• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Fashion vs. Style Question ...

Ianiceman

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
So for some time now the main focus of men's clothing seems to have been on 'fit', and close fitting suits and jackets are usually accepted as the most flattering. An example can be seen in the makeover thing they do each month in GQ where they take a schlubby looking bloke and re-dress him almost wxclusively in close fitting duds with nipped waists, flat fronts etc I'd like to think that this will be the case for many years but we all k ow the insidious wheels of fashion never stop turning.

I saw a flick called Jersey Girl recently made around 1990 with Dylan MacDermot wearing huge shouldered Michael Jordan style jackets. I'm sure he and his contemporaries all thought he was the dogs bollocks back then but I felt a collective shudder on behalf o all the SF regulars at seeing his 'fits where it touches' threads.

Just wondering how many SF veterans were also on that bandwagon, or did they eschew it even in the face of peer pressure, and what will happen to us all when the tide inevitably turns away from natural fitting stuff and back towards linebacker shoulder pads, triple pleat strides and llanding strip lapels?

in stitches

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
was in grade school at that time but i cant imagine wearing clothes like that. i would like to think i could resist the pressure if things ever turned back in that direction

changy

Reaction score
maybe its a basketball player thing?

ppkdr.jpg

Circa 1962

patrickBOOTH

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Ianiceman
So for some time now the main focus of men's clothing seems to have been on 'fit', and close fitting suits and jackets are usually accepted as the most flattering. An example can be seen in the makeover thing they do each month in GQ where they take a schlubby looking bloke and re-dress him almost wxclusively in close fitting duds with nipped waists, flat fronts etc I'd like to think that this will be the case for many years but we all k ow the insidious wheels of fashion never stop turning.

I saw a flick called Jersey Girl recently made around 1990 with Dylan MacDermot wearing huge shouldered Michael Jordan style jackets. I'm sure he and his contemporaries all thought he was the dogs bollocks back then but I felt a collective shudder on behalf o all the SF regulars at seeing his 'fits where it touches' threads.

Just wondering how many SF veterans were also on that bandwagon, or did they eschew it even in the face of peer pressure, and what will happen to us all when the tide inevitably turns away from natural fitting stuff and back towards linebacker shoulder pads, triple pleat strides and llanding strip lapels?

I don't think there has been as much volatility amoung the classicly dressed folks over the years. Fashion has cycles, however classic styling tends to ignore a lot of the extremes pushed by the media.

Nicola

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think one of the reasons for the more fitted look is a backlash against the little boy look. Too many people in oversized clothes look like their mothers bought a size too big hoping the kid would grow into them.

Outside of the stuff that is so tight it pulls or can't even be buttoned I don't think much of the more fitted stuff is that out there.

Nicola

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I would think obesity would lead to more tight clothes. You see plenty of people looking like stuffed sausages.

Hell many of the people here who like slim fitted stuff aren't tiny.

changy

Reaction score
That said, I am curious to see where jil sander will be in 20 years time.

patrickBOOTH

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Somebody here on Styleforum made a really good point not too long ago and I totally agree, if anybody remembers who it was remind me. They said that in the effort to wear clothes that fit people end up wearing clothes that are simply too small.

Many novice style fans see clothes that fit a person and their initial thought whether subconscious or not is that they are tight, or slim or whatever. They themselves take it to the extreme because they don't know anymore than what first meets the eye.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 59 39.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 15 10.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 26 17.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 26 17.3%

Forum statistics

Threads