• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Fashion Waistcoats

Sharkie

Reaction score
Waistcoats have arrived this year but how should we wear them.. or should we at all? any advice?

heard546

Reaction score
I have 2 waist coats. One is a dark charcoal grey from Band of Outsiders which I wear with a charcoal grey Hickey suit. The other is an I.N.C I picked up from Macy's on sale today. I plan to wear both with jeans and slacks eventually.

nordicstyle

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Sharkie
Waistcoats have arrived this year but how should we wear them.. or should we at all? any advice?

This year? People have been wearing them since 1666. If you are planning to get one just because the models in the catalogs are wearing them this season, I suggest you don't.

If, however, you want to wear them because you like them, I suggest you wear them however you want. Say with a shirt or a jacket, or both.

Cary Grant

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I picked up a pale green linen waistcoat in London. Wear it with a tan linen suit... also with a pair of blue slacks... with a dress shirt and tie on each occasion.

Zenny

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Wear them with a tee and a fedora and be prepared to be punched inthe face.

Jay_1989

Reaction score
^ just copped a bunch of stuff from there, good looking out man. some great deals

Albern

Reaction score
My apologies if this sounds like a dumb question but what exactly is a fashion waistcoat? Is it the same thing as one that's part of a three-piece suit or an odd vest, or is it something to be worn more casually with jeans as a few posters had mentioned above?

heard546

Reaction score
Have you seen a 3-Piece suit. It's the vest worn underneath the jacket.

Albern

Reaction score
Originally Posted by heard546
Have you seen a 3-Piece suit. It's the vest worn underneath the jacket.

Umm... Yes I do know what a 3 piece suit is; I guess I wasn't clear in my question above. What I mean is what exactly is the difference between a waistcoat and a "fashion" waistcoat; is there a difference at all? If not, why not just call it a waistcoat.

Butterfly

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Albern
Umm... Yes I do know what a 3 piece suit is; I guess I wasn't clear in my question above. What I mean is what exactly is the difference between a waistcoat and a "fashion" waistcoat; is there a difference at all? If not, why not just call it a waistcoat.
Or why not just call it a weskit?
smile.gif
I suspect 'fashion waistcoat' may refer to the odd pieces worn apart from a suit, with jeans, etc. I've seen it around. As long its worn with a real shirt and not a tee underneath, I'm not going to complain even though I'd never wear it.

Albern

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Butterfly
Or why not just call it a weskit?
smile.gif

I suspect 'fashion waistcoat' may refer to the odd pieces worn apart from a suit, with jeans, etc. I've seen it around. As long its worn with a real shirt and not a tee underneath, I'm not going to complain even though I'd never wear it.

Yeah that's what I figured given the comments made by the OP and earlier posters above. So it's a vest primarily to be worn with jeans.

I too wouldn't wear one with jeans but as long as it's not a t-shirt I suppose it's fine. Thanks.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads