• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

fast weight loss; how fast, how long?

dryice

Reaction score
so i was just wondering if anyone here is like me... my weight fluctuates between 180 to 150 every few seasons. i blame mcdonalds and wendy's and large stints of deep thought (nothingness). right now i'm at 160, down from 180 2 months ago. i'm trying to get back down to 150 if not 145 and i've decided i'd cheat a little bit. lots of black coffee, vitamins, <500 calories a day, and 4-5 mile runs along the hills. 2,000 calories w/ 4 mile runs is too slow, about 1lb a week. I'm going to see if i can effectively drop down to 152 by the week's end. the ultimate goal being 145. so yea, any other interesting weight loss stories or methods?

my apc new standards are coming this week!

Spencer Young

Reaction score
I can't help but think that at sub-500 calories, you'll shock your body into barebones survival mode and really slow down your metabolism, while at the same time lose a lot of muscle. I don't believe there's a healthy way to lose weight that will stay off, save for exercise and reasonable, healthy eating.

corbu

Reaction score
that doesnt sound good at all.... if you want the fastest, look into the PSMF diet.

odoreater

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
yup, at that rate, a lot of the weight you are going to be losing will be muscle. if you like that anorexic, just got out of a concentration camp look, then go for it.

Goblin

Reaction score
Originally Posted by odoreater
if you like that anorexic, just got out of a concentration camp look, then go for it.
The sad thing is, that's what a lot of people are going for. You know what I blame this on the breakdown of? Society.

mizanation

Reaction score
goblin, is that a koan? cuz it fried my brain.
icon_gu_b_slayer[1].gif

arenn

Reaction score
I don't see how it is possible, except for people with favorable metabolism, to lose more than about a pound a week in a sustainable fashion. As a rule of thumb, you need to burn off a net 3500 calories for lose a pound. That's 500 calories per day of the week, or 20-25% of a 2000-2500 calorie daily diet.

Impulse155

Reaction score
i jus got off losing over 30 lbs and...
wuts the big rush doing it slower makes it turn out better.
dont go anorexic, it will stun ur metabolism and just make u gain it back 10x easier. Happened to my bro he wouldnt eat till dinner, lost like 20 lbs, and then gained it all back in lik 2-3 weeks.

jus watch wut u eat, cardio, working out is al good stuff, since u said fast foods the problem, try to limit urself to it or cut it out all together...

in otherwords DONT DO IT

Geran

Reaction score
Now this may sound a little crazy but my girlfriend's an anorexic and she's about 1.70 metres tall, 40 kilograms. She's very thin and extremely cautious about her weight.

I'm not about saying that what she does is healthy or anything or I recommend you becoming an anorexic but there are a couple of good tips to learn from them when it comes to fast weight loss.

1. Drink 2 glasses of iced water BEFORE eating. This will make you fuller(thus eating less) and your body burns more calories to warm up the temperature in your stomach.

2. Diet pills: Try Xenical or Reductil or any product with Hoodia. Works like a charm.

3. Be conscious about your weight. Avoid Macdonalds, Wendys, Carl. Jrs... start checking out that organic farm product store or try Subway instead(they have calorie listings of their sandwiches, Veggie Delight is the lightest: 226 calories)

4. Eat only twice a day. No more than 500 calories.

5. If tempted to eat, then chew the food in your mouth, savour the taste; then SPIT IT OUT. This helps deal with the frustation from dieting and enjoy the food at the same time, without the weight gain.

6. Avoid CARBS. Its disgusting and piles up on your thighs. Avoid rice, pasta, bread, etc.

7. Clear your fridge of everything! Go shopping at a gourmet supermarket. Keeping expensive food in your fridge will make you more conscious about eating them, thus eating less.

8. Because of the vitamin-deficient diet tips mentioned above, remember to take 2 multi-vitamin pills 2 hours BEFORE the DIET pills.

Hope that helps.

colin_

Reaction score
please ignore almost everything the guy before me wrote.

do not eat less than 500 calories a day. your body will go into &quot;starvation mode&quot; meaning anything you start eating will be stored as fat. your metabolism will go to **** and this means your body will be slower at burning calories (LOSING WEIGHT). The whole &quot;your body uses calories to battle the icewater&quot; is minimal and unnecessary.

this way of dieting is extremely unhealthy and will be temporary. anything you drop you'll gain back then some, because you went about it the wrong way.

the best way to lose weight, and keep it off, is a good diet with exercise, and don't get too crazy too fast.

edit: CARBS DISGUSTING AND PILES UP ON YOUR THIGHS? Please never give nutritional advice again.

do NOT be afraid to eat carbs.

Tuerney1

Reaction score
Couldn't agree more that less than 500 calories a day is a poor choice. Given your activity level, I'd suggest something along the lines of 1100-1500 calories per day, about 40% protein, 40% carbs and 20% fat (by calories, not weight). Stick with lean protein sources (fish, chicken, egg whites) and get the fat from healthy sources (a little olive oil, salmon, etc.). As for the carbs, certainly they aren't disgusting, but I do think there is a recommendation to avoid sugars and starchy carbs while you are trying to lose weight quickly. Vegetables, fruits (particularly those on the lower end of the GI spectrum) and limited/moderate whole grains (such as slow cooked oatmeal or whole wheat bread) can provide all the carbs you need. I'm no expert, but I lost 80 pounds in about four months and kept it off, working out for an hour a day six days a week and eating per the above. Now, I can eat much more (although I tend to stick with the same, healthier (relative to fast food at least,
laugh.gif
) kinds of foods). A typical day of weight loss would look something like this: Breakfast: 2 egg whites, small serving of oatmeal or one cup berries or one half grapefruit Mid-morning snack: lowfat cottage cheese or lowfat yogurt Lunch: Sliced turkey, asparagus, peach, a small salad with olive oil and a little vinegar Afternoon snack: chicken breast or hard boiled egg Dinner: Salmon, cauliflower, apple, small salad with olive oil and a little vinegar Evening snack: skim milk latte or protein bar I usually had an additional snack or two (such as an orange or some protein) around the time I worked out, so ate about eight times a day, just fairly small portions. My two cents, at least, for whatever it's worth.
smile.gif

arenn

Reaction score
Originally Posted by colin_
do not eat less than 500 calories a day. your body will go into "starvation mode" meaning anything you start eating will be stored as fat. your metabolism will go to **** and this means your body will be slower at burning calories (LOSING WEIGHT). The whole "your body uses calories to battle the icewater" is minimal and unnecessary.

I think this ice water (or cold beer, as the case may be) story was an urban legend started by ignoring the fact that calories in the United States are in fact kilo-calories. (Check product packing in the UK, for example, and you'll actually see KCal)

The route to sustainable weight loss is simple - but like many things also difficult:

- Eat 400 or so calories less than you RDA in a balanced diet. I would recommend about 1500/day for an adult man. Don't skimp on protein. You can up this once you reach your target weight.

- Eliminate or severely restrict alcohol intake, along with that of any sugary drinks. Consider, one beer or coke per day is 150 calories, which is about 1.5 miles of running to burn off. It's an intake of 54750 calories per yer, meaning you'd have to burn off an extra 15 pounds per year just to break even! Plus, the more you drink, the more likely you are to lose your discipline and eat that late night burrito.

- 30-40 minutes aerobic exercise such as jogging 5-6 days per week

- Modest strength exercises (core strengthers like crunchers or plank exercises and basic weigh-lifting) every other day, expecially if your aerobic exercise is leg-centric. You only need about 20 minutes of this.

That's it. Ramp up a bit more aggressive if you like, but I recommend not going overboard because the whole point is to make a sustainable lifestyle change.

Gradstudent78

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
"Warming 8 ounces of ice water up to body temperature uses only 8.75 calories."

This is from the washington post if anyone is interested:
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-srv...s/calories.htm

Thats a pretty small amount, but if you drink alot of water every little bit helps. I wouldn't make a weight loss plan out of it though.

1500 for the average man is a little low. I was losing about one lbs a week on 2300, but I was also working out a couple days a week.

Goblin

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Geran
Now this may sound a little crazy but my girlfriend's an anorexic and she's about 1.70 metres tall, 40 kilograms. She's very thin and extremely cautious about her weight.

I'm not about saying that what she does is healthy or anything or I recommend you becoming an anorexic but there are a couple of good tips to learn from them when it comes to fast weight loss.

1. Drink 2 glasses of iced water BEFORE eating. This will make you fuller(thus eating less) and your body burns more calories to warm up the temperature in your stomach.

2. Diet pills: Try Xenical or Reductil or any product with Hoodia. Works like a charm.

3. Be conscious about your weight. Avoid Macdonalds, Wendys, Carl. Jrs... start checking out that organic farm product store or try Subway instead(they have calorie listings of their sandwiches, Veggie Delight is the lightest: 226 calories)

4. Eat only twice a day. No more than 500 calories.

5. If tempted to eat, then chew the food in your mouth, savour the taste; then SPIT IT OUT. This helps deal with the frustation from dieting and enjoy the food at the same time, without the weight gain.

6. Avoid CARBS. Its disgusting and piles up on your thighs. Avoid rice, pasta, bread, etc.

7. Clear your fridge of everything! Go shopping at a gourmet supermarket. Keeping expensive food in your fridge will make you more conscious about eating them, thus eating less.

8. Because of the vitamin-deficient diet tips mentioned above, remember to take 2 multi-vitamin pills 2 hours BEFORE the DIET pills.

Hope that helps.

This has been a banner weekend for idiotic posts, but I declare the competition closed.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 89 37.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.1%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads