• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Fastest Windows Vista Notebook!

Tokyo Slim

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by ghulkhan
Its called years and years of experience with PCs. I was a PC loving Mac hating person too at one point but then I found the light.

GQGeek, do not advocate that Vista is reliable. It is common knowledge that is unrealiable. The majority of people have had terrible experiences with it. You cant use your own experiences to draw conclusions. Almost everyone who has switched to Mac loves it and despises the PC. I dont have an inferiority complex. In fact I think I am superior to you in everyway imaginable, all because I have a Mac and you dont...

Hahahaha... I love the misinformed opinons offered up with no hard evidence.

Here's some contrary evidence for you. Seems like Vista is "outperforming" all the sales estimates. Sales of Vista are up 5% over last year, and that equals out to about 4.14 billion dollars in Windows last quarter, and a 13-14 billion dollar total company revenue.

Yeah, sounds like everyone hates it enough to only buy 4 Billion bucks worth of it in three months.
smile.gif

GQgeek

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by ghulkhan
Its called years and years of experience with PCs. I was a PC loving Mac hating person too at one point but then I found the light.

GQGeek, do not advocate that Vista is reliable. It is common knowledge that is unrealiable. The majority of people have had terrible experiences with it. You cant use your own experiences to draw conclusions.

Ok, I can't use my experience but you can use those of random people on the internet? I have it instlled on 2 computers. I write code, connect to VPNs for system admin stuff, run home theater and play games on my vista machines. I had a little trouble with cisco vpn and ms had to release a patch for visual studio, but other than that i'm not having any problems, and neither are 10s of millions (probably in the 100s now) of other users. Drivers were/are the #1 problem and those are a) not in microsoft's hands b) maturing as we speak.

I also run a medium-sized network of windows machines and downtime is essentially non-existant. It's very rare that I hear anyone complaining about crashing XP. The XP machines are controlled by group policies (so they or others can't install random **** or do anything they're not allowed to do) and i've not really had to touch/fix them since installing SP2. This just points to the fact that users are generally the problem, not the OS. This is the exact same thing as home users with Vista and UAC. People will disable it and then start complaining about **** getting on to their computers or vista not working properly.
baldy[1].gif
baldy[1].gif

I suppose my experience doesn't count though, right? I only have to work with hundreds of these so-called unreliable machines...

Almost everyone who has switched to Mac loves it and despises the PC.
All 50 of them?
laugh.gif
Mac has always filled the needs of a very small niche. It's completely worthless in corporate and most home environments.

Edward Appleby

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I understand the appeal of the more economical Apple models. I really do. What I don't understand is why people who aren't in graphic design, publishing, or video editing shell out huge bucks for superpowerful Macs that can run- gasp- Warcraft III! What is the point of a high performance computer, for personal users, outside of gaming?

Brian SD

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Edward Appleby
I understand the appeal of the more economical Apple models. I really do. What I don't understand is why people who aren't in graphic design, publishing, or video editing shell out huge bucks for superpowerful Macs that can run- gasp- Warcraft III! What is the point of a high performance computer, for personal users, outside of gaming?

I'm not sure why either, to be honest. However, you can install Windows on Apples these days, so your gaming library can extend a lot farther than War3. I play TF2 on my MBP near every day.

BrettChaotix

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I haven't switched from XP to Vista yet (well, legitimately anyway - I do have it installed on test workstations) because aside from the pretty new interface and the embedded search feature there isn't much reason to yet. Vista's most crippling problem is too many versions and price bloat. Vista Ultimate should cost $99 in my opinion - it's already proven more successful than the ill-fated Windows ME... but not that much more successful. I've been testing Vista for over 3 years now (back when it was still named Longhorn) and have seen major features scrapped because MS couldn't make them work. I'm eagerly waiting for Vista SP1 to see what they can bring back into the OS but for now I can't justify the cost (and headaches) involved with deploying Vista to my 100+ workstation environment just to be cutting edge. Hell, plenty of companies didn't complete their XP migrations until the last couple of years! There is a "free" copy of one of the early builds, now dubbed "Longhorn Reloaded" available that includes some of scrapped components such as WinFS and a revamped console interface that supports some pretty cool stuff. Now, if you ask me if OSX is superior to XP, I'll say yes. If you ask me if OSX is superior to a WELL PATCHED AND SECURED XP I will say no for a variety of reasons - some of the biggest being hardware support and software availability. If you ask me if I think Linux is superior to both - I'll say yes - hands down.... but not for the average consumer. Even then, FreeBSD is my personal OS of choice. Yes,yes - I know OSX is built on a FreeBSD (unix) kernel - I love being able to open the console and run unix commands but they've crippled it to make it safe and user friendly, it just doesn't hold up to a true *nix OS. The OSX86 project is running strong! If you know what you are doing you can install a copy of OSX on a home-built machine for a fraction of the cost of Apple hardware. I've been playing with the OSX86 builds for over a year and they are a pain **********. If you've got $400 and a lot of determination, you can build a sub-compact OSX laptop off of this Acer model that normally comes with Linux out of the box.

flashback

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Tokyo Slim
Who are you talking to, because none of your points have anything to do with what I said?

A: In six months the Mac will not be the fastest laptop.

B: Six months after that, the laptop that was the fastest then will not be the fastest, so who gives a ****?

C: Apple has a PROVEN history of crippling their laptops performance to save heat (so they can squeeze it into that sleek little case you love. Sounds like this one is juiced up a bit, meaning that its either A: running hot which will affect its long term reliability, or B: A miracle.

No, I rounded $2419 plus the cost of a full version of Windows Vista Home Premium,($240) up to 3k.

Either way, spending that much on any laptop is marsupialed, Alienware, Gateway, Apple, I don't care.

apple's also have the highest resale value, so in 6 months when there's a faster computer (probably another mac) you could sell it for far more than a 6 month old pc laptop and then upgrade. in the long run it would cost you LESS because of the amount you'll get back for it.

to your point C, thats why they switched to intel. like, over a year ago.

Tokyo Slim

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by flashback
apple's also have the highest resale value, so in 6 months when there's a faster computer (probably another mac) you could sell it for far more than a 6 month old pc laptop and then upgrade. in the long run it would cost you LESS because of the amount you'll get back for it.

to your point C, thats why they switched to intel. like, over a year ago.

You obviously haven't read a damn thing I've said, so until you catch up with my current points, I'm not going to bother responding to whatever main point you think you made here (that I refuted/disproved pages ago).

And if you think Apple stopped crippling their processors when they switched to Intel, you are sadly mistaken. As a matter of fact, its when they became most egregious, since they were completely unprepared for the heat output of modern processors.

flashback

Reaction score
you clearly haven't read what I posted, so I will not be responding to you NOR will I be reading your current or future posts, which are CLEARLY and DEFINITIVELY filled with unsubstantiated poppycock

Tokyo Slim

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by flashback
you clearly haven't read what I posted, so I will not be responding to you NOR will I be reading your current or future posts, which are CLEARLY and DEFINITIVELY filled with unsubstantiated poppycock

A: What you posted was irrelevant and an issue that I already addressed.

B: Your second point was incorrect.

C: Have fun ignoring me. If you can't make a coherent statement or rebuttal, quitting is the only other option you really have. Ignorance is the last stronghold of the weak-minded.

Tokyo Slim

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
A handful of weeks later, MBP no longer the fastest Windows Vista Notebook by a long shot. Welcome to Quad Core bitches. Yes, its ugly, and expensive as crap, and the battery and screen suck... but speed wise, this thing whips the **** out of the MBP in all categories.

Brian SD

Reaction score
A handful of weeks later, MBP no longer the fastest Windows Vista Notebook by a long shot.

Welcome to Quad Core bitches.

Yes, its ugly, and expensive as crap, and the battery and screen suck... but speed wise, this thing whips the **** out of the MBP in all categories.

You are hilarious.

Tokyo Slim

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Brian SD
You are hilarious.

I'm just trying to keep everyone updated.

DNW

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
A handful of weeks later, MBP no longer the fastest Windows Vista Notebook by a long shot.

Welcome to Quad Core bitches.

Yes, its ugly, and expensive as crap, and the battery and screen suck... but speed wise, this thing whips the **** out of the MBP in all categories.

Dude, that's not a laptop. It's a desktop in a slim case.

ratboycom

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by BrettChaotix

If you've got $400 and a lot of determination, you can build a sub-compact OSX laptop off of this Acer model that normally comes with Linux out of the box.

Thats an Asus brotha. I am holding out for the second gen batch of EEE's, who the **** needs a super fast notebook. Desktops are for serious work. Notebooks are for scrotal Hyperthermia and dickin around on the net/working on the go. I would not be comfortable playing games at a cafe with some monstrosity of a laptop, then again who the **** plays games in a cafe?

Tokyo Slim

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by DarkNWorn
Dude, that's not a laptop. It's a desktop in a slim case.
You argue semantics. It folds closed and can be held in your lap. It certainly won't be blowing away in a stiff wind at over 11lbs... but hey - thats 5lbs lighter than my last laptop!

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 59 39.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 15 10.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 26 17.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 26 17.3%

Forum statistics

Threads