sounds like more pseudo-science to me. Â What processes take place physiologically during "detox mode"? Â What is it "detoxifying" exactly? I looked for credible evidence. Â Found none. Â Would you care to post a link?
    Debaser, you've just encountered one of Marc37's peculiarities [​IMG] If you search in the section of Body Consciousness you will find a heck of a lot more. Don't be surprised.